What's new

What would you tell your past newbie self about wet shaving?

I started wet shaving around 10 years ago with pathetic results.

I'd tell my younger self to:

# Quit smoking and save that money for soaps and razors.

I could easily afford Blackbird and Vector easily with just one year's worth of cigarettes expenses, smh.

# Find B&B soon rather than 10 years later.

Smth. along the lines of:

Dave, trust me when I tell you, I've been there, I've done it, so get the following:

► Blackland Vector SE with both SB and OC plates
► Scalloped SS Timeless DE .68
► Simpson CH2 in Super and Synthetic

Software wise, get a tub of each, based on your scent preferences:

► MdC (my fav is Rose)
► SV (my favs are Opuntia and Desert Vetiver)
► Stirling (my fav are Deep Blue Sea and Piacenza)

You can skip the creams altogether, but if you want a couple for travel, then get:

► TOBS St. James
► T&H 1805
► Cella Extra Bio

The only blades you'll ever need are Feathers, but if you want to experiment, Kai, Muhle, Persona and Gillette are fine, too.

Get a SR once you retire, for that ultimate like-a-grandpa experience (I'm telling this to my current 47 y/o self, as I'm probably looking at another good 20 years b4 even thinking about retiring 😁😂, as I look and feel like 35 💪💪).

Since this is my second time around and my original newbie self, in my late 20's, would be told to have patience and try other equipment than I originally was using as well as try to get more information.

My previous post was based on my start with DE/SE shaving in 2017, but I started shaving during military basic training a few decades ago. We were required to shave daily whether we needed to or not. While we were not allowed DE razors at the time, I would have advised my former self to learn how to use a DE razor as soon as possible and get away from cartridges and electrics. Years of irritation, razor bumps, and ingrown hairs can be avoided. Focus on learning how to use the razor and don't worry about soaps and brushes in the beginning (that will come later).

2008 -
1) get vintage fleabay sheffield / solingen straight razors, set of hones and a quality strop. Just damn learn and shave !
2) For those rush shaves get a Gem junior or Ever ready Shovel head and a 1000 PTFE gem blades
3) Buy 2-3 pucks of Tallow Tabac a year. Stock up !
4) Buy a ton of Sir Irisch Moos shave sticks.
5) Alum / Witch Hazel !
6) DO NOT chase BBS

Edit : what @lancre says in the next post too, opening lines and Williams Mug Soap !

Last edited:
DON'T READ SHAVING FORUMS!!! That is the road to myriad rabbit holes.

Instead, buy a Ball End Tech, 100 Derby extra blades, a Semogue 830 boar brush, at least 20 pucks of Williams Mug Soap and a Marvy Mug to load and lather them in. Done.

P.S. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Take your time. use a light touch, and don't chase the BBS.

December 2006.
1. Buy more Gillette Swedes.
2. Buy more floid blue
3. Congrats on buying so much p160.
4. Buy your own house sooner.
5. Buy a boar brush instead of a crummy badger brush.
6. Buy more l’occitane cade splash
7. Buy more Russian blue 7oc platinum blades.
8. learn about perfumery sooner
9. Almost all scents are derivative.
10. stop using that steinmart shaving cream. You can do much better.
11. Williams doesn’t work well for you. It’s okay to blame the soap.

Top Bottom