Arko August 2021

97398345-6CDF-4017-83DD-FDECA6D08CB1.jpeg

Pre:-
Razor: FOCS
Blade: Personna Platinum 4th use - retired
Brush: Zenith Manchurian 506AK
Soap: Arko puck
Result: DFS+

I purposely overloaded the brush by giving it about 40 whirls on the puck an then proceeded to face lather. That Zenith is such a nice and scrubby brush for face lathering. It was one of my first badgers - a recommendation by @Owen Bawn - and still one that I really like to have around. The shave itself was nice and uneventful and from now on I will reduce the load time from shave to shave to see what’s the minimum needed for a slick 3 pass shave.

Last edited:
2125BF7F-E205-4157-904B-C457DAF10EDB.jpeg

Arko Sharko whole hog. Which is not to say this is a whole month of hog bristle brushes, because it won’t be, but I got one out today. I think we all know what that brush is.

Cheap shave. The gold Schöne was acquired in a trade with our host, and I’m glad to have it to pair with the nickel one I already owned. With the Shark Stainless it was effective, if also both a little harsh and a little inefficient. Any shave with a Fatip razor always carries an element of risk, but no bites today. Can’t complain about my BBS.

Last edited:
This is a very late night shave, just for the allure of Arko.

RazoRock Wunderbar
Gillette 7 O'clock Black blades
Arko
Semogue Owner's Club Boar in Cherry
Witch Hazel

I have to finish the blade as it's already 3 shaves old, I'll start with a fresh Shark blade when this one is binned.

Lovely lather, great shave and a great experience with the SOC after a long time.

I pushed the Arko in the bowl so that loading is easier as my SOC still tends to eat up lather.

IMG_20210801_233604.jpg

Arko the 1st!!!
Travel shave as we departed Kauai, Hawaii.

Taylor's Eye Witness, The 1000
ARKO!!! (stick)
Maggard's Black and White
Afta Fresh

I managed to pack a Valobra stick in addition to my Arko, so I was able to savor the first day of Arko August with my first Arko shave in several weeks. So nice...

Back to the home bathroom tomorrow for the next of 30 more Arko shaves.

Gentlefolk,

It's that time again - August is approaching, and so it's time to prepare for Arko August!

I don't have the discipline to 3017 a soap, but I can use one for a month. In my quest to actually use up the soaps I have, that's my usual M.O. - one month, one soap - and August is for Arko.

If you don't have a stick of Arko, now's the time to get it, whether you buy it or trade for it. Don't worry, Arko won't break the bank, and it will outlast a lot of other soaps (which may be a blessing, may be a curse). Unlike the latest formulation from your favorite artisan, Arko is cheap, but it's a top performer, so it's definitely a "high-value" soap!

You can also use this advance notice to let your Arko "air out" before use, or grate it and soak it in some aftershave in preparation for the month. Heck, you might do both!

If you want to join me, just post here (or don't). Even if you just want to use Arko in August rather than for August, feel free to add a SOTD post.

As I did last year, I'm organizing participants based on how much they plan to use Arko during the month. The categories and participants were:

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
@FoolishMortal
@Cphobes
@Brian C.
@alla2465
@bjm
@psfred
@bluesman 7
@ksblazer
@fast shaver
@Chandu
@MrBeez
@Ace the Masta
@FarmerTan
@ajkel64
@Sotiris_A
@Billski
@gsurko
@Southern_S
@mph14205
@mio_cuggino
@tbhoff
@doug1066
@Acmemfg
@Rosseforp
@BigD
@Hak.1963
@Alohawyatt
@azwetshaver
@Borderite
@ponykilr
@1959tony
@epipeman
@RenoRichard
@Omarz

Arko whole-hog (once a category of one, now twice the size)
@Owen Bawn
@Yukonmark

Arko 97%, yo (all Arko, minus a brief dalliance)
@RumpleBearskin
@sdimartino
@TBoner

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
@Smooth and Sharp
@ChiefHA
@Jmp63
@Leo501
@sternej
@Messygoon
@Ravenonrock
@Chard52142
@Roedeer
@esoteric
@Starsky
@redrako
@Ad Astra
@Flintstone65
@fightingillini22
@Chef455
@MickeyFinn
@Soxfan4life
@Cool Shave Luke
@zoidberg
@Tanuki
@JayFromBrooklyn
@Ted A

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
RayClem
HarryAU570
lancre

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
@IMightBeWrong
@Ascet

I'll start the list in the next post. Feel free to self-select, or just post your intended usage level and I can maintain the list.

