What's new

My Inaugural Injector Shave

I had my first shave with an injector razor this evening. Mainly, my tool of choice is DE or straights (when not pressed for time) and my technique with DE razors has grown to be quite proficient over the years.

My DEs run the gamut from old Gillette vintage to modern offerings like Timeless .68, Lupo .95, GC 84 and a few Fatips. The point being, I recognize a good shave when I get one.

Anyway, I just turned 60 and realized I'd never tried an injector... umm, bucket list. 🤔 So, I did some reading and ended up with an Eversharp Hydro-magic. I think it's the Type I, 1st variant. It has the short lever which has no writing.

20210730_231601.jpg

After cleaning on it for about an hour today, I loaded up a China made schick blade this evening, whipped up a bowl of DG lather and took her on the maiden voyage (at least for me) and to be honest, my expectations were low. I mean come on, a 65 yr old razor and a China-made blade. So my wife is in the bedroom adjacent to the bathroom and she keeps hearing me mumbling "wow" every so often. I'd shave a few strokes, "wow", rinse and repeat.
Color me amazed... ended up with one of the smoothest, close and most comfortable shaves ever. I doubt I'm giving up my DEs anytime soon but probably will add a type E or G to keep the I type company. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to try one.

TLDR; One of the best shaves ever.

cheers

Congrats on a new discovery. The older we get the less of them there are, but sweet nonetheless. It’s a gorgeous razor. Glad you like it. I love my Schick E. These old Schicks can be had cased and in great condition for pretty reasonable prices.

Attachments

• B8A97FD2-368C-484B-830F-559E9A60DD21.jpeg
    B8A97FD2-368C-484B-830F-559E9A60DD21.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 10
I had my first shave with an injector razor this evening. Mainly, my tool of choice is DE or straights (when not pressed for time) and my technique with DE razors has grown to be quite proficient over the years.

My DEs run the gamut from old Gillette vintage to modern offerings like Timeless .68, Lupo .95, GC 84 and a few Fatips. The point being, I recognize a good shave when I get one.

Anyway, I just turned 60 and realized I'd never tried an injector... umm, bucket list. 🤔 So, I did some reading and ended up with an Eversharp Hydro-magic. I think it's the Type I, 1st variant. It has the short lever which has no writing.

View attachment 1304388

After cleaning on it for about an hour today, I loaded up a China made schick blade this evening, whipped up a bowl of DG lather and took her on the maiden voyage (at least for me) and to be honest, my expectations were low. I mean come on, a 65 yr old razor and a China-made blade. So my wife is in the bedroom adjacent to the bathroom and she keeps hearing me mumbling "wow" every so often. I'd shave a few strokes, "wow", rinse and repeat.
Color me amazed... ended up with one of the smoothest, close and most comfortable shaves ever. I doubt I'm giving up my DEs anytime soon but probably will add a type E or G to keep the I type company. Makes me wonder why I waited so long to try one.

TLDR; One of the best shaves ever.

cheers
Aren't they magic?! I used the same razor (well, my razor, not yours, obviously!) and had that same experience. Mine came pretty cruddy, but cleaned up very nice. Your case is in much better shape, though.

Congrats and welcome down the injector rabbit hole!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The i2 you have is a great razor and I have one also and the hydro magic feature really is a work of art for a injector razor. I do use the feature for cleaning and other folks do not.
I have about 10 Schick injectors and have given a few away also. I made a habit of using one every Sunday to make sure they get used because they are a great razor. My favorites are E & G & i & L & M's. L's have a lot of theme series handles. Twin II blades can still be bought brand new and fit L to N's. The twin II blade was really the first cartridge blades but can give a person ingrown hairs possibly for some folks, some caution there. I like the twin blade because it is well built but is prone to plugging if cutting 3>day growth and I got 32 great shaves on my 1st blade if it matters to some.
Extra information for those who are curious about Schick injectors.
Have some great shaves!

Aren't they magic?! I used the same razor (well, my razor, not yours, obviously!) and had that same experience. Mine came pretty cruddy, but cleaned up very nice. Your case is in much better shape, though.

Congrats and welcome down the injector rabbit hole!!

