What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

Received my order of Mogno today along with the three sticks of La Toja, Simpson Trafalgar T2 brush and a British spiral handle tech razor. Ended up using the Simpson, Mogno and tech for the shave today. The scent, lather and slickness of the Mogno are superb and of the highest European traditions. Mogno will be joining Stirling and La Toja in having a permanent spot in my soap rotation

It's been a month now since my first use of Mogno: Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ach-brito-mogno-a-new-old-school-classic.593821/post-11311210 and so my initial enthusiasm has somewhat dropped since.

One thing that I have discovered is that lather tends to dry up rather quickly, much quicker than my other soaps. This is to say, while the lather is very good while hydrated, it loses its qualities if you're one of those guys who enjoy a nice, relaxed "long haul" shave.

Perhaps it's user-error, honestly IDK, as I tried adding more water, loading more soap, etc, but the end result was the same - it simply goes dry faster than my Cella Bio or my Proraso Cypress & Vetyver creams (purposefully listing budget-friendly items).

So, in all honesty, while at €3 smth./pack this is a bargain, it won't be entering my "Hall of Fame". I foresee using this little Mogno brick as a nice face-wash soap prior to shave, as I really like the feel it gives to my skin, but that's about it. Oh well...

It's been a month now since my first use of Mogno: Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ach-brito-mogno-a-new-old-school-classic.593821/post-11311210 and so my initial enthusiasm has somewhat dropped since.

One thing that I have discovered is that lather tends to dry up rather quickly, much quicker than my other soaps. This is to say, while the lather is very good while hydrated, it loses its qualities if you're one of those guys who enjoy a nice, relaxed "long haul" shave.

I like both the Mogno (rectangular) and Musgo (round) pucks.

Mogno has been a reliable performer, the rectangular shape may be a bit unusual, but I keep it in a traditional* barber shaving mug and it works well. I usually whip up fresh lather for the second pass, have then enough for the final touch-up on the jawline, and feel under no obligation whatsoever to complete an entire shave with a single load of the brush.

My shaves are usually with straight razors and it takes me about 23 minutes from start to end. So some staying power of the lather is required, but Mogno so far performs well.

1626264988578.jpeg

What turned out to be somewhat surprising was the Musgo puck.
After alternating a few weeks between Musgo and Mogno it developed these fissures in the puck.

1626264703122.jpeg

While it had little effect on badger and synthetic brushes, it takes now a bit longer to whip up my yoghurt lather with boar brushes, which are quite popular in Mediterranean countries. I found that putting some water on to of the puck while I brush my teeth (in other words: for two minutes) helps.

I like both products and today the mailman delivered another box of Ach Brito goodies from their factory store to my house here in Portugal.

B.

”traditional” in the sense of “as used in the 19th century”.
[Before someone points out again that the “traditional shave” (of caveman, I presume) was done with seashells and tweezers.] :001_cool:

Last edited:
I have been using Mike’s Natural soaps exclusively for years. I was recently given a bar of Mogno which I broke out this morning. I found that the Mogno fits well into a Col. Conk’s stone soap dish and does not move around. I found the Mogno easy to make a lather and, as others have noted, it is slick and shaves well. I have not had any skin reactions yet, but those sometimes take a few days of repeated use to appear. My first impression is that this is a nice soap. I will probably use this soap for the rest of July to form a more firm opinion.

Attachments

• D3F7F96A-F008-4DB2-AFE2-CD6AA341AAE7.jpeg
    D3F7F96A-F008-4DB2-AFE2-CD6AA341AAE7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Another data point for what it's worth, but I'm thinking this soaps likes water a little less than some of the other veggie soaps. Last night, instead of adding a bit more water, I left the lather a little thicker than normal figuring if it's not slick enough, it's easy to add bit of water to the brush. It was even slicker than previous shaves with a little more cushion. Great soap!

Excellent review 👌, really like the mogno cream too bad they don't have a matching balm or splash or did I missed it somehow

If there is I haven’t seen it either
Actually they do have a splash, or as they call it "Agua Colonia", which can be used both as aftershave and fragrance.

Arquivo de Águas de Colónia - AchBrito

There are four scent profiles.

They don't have an English website, but I've used a simple right-click in my browser to translate to English, so have a look.

I haven't tried any, but each looks great based on the description. I do believe these are top quality products.

Perhaps @Marco can tell us more...?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Actually they do have a splash, or as they call it "Agua Colonia", which can be used both as aftershave and fragrance.

They don't have an English website, but I've used a simple right-click in my browser to translate to English, so have a look.

I haven't tried any, but each looks great based on the description. I do believe these are top quality products.