Let's Arko!
I'm in for Arko Gung-ho

Arko August

Sunday, August 1, 2021 and a nice Florida sunset

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: AP Shave Company 24mm SynBad Fan w/ Ivory Green Handle
Pre-Shave: Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub
Lather: Arko Original
Aftershave: Stirling Dunshire
Additional Care:
Acqua Di Gio
cold water splash
Stirling Aftershave Balm (unscented)
Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent (unscented)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Arko August

Sunday, August 1, 2021 and a nice Florida sunset

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: AP Shave Company 24mm SynBad Fan w/ Ivory Green Handle
Pre-Shave: Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub
Lather: Arko Original
Aftershave: Stirling Dunshire
Additional Care:
Acqua Di Gio
cold water splash
Stirling Aftershave Balm (unscented)
Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent (unscented)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Lovely sunset (and shave). Where's the beach?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Arko August Day 1

Arko
Leo Frilot Eagle Scout Timberwolf
2 @ Charcoal Goods Level 2
1 @ Polsilver Poland Stainless
1 @ modern Polsilver Super Iridium
Aloha Smackdown Star Jelly

First Arko shave… this month. 🤪 Me and Arko go way back. So I’m no stranger to the lovely scent, or the great performance. I’m only in for the Down Low. But I have some travels this month, and Arko is my regular travel soap. So there shall be a bunch of Arko August shaves. This shave was a good one. Just got back from a 5 day camping trip. This setup mowed down the 5 days of growth like it wasn’t even there. Great results.

E2B2BC78-D018-4D30-800F-BD305B17120B.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
The smells of this morning’s Arko shave took me back to Mrs. Panjwani, my amazing elementary school art teacher, and soap carving projects using 99 and 44/100% pure Ivory bars. Arko’s soapy smell lingered, slowly yielding a clean slippery lather, followed by a close shave.

August started with a top shave and great memories.

3C5F784B-0068-4ED5-A218-89115AE3588B.jpeg

August 1

First day of ARKO August with a side of Shark super stainless. DFS from a Gillette superspeed. Today is also the first(full) day of a week long vacation. I think I bought this razor for under $2 two years ago while on vacation in the same place. The brush is a Razorock synthetic that I use when I travel (the knot is a bit small for my taste).

Attachments

• 2021-08-01 16.41.24.jpg
    2021-08-01 16.41.24.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 10
ARKO Boarko First Shave ( ARKO 1, 2021)

Razor: Kampfe Bros STAR CRU-STEEL Lather Catcher
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar
Soap: ARKO
Lather: Bowl/Face combo
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

The Shave: WTG x2/ATG passes for a DFS shave. The Butterscotch SOC Boar made great lather with ARKO. The STAR CRU-STEEL LC is an easy and efficient shaver. Nice shave finished with AV Ice Blue.
C49767D4-D4F1-4356-9060-81EF8A4971A3.jpeg
434A8F11-59B4-46B2-A8E5-C902A832F79B.jpeg

61288C88-997D-4862-959F-862D2F35B0A1.jpeg

Shave: 1
8-1-2021
Soap: ARKO stick
Razor: Winning
Blade: Zerton straight and Shark platinum super stainless (11)
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger 24mm fan knot.
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Working on my straight skills. First pass was with the straight and WTG. Next was DE ATG and some touch up DSF. No blood in the water. But there was some irritation.

My goal is to end the month with not really needing the shark. But it’s going to stay close to the boat all month as needed.​

Top Bottom