I guess magic is as good a word as any. It took almost 10-11 hours before I could begin to feel stubble after that shave. Quite impressive. As for the rabbit hole... well, stay tuned. 🐰

The i2 you have is a great razor and I have one also and the hydro magic feature really is a work of art for a injector razor. I do use the feature for cleaning and other folks do not.
I have about 10 Schick injectors and have given a few away also. I made a habit of using one every Sunday to make sure they get used because they are a great razor. My favorites are E & G & i & L & M's. L's have a lot of theme series handles. Twin II blades can still be bought brand new and fit L to N's. The twin II blade was really the first cartridge blades but can give a person ingrown hairs possibly for some folks, some caution there. I like the twin blade because it is well built but is prone to plugging if cutting 3>day growth and I got 32 great shaves on my 1st blade if it matters to some.
Extra information for those who are curious about Schick injectors.
Have some great shaves!

Thank you for those links. I had the first one but the second is another gold mine and great read.

Yes, mine is the i2. I was using the terms: 1st variant, style one as given in a post by @BBS-1 called Schick Type I and J Injectors for dummies

As to the aforementioned rabbit hole, I have a type I1 and G8 incoming. Also ordered a pack of proline b20 blades from Connaughts to try and may have a pack of the mild pink AC blades stashed somewhere. Might snip one shorter and give that a try also. I'm also on the lookout for a decent E2 since I'm pretty OCD about cleaning and drying my DEs after each shave. Seems like a lot of crud would get built up in these old injectors. Opening the razor for occasional cleaning would be perfect plus I read the E types are a tad more aggressive.

cheers

New to this forum, new to this site, and finally learning how to shave at 73. After watching a different utube clip on shaving I bought a new Supply injector razor, a supply of Supply blades, a Supply brush. I use Supply or Jack Black cream, with a dab of Cremo slick cream(black tube) into a stone bowl with a plug of Gentlemen Jon Sandalwood glycerin soap. While I get a smooth shave with the medium setting on the Supply I don't get the kind of lather I see illustrated on this site. It looks like I need to change things up a bit; shave post shower, soften soap, soak & dry brush, load brush before moving to the bowl.

Is it worth the effort? I guess I'll have to try.

New to this forum, new to this site, and finally learning how to shave at 73. After watching a different utube clip on shaving I bought a new Supply injector razor, a supply of Supply blades, a Supply brush. I use Supply or Jack Black cream, with a dab of Cremo slick cream(black tube) into a stone bowl with a plug of Gentlemen Jon Sandalwood glycerin soap. While I get a smooth shave with the medium setting on the Supply I don't get the kind of lather I see illustrated on this site. It looks like I need to change things up a bit; shave post shower, soften soap, soak & dry brush, load brush before moving to the bowl.

Is it worth the effort? I guess I'll have to try.
It's trial and error as to what works for you. I started "Wet Shaving" at the young age of 65. I too was upset that I didn't get lather that looked like canned whipped cream, then I learned that as long as there aren't small bubbles in your lather and it looks creamy, go for it. As long as it's slick and you get some residual slickness when you rinse your face, you are fine.

If you want to try different soaps, look for samples, many vendors sell them. I started with creams and have moved to soaps. Stirling, Barrister & Mann and Arianna & Evans are my favorites, but you may find others that work for you.

Thanks for the reply! I just dropped a question but will repeat it here. I've seen some say 'no' to glycerine soaps, and I wonder why?
Personal preference I supposed. There is nothing at all wrong with glycerine soaps. Hydration and slickness are the most important elements for an effective lather, and glycerine excels at slickness for a comfortable glide. Col. Conk soaps are affordable soaps that are glycerine based and perform very well.

Received this new (to me) G8(?) yesterday.

20210808_185521.jpg

Took it on the maiden voyage about an hour ago on maybe 30+ hours growth.
These old injectors just keep on impressing me. Used a chick blade and got a BBS in 2 passes and some touch-up under the jawline but what really strikes me is the smoothness of the shave.

Got an E2 incoming this week but between this G8 and the I2 hydro-magic, I doubt the shaves can get any better.

cheers

I have too many DEs to count, several carts, 3 SRs, and 5 or so GEM SEs... along with more than enough blades (maybe even soaps?) to last a lifetime. So I want to avoid falling down another rabbit hole, which has kept me away from injectors so far.

Ha! Same here mate. I only have about 5 straights but more DEs than I can shake a stick at... probably should unload a few. Once the E2 arrives, I should be good on injector types...

unless I can find a PAL injectomatic in really nice condition and at a great price. 🤔

Top Bottom