What's new

Green Irish Tweed type soaps - 2021 Edition

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I, like many of you here, sorely miss my Queen Charlotte Green Irish Tweed shaving soap. It was an always-in-my-den choice until they went out of business. I have not really looked around for a replacement, and I have been away from here for quite a while, so I did a search on B&B. There are not any threads with GIT in the title since several years ago, and after the first couple, we're way, way back when everyone raved about QC soaps.

So, in the hopes of not wasting TOO much money on my research, I thought I'd poll the good folks here for the most promising starting points for this GIT-type quest. I found a fellow on the YouToobz who must be GIT nut, because he has a list of 8 choices he has in his shave den. Since I have tried exactly none of them, I thought I'd see if there was some experience here with these particular soaps. If you have not tried the scent but have tried one of their other soaps, comments on performance are certainly welcome. I'm specifically on a GIT-type quest, though, I will steel myself against those sirens trying to lure me into trying other scents in these brands. At least I will try. *plugs ears*

Thanks in advance for any intel you can provide. Here, in no particular order, is that fellow's listing:

• Stirling sharp dressed man
  • Country club fern
  • Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot
  • RR Irish Countryside
  • Cold River Soapworks spring ltd eition select
  • Wet Shaving Products Formula T Gaelic Tweed
  • K Shaveworks Frazzled Kilt
  • Viking Hedeby

I'll watch this for a while, then try to stack-rank them and then work my way down the ordered list until I hit a winner. I'll report back in this thread, on my experiences.

I have not tried the Queen Charlotte or most of the soaps on your list. But I have used WSP Formula T Gaelic Tweed and it is very nice. It lathers easy, is slick, has a great scent and the longevity of the aftershave is very good also. It’s a winner.

I am also a Stirling fan, but haven’t tried Sharp Dressed Man yet.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thank you MilkCrate. Unfortunately, you'll never get to try QC Green Irish Tweed, but I appreciate your suggestion of the Formula T. I'm confident it aims at the scent I am after.

Below is a link to a great fragrance-shaving soap list. Creed's Green Irish Tweed is very, very well represented here. When given the choice, I'll always recommend a Murphy and McNeil soap. Their Crann Bethadh is a wonderful version to try.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks for that scent listing link!

It does not seem GIT is a huge favorite here, although it has its adherents. I researched soap reviews for performance, and decided a good place to start was Stirling, especially since they have a matching after shave and an Eau de Toillette. I got the soap, the splash, and a couple samples of other soaps and splashes to start. I'll report later on my experience with it.

I do miss Queen Charlotte soaps, as many of us do, but I have a good feeling about this. Stirling is pretty popular, I'm hoping I can find another standard GIT to always have on hand.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thank you, gents! But I already ordered Stirling, as I could also get an A/S splash with it. I won't be trying anything else, until I determine how I like the Stirling (cost), But I do appreciate the recommendations in case I want to explore further. I know Mystic Water and Murphy & McNiel are both well-regarded here. Preesh!

Thank you, gents! But I already ordered Stirling, as I could also get an A/S splash with it. I won't be trying anything else, until I determine how I like the Stirling (cost), But I do appreciate the recommendations in case I want to explore further. I know Mystic Water and Murphy & McNiel are both well-regarded here. Preesh!

Enjoy!

@gwsmallwood did a great series recently that explored GIT themed soaps. His reviews inspired me to get the Murphy & McNiel Crann Bethadh, and I'm glad I did. I recommend that one.
The mods considered it self-promotion, so the entire thread was taken down. I've tried close to 30 now. You can find a Green Irish Tweed playlist on my YT channel.

Well, I, like many of you here, sorely miss my Queen Charlotte Green Irish Tweed shaving soap. It was an always-in-my-den choice until they went out of business. I have not really looked around for a replacement, and I have been away from here for quite a while, so I did a search on B&B. There are not any threads with GIT in the title since several years ago, and after the first couple, we're way, way back when everyone raved about QC soaps.

So, in the hopes of not wasting TOO much money on my research, I thought I'd poll the good folks here for the most promising starting points for this GIT-type quest. I found a fellow on the YouToobz who must be GIT nut, because he has a list of 8 choices he has in his shave den. Since I have tried exactly none of them, I thought I'd see if there was some experience here with these particular soaps. If you have not tried the scent but have tried one of their other soaps, comments on performance are certainly welcome. I'm specifically on a GIT-type quest, though, I will steel myself against those sirens trying to lure me into trying other scents in these brands. At least I will try. *plugs ears*

Thanks in advance for any intel you can provide. Here, in no particular order, is that fellow's listing:

• Stirling sharp dressed man
  • Country club fern
  • Catie's Bubbles Celtic Knot
  • RR Irish Countryside
  • Cold River Soapworks spring ltd eition select
  • Wet Shaving Products Formula T Gaelic Tweed
  • K Shaveworks Frazzled Kilt
  • Viking Hedeby

I'll watch this for a while, then try to stack-rank them and then work my way down the ordered list until I hit a winner. I'll report back in this thread, on my experiences.
Just an FYI, 5 of the items on your list are either discontinued, or I haven't been able to find them anywhere in a very long time.

I followed the gwsmallwood thread and remember that he liked Stirling Well Dressed Man best even it it wasn't the closest match in scent. It was really close but it performed better than any other that he tested. I really enjoyed the thread and it is a shame it was taken down.

Personally, I ended up liking Mystic Waters Irish Traveler best. I felt that the Stirling scent was overly complex with a note of muskiness however subtle just bothered me. Mystic Waters is a cleaner scent and it performs on par with Stirling.

I followed the gwsmallwood thread and remember that he liked Stirling Well Dressed Man best even it it wasn't the closest match in scent. It was really close but it performed better than any other that he tested. I really enjoyed the thread and it is a shame it was taken down.

Personally, I ended up liking Mystic Waters Irish Traveler best. I felt that the Stirling scent was overly complex with a note of muskiness however subtle just bothered me. Mystic Waters is a cleaner scent and it performs on par with Stirling.

I actually think Mystic Water is the better performer. My batch just seems a bit light on the scent and had a bit of the tallowy base smell coming through. That's why I tried to give some nuanced answers about the 'best' versions in my video. I'm glad you found the one that works for you.

Top Bottom