What's new

Driving shoes

I have searched but could not find any real discussions on driving shoes. Does anyone wear them? Pros/Cons? Suggestions or just a waste of time?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I used to have a pair of Cole Haan driving shoes. They looked good with jeans or khakis and were reasonably comfortable, but those nubbly soles were not as good for walking as camp mocs, boating shoes, or bluchers like Bean Rangers.

They are basically a relic. At one time, the idea was to switch away from shoes with slippery leather soles that could be dangerous on the pedals. Any shoe that gives good grip and is not overly cushioned will work as well or better for driving. For comfort, a moccasin type shoe or sneaker would be better.

Last edited:
I have a pair on right now. I live in them in the house, using them as slippers. I actually have three pairs. I'll do pics if anyone is interested.
Yes pictures please.

I have always taken my shoes off for any drive that will be an hour or more. Looking to see what kinds of shoes are available now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Piloti's?
No, lol, I just got off their site though!

I could see me buying a pair of theirs.

I have on right now a pair of "Born" loafers/driving shoes. If I bought them again they'd be a half size smaller.

Years ago I found a nice-ish pair of used Johnston and Murphy slip ons at a Goodwill store for $5 ? .... They fell apart a little, so I kept checking fleaBay for an EXACT replacement. Right down to the width. Lol, now I wish they were a half size bigger! I hadn't accounted for someone ELSE breaking in/stretching them out for me! So I've been too stinkin' lazy to do it, not wanting to be uncomfortable!

AND they are more of a moccasin style, and kinda goofy looking new. These things are probably 30 years old but look and feel like they have NEVER been worn.

It took LITERALLY YEARS for any pair of these to pop up, let alone in my size, then I was too cheap to pay the original asking price, and FINALLY the seller came down to twenty bucks, plus shipping.

After I bought them a broken in pair a size and a half too big showed up, but I'd be swimming in them.

Have you ever had a shoe that feels like part of your foot? I can count on one hand the number of pairs of shoes that have done that.

Dang it! I'm going to go put them on right now and start the process!

FarmerTan

Yes pictures please.

I have always taken my shoes off for any drive that will be an hour or more. Looking to see what kinds of shoes are available now.
Then you NEED these Borns I bought off eBay. No support to speak of, but GREAT for driving in. Perfect.

I wear Vibram Five Fingers most of the time, and they suit me perfectly for driving shoes. Allow me to easily “wrap” the pedal as I call it. To me, it sure makes heel/toe easy. They don’t impede in a tight footwell, with closely set pedals.

They have a small footprint. :biggrin1:

FarmerTan

Then you NEED these Borns I bought off eBay. No support to speak of, but GREAT for driving in. Perfect.
IMG_20210724_164409938.jpg

I put an insert in them, "magnetic" to take up the slack a bit.

FarmerTan

Here's my pics of the Johnston and Murphy slipper thingies. I'm glad this topic came up! These "new" old shoes feel good right now!
IMG_20210724_165047248.jpg
IMG_20210724_164539073.jpg

Note if you will the "sewing" I did to the inner toe area of the right shoe on the pair the War Department wants me to throw out!
IMG_20210724_165025263.jpg

Barely broke in, doggone!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I dislike driving and try to keep it to a minimum but I prefer soles which are not too thick so I have better pedal control. Any shoes which are comfortable enough to wear at home are fine for driving which is solely on urban roads in a modest mid sized manual gearbox family car, averaging 75 miles per week. The idea of shoes specifically for driving, for me, seems a little silly.

I have a pair of Rockport loafer style driving shoes.
I like them very much. The heel is rockered up the back making using gas pedal easier than a regular walking heel. They are nice, light weight and supple.
Using them as regular use shoes wears them out sooner as the soles are a softer less hard material.

FarmerTan

I dislike driving and try to keep it to a minimum but I prefer soles which are not too thick so I have better pedal control. Any shoes which are comfortable enough to wear at home are fine for driving which is solely on urban roads in a modest mid sized manual gearbox family car, averaging 75 miles per week. The idea of shoes specifically for driving, for me, seems a little silly.
Agreed! But I AM incredibly handsome, and I look even better, being mistaken QUITE often for a YOUNG Paul Newman.

Just ask the "Little Woman"....she says whatever I tell her to!

Okay, she saw me type that. If you never hear from me again, you'll know why I call her the lovely War Department!

I went to a well know rally racing school a couple of years ago and no one, neither instructors nor students, wore driving shoes - mostly it was hiking boots and the few odd pair of athletic shoes.

Save the driving shoes for race day.

FarmerTan

I have a pair of Rockport loafer style driving shoes.
I like them very much. The heel is rockered up the back making using gas pedal easier than a regular walking heel. They are nice, light weight and supple.
Using them as regular use shoes wears them out sooner as the soles are a softer less hard material.
True. Look at the difference in my ancient J&M slipper thingies and the Born ones that are not used much outside of the house.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
..any pair I wear at the moment, sneakers, loafers, dress shoes, Birkenstocks...in these days there is really no need for a special driving shoe, I guess there never was....unless you race.

Top Bottom