What's new

Pre-shave Face Wash Soap

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I shave before a shower/bath. My pre-shave routine starts with a hot-water face wash using bar soap and thoroughly rinse with fresh water before applying shaving soap for a face lather.

Is there a noticeably difference in shave quality due to the bar soap used?

Not sure if it matters, but I'm a SR shaver and generally lather with an ARKO stick.

I shave before a shower/bath. My pre-shave routine starts with a hot-water face wash using bar soap and thoroughly rinse with fresh water before applying shaving soap for a face lather.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm a SR shaver and generally lather with an ARKO stick.
I follow the same routine as you do. I find that washing my face with Pears bath soap prior to shaving softens the whiskers a little better than most other soaps I've used.
I seldom use pre shave products. The only one that seems to work best for me is the Proraso Pre Shave cream. It's non greasy, which I really favor.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I follow the same routine as you do. I find that washing my face with Pears bath soap prior to shaving softens the whiskers a little better than most other soaps I've used.
I seldom use pre shave products. The only one that seems to work best for me is the Proraso Pre Shave cream. It's non greasy, which I really favor.

I tried the Proraso pre-shave cream for a while but found that it made no difference to my shave so I gave it away to the poor.

I do have Pears "transparent" (India) available but have not yet bought any.

I tried the Proraso pre-shave cream for a while but found that it made no difference to my shave so I gave it away to the poor.

I do have Pears "transparent" (India) available but have not yet bought any.
Do give Pears a try. Though made in India nowadays, it's still pretty good.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I personally do not think so. I usually pre wash my face with Dove Pure and Sensitive when a I am at home. When I have been away from home and used other types of bath soap I felt no difference in the shave what so ever. This is my experience.

Similar routine for me, except that instead of HOT, I prefer warm water. I don't think hot water is good for the skin.

I use Ach. Brito Mogno shaving soap as my face-wash. I didn't find it satisfactory enough as a shaving soap, but love the scent and feel it gives, so it didn't go to waste. My other preferred face-wash soap is PAA Cube Menthol & Charcoal, for when I want that cold feel. Sometimes, I also use the Cube as a post-shave face-wash, just for the scent and ice-cold feel. I don't use it as a "pre-shave".

I take a shower after my shave.

This depends on the person and their age, to an extent. Some people have more oily skin than others. As we age, the skin tends to lose some of its inherent moisturizing abilities, also.

I try not to use regular bar soap on my face since it dries my skin out. I'll use a soap or cleaner specifically made for the face. These tend to be gentler.

The main point of the shave prep step is to soften the whiskers by hydrating them. A warm shower will help with that. Shave lather will usually do the rest. I tend to use a pre-shave soap (PAA Cube) since I may shave later in the day. It works well.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I use Pre de Provence “milk” scented bath soap. Don’t know if it helps, but my whiskers get wet, my face gets clean, and the smell of fresh cow’s milk and honey is very pleasant. My favorite soap for milk fragrance is Maître Savonitto Au Bon Lait d’Ânnese for the invigorating scent of sweet, sweet donkey milk (no honey needed nor desired), but it’s a shave soap.

I usually use Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap before I shave and I shave before I shower. I haven't found using different soaps to make much of a difference.

A few months ago, I began using the $ Tree Old Spice bar soap for my pre-shave face wash, with great results. I lather it on using the day's non shaving brush, letting it soak in for a few minutes.

love my pre-shave wash with glycerin soap bar.
just rub it over wet face, lather with the brush, rinse lightly, then apply regular shave soap/cream per normal.
i like Ach Brito Glyce, but find that most any translucent glycerin soap works well.
one large puck lasts me about a year.
hint...i think this step also helps hydrate the badger brush, as well!

ach brito musgo glyce.jpg

I currently use Stirling's Unscented Pre Shave Soap. Have had good results softening beard and giving that slickness you get from Shave soap. I use it at the end of my shower before I get out and let it sit on my face for a couple minutes then rinse it off. After I dry off I shave, wetting my face with hot tap water right before I start making my lather, then paint my shave soap lather on my face with a brush.

I used to use Proraso Pre Shave products and Crown Pre Shave Gel. Neither are as good as the Stirling Pre Shave Soap in my opinion.

If I am not showering in the morning, I use Ach. Brito GLYCE soap to wash my face with sponge or wash cloth before the morning shave.

As far as only the pre-shave is concerned, a good bar soap would equally do, but I prefer a glycerine soap at this time to cleanse my face. Ach. Brito is available locally here, but Pears, Neutrogena or even a good glycerine No Name (e.g. Whole Foods) glycerine soap would do the job.

B.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I picked up three cakes of Pears Transparent (India) bath soap last Tuesday (after my morning shave) from my local supermarket. USD 4.40 for three.

IMG_20210813_161252.jpg

The soaps use for my pre-shave face wash have been:
Tuesday = Dove (white)​
Wednesday = Pears​
Thursday = Dove (white)​
Friday = Pears​

My observations are that there is little difference in shave quality between the two soaps. If anything, Pears may give a slightly better shave quality. My water here is very soft (rain water) and I found that the Pears rinses off noticeably easier than the Dove. I find that this Pears soap has a scent that reminds me of freshly sawn fully seasoned pine wood.

I will stick with Pears Transparent for my pre-shave face wash for a while.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
A few months ago, I began using the $ Tree Old Spice bar soap for my pre-shave face wash, with great results. I lather it on using the day's non shaving brush, letting it soak in for a few minutes.
What is this soap of which you speak?

This depends on the person and their age, to an extent. Some people have more oily skin than others. As we age, the skin tends to lose some of its inherent moisturizing abilities, also.

I try not to use regular bar soap on my face since it dries my skin out. I'll use a soap or cleaner specifically made for the face. These tend to be gentler.

The main point of the shave prep step is to soften the whiskers by hydrating them. A warm shower will help with that. Shave lather will usually do the rest. I tend to use a pre-shave soap (PAA Cube) since I may shave later in the day. It works well.
Commercial bar soaps do tend to dry the skin but a nice artisan soap or an expensive French or Italian triple-milled soap doesn't dry the face at all.

Do give Pears a try. Though made in India nowadays, it's still pretty good.
I bought some of that, to see how the scent compared with the original from years ago (and was disappointed by the new one).

On the other hand, if it's still rich in glycerine, it should be an effective pre-shave soap, so I'll lose nothing by trying it. Good GRUME experiment.

Top Bottom