What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

It’s raining this wknd in Phx, that is cause for celebration
49FA334D-857E-4807-BDA5-56DE38B8F57C.jpeg

2528523C-1AC5-4202-8060-D648AED95BAF.jpeg

Ki No Bi Japanese gin. It's absolutely awesome. Second only to Schwarzwald Monkey 47 in my personal pantheon. It's sipping stuff, don't mix with it.

Also, yesterday I discovered that you can dislike an absinthe when it's prepared in the conventional way, and still like it when you just put ice in it and sip it. I don't mean the crap stuff, though, like anything anyone would ever advise you to light on fire.

Darkside cocktail--gin (in this case, London dry, could have used Plymouth), Chinato (aromatic, bitter wine), Peychaud bitters, bada bing cherry. Very nice cocktail. If you like a Negroni, you should like this.

Wow, most likes I think I have ever gotten for a post anywhere on B&B. Folks must be interested in this cocktail, so I will update.

This is definitely our house cocktail these days. Definitely has characteristics similar to a Negroni, but it different enough to make it interesting and I would say a classic on its own. I have switched from London dry to Plymouth's gin. I was not that familiar with the later, but seems very nice and may bring the cocktail up. Less juniper-forward, perhaps. I might try tis drink with Navy strength gin, although it is powerful already!

I also switched from Bada Bing cherries to my standard DIY cherries, which are dried sour cherries from Trader Joe's or similar places soaked for at least days in Cognac, sugar, and I think for the batch I am working with a stick of cinnamon. Brings up the cocktail a whole lot. Already a complexly flavored cocktail is made more so, without the candy notes of Maraschino cherries, even Luxardo ones.

Still am undecided about ratio of Chinato to gin.

Top Bottom