No experience so far with Ach. Brito lotions. But, if you desire a Portuguese marvel, I do suggest 444 (matched with a Floid aftershave). :thumbup1:

The traditional Lavanda (Lavender) Cologne is probably the best known of the four, the Atlântico (Atlantic) Cologne is fairly recent AFAIK and has a refreshing, coastal inspired scent with a touch of lemon and lavender that I (and the Missus) like very much on me, the Magnolia is classified as a “feminine” scent - so maybe not so much for male shavers - and I have never tried the “Old” Cologne, as I feared it might be a bit too much on the sweet floral side for my taste.
Maybe I should delve into this “Old” Cologne a little bit deeper and report back.

I quite like the Lavanda and Atlântico scents and use them regulary, Atlântico often in combination with Musgo or Mogno shaving soaps and cream.
Ach. Brito calls them Colognes, but I rate their intensity more between an aftershave and an Eau de Cologne.

B

Last edited:
The traditional Lavanda (Lavender) Cologne is probably the best known of the four, the Atlântico (Atlantic) Cologne is fairly recent AFAIK and has a refreshing, coastal inspired scent with a touch of lemon and lavender that I (and the Missus) like very much on me, the Magnolia is classified as a “feminine” scent - so maybe not so much for male shavers - and I have never tried the “Old” Cologne, as I feared it might be a bit too much on the sweet floral side for my taste.
Maybe I should delve into this “Old” Cologne a little bit deeper and report back.

I quite like the Lavanda and Atlântico scents and use them regulary, Atlântico often in combination with Musgo or Mogno shaving soaps and cream.
Ach. Brito calls them Colognes, but I rate their intensity more between an aftershave and an Eau de Cologne.

B
Great insight, tnx so much!

Indeed, that green levender bottle looks fab 😀

Great insight, tnx so much!

Indeed, that green levender bottle looks fab 😀

I've only tried the Lavender and it's my favorite Lavender scent. That I have came across so far.

Just wish the scent would last a little longer though. Even an nickel size pour in my hand only lasts me 3hrs at best.

I've only tried the Lavender and it's my favorite Lavender scent. That I have came across so far.

Just wish the scent would last a little longer though. Even an nickel size pour in my hand only lasts me 3hrs at best.
IMHO, a 3hrs span for an EDC is a darn good performance.

It's not an EDP or Perfume to last 8+ hours, it's "scented water" with 2% fragrance oil.

I'd be very happy with that.

1628494287703.png

Trying hard not to digress from Marco’s thread…

…I did order the Ach. Brito Água de Colónia Antiga (“Old” Cologne) and I am happy to report that it is not sweet at all.
The first few times, I more than anything noticed the dominating citrus scent, but after a few uses I can clearly identify some woodsy and herbal (apparently thyme, rosemary, camphor) undertones. Quite nice really.

Now, in the middle of summer, I use it regularly (or at least until the novely has worn off :)), often in combination with / after a pea-sized drop of “444” post-shave gel that adds a refreshing dose of menthol to the equation.

As I am mentioning the “444” post-shave gel that he too seems to like so much, I have a feeling that Marco may not mind this digression.

B.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Trying hard not to digress from Marco’s thread…

…I did order the Ach. Brito Água de Colónia Antiga (“Old” Cologne) and I am happy to report that it is not sweet at all.
The first few times, I more than anything noticed the dominating citrus scent, but after a few uses I can clearly identify some woodsy and herbal (apparently thyme, rosemary, camphor) undertones. Quite nice really.

Now, in the middle of summer, I use it regularly (or at least until the novely has worn off :)), often in combination with / after a pea-sized drop of “444” post-shave gel that adds a refreshing dose of menthol to the equation.

As I am mentioning the “444” post-shave gel that he too seems to like so much, I have a feeling that Marco may not mind this digression.

B.

My friend, your post is more than welcome and really not "off topic" because you are talking about an Ach. Brito product. Also, I am interested myself in the Agua de Colonia Antiga. How is it in terms of durability/staying power, please?

My friend, your post is more than welcome and really not "off topic" because you are talking about an Ach. Brito product. Also, I am interested myself in the Agua de Colonia Antiga. How is it in terms of durability/staying power, please?

Much obliged for your kind words.

Regarding the staying power, the three (not counting the Magnolia woman’s variety) Ach. Brito Àguas de Colónia fragrances are pretty much all alike in this respect.

They last for about 2 hrs and then my wife has to come really close to me to tell what I have been using this morning…
(So close, in fact, that she would have been eyeing any female coworker with suspicion, if it would have been one of them. :001_wub:)

B.

Top Bottom