What's new

Arkansas Love...Let's see those Arks!

Got this on Facebook marketplace with a couple of old beat up razors and another stone. A little 1x3 5/8 translucent stone.
E6E6D837-A48D-45AC-B950-90F06ED2CFC1.jpeg
5435323A-BFC0-406D-BA1D-3D8606E84E3F.jpeg
17F88FE9-6584-4562-9F30-819F2214DB96.jpeg

Just found this nice 8”X2-1/2”x3/4” soft Arkie today. It was really gunked up. But a bath in Dawn and a good lapping on glass with some 320 loose grit. I found a decent stone. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I could only get him to take $10.

Along with a couple of other treasures.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just found this nice 8”X2-1/2”x3/4” soft Arkie today. It was really gunked up. But a bath in Dawn and a good lapping on glass with some 320 loose grit. I found a decent stone. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay. I could only get him to take $10.

Along with a couple of other treasures.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice little haul! What is the handled contraption if I may ask?

Nice little haul! What is the handled contraption if I may ask?
That is a tool post holder for a lathe. I actually picked up an old South Bend 9” lathe a few months back. I just finished rehabbing it. It is the perfect fit for my lathe. Got it for a song. So stoked.

My first wild find and my first trans. I’d appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the age. The stone came in a very nice wood box. It sits snug in the box but appears to have never been glued. Not sure if the box is an aftermarket addition. Both sides seem to be lapped and I get fairly strong stiction to my granite surface plate from the top. It looks like this little 6x2x0.75” chunk of novaculite may have some potential. SG is almost identical to my black ark from Dan’s.

The seller threw in an old vintage chisel made of Sheffield steel. The handle is shot but the blade looks alright. This will definitely be a burnishing upgrade from my kitchen knives.

View attachment 1297486

Nice! I'd would say 60s or 70s from the markings on the side, interestingly though yours doesn't mention the size. (It's an HB6, but yours just says 'HB'.)

And there are enough old Norton's I've seen in similar, very nice, boxes to make me assume that it might probably be original (?)

Another job lot I picked up recently and is on the way, including an old (40s?) Norton Hard translucent, and one of those weird stick-shaped TO'S.

Given the size of most of these stones I'm assuming they belonged to a jeweller or watchmaker, so I'm crossing my fingers for the two bench stones in the top left being interesting...

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 2.21.33 PM.png

Surprisingly the above arrived today. Here's the little old Norton Hard/translucent, in really good shape. It's an HB24 - 4x2x1/2". Anyone know if I'm correct in guessing this would be sometime around the 1940s...?

View attachment 1299382
I got one of these on the way, i look forward to using it. I got an old smiths hard not too long ago, it's a 4x2 and one of my favorite stones. It's kinda brownish, leopard patterned, craziest thing I've seen. Sg 2.58 (if i measured right) it cuts fast with pressure, faster than any hard ark ive seen but it will put an immaculate edge on my razors(especially the older steels). I barely use my 6x2 smiths semi translucent(looks like dans true hard) but maybe because it's glued on the lower half of the box. I think the 4x2 non translucent "hard" polishes waaaaayyy better.

I got one of these on the way, i look forward to using it. I got an old smiths hard not too long ago, it's a 4x2 and one of my favorite stones. It's kinda brownish, leopard patterned, craziest thing I've seen. Sg 2.58 (if i measured right) it cuts fast with pressure, faster than any hard ark ive seen but it will put an immaculate edge on my razors(especially the older steels). I barely use my 6x2 smiths semi translucent(looks like dans true hard) but maybe because it's glued on the lower half of the box. I think the 4x2 non translucent "hard" polishes waaaaayyy better.

Ah nice! Keen to hear your thoughts when you get it.

Turned out mine had basically almost never been used; no oil anywhere on the stone, label or tissue paper inside, and the surface is very fresh. It definitely cuts quick atm, but I'm assuming it'll bed in a bit.

I rather like it tbh, it's certainly cute! Freehand kitchen knife sharpening on translucents can be a somewhat tricksy, and this would be about the smallest I could get away with I think. (Though I only have a couple and they're both old Nortons, so no experience with other brands).

Ah nice! Keen to hear your thoughts when you get it.

Turned out mine had basically almost never been used; no oil anywhere on the stone, label or tissue paper inside, and the surface is very fresh. It definitely cuts quick atm, but I'm assuming it'll bed in a bit.

I rather like it tbh, it's certainly cute! Freehand kitchen knife sharpening on translucents can be a somewhat tricksy, and this would be about the smallest I could get away with I think. (Though I only have a couple and they're both old Nortons, so no experience with other brands).
i don't think mone had ever been used, or not with oil as well. Box and everything was pristine. I wonder if someone's got a big lot of unused ones they scored and are selling one by one. I used to finish on a 1x3 translucent but ive jumped to a 4x2 hard(that looks like a soft) and i think i kinda enjoy using a 4 x 2 to finish. It makes me pay attention and my edges benefit from it immensely.

I got these on the way too. I think the middle sized one is a washita/ hard combo, plus a little dished pocket washita(gonna lap and clean it for my son) and im not even going to guess the black one(been burned and wrong too many times). Im ready to check them out.

I got these on the way too. I think the middle sized one is a washita/ hard combo, plus a little dished pocket washita(gonna lap and clean it for my son) and im not even going to guess the black one(been burned and wrong too many times). Im ready to check them out. For $20 i figured it was worth looking into.
Screenshot_20210724-134344_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210724-134416_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210724-134427_eBay.jpg

Top Bottom