What's new

College Football

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
You know the Ivy league schools do not even offer athletic scholarships, right? Have you ever looked at the endowments of some of those institutions? I'm not sure it's morally right for them to even charge students tuition at those places.... When you have BILLIONS of cash it's pretty easy for your money to make money.
I did not consider athletic scholarships.
I'm presently looking at financial viability for schools to offer football - seems this is the time for the school's boards to consider ending programs. A college friend played football for a very small school but left after junior year when they dropped football and his scholarship.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Perhaps some schools will continue to successfully support football financially despite their inability to compete with elite football powers.
I think of Harvard Yale
Michigan OSU
Harvard does not have the "inability" to compete with elite football powers. On the contrary, Harvard has chosen not to compete with elite football powers. There's a difference. If Harvard decided that winning the national championship in football was important, I suspect they'd win it almost every year.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Harvard does not have the "inability" to compete with elite football powers. On the contrary, Harvard has chosen not to compete with elite football powers. There's a difference. If Harvard decided that winning the national championship in football was important, I suspect they'd win it almost every year.
After they hired Saban and got the NCAA to lift academic eligibility

Owen Bawn

I think the NCAA as we now know it will be nearly toothless in the future
You're right. It's raison d'etre was to keep kids from getting paid, and that's no longer an issue. If you see new a super SEC you'll see a big difference in TV contracts and how the money is split. Without winning, even in the SEC, you'll get a lot less money, if any at all. That's what will kill schools like Vandy.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
You're right. It's raison d'etre was to keep kids from getting paid, and that's no longer an issue. If you see new a super SEC you'll see a big difference in TV contracts and how the money is split. Without winning, even in the SEC, you'll get a lot less money, if any at all. That's what will kill schools like Vandy.
At least Vandy still has grad schools!

Owen Bawn

At least Vandy still has grad schools!
I've often said, even in this thread, that if a boy is recruited to play football at either Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, and maybe 3 or 4 others he is really poorly advised if he chooses to go somewhere else. But I take undergraduate education seriously.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I've often said, even in this thread, that if a boy is recruited to play football at either Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, and maybe 3 or 4 others he is really poorly advised if he chooses to go somewhere else. But I take undergraduate education seriously.
I know some athletes who played intercollegiate sports. The grind is unbelievable. How these people go to class and soak in anything is beyond me.

Owen Bawn

I know some athletes who played intercollegiate sports. The grind is unbelievable. How these people go to class and soak in anything is beyond me.
A 50-60 hour a week job with a lot of travelling. I know dozens of guys who played college hockey. Used to be the season ran from after Thanksgiving till the first week of March. Now they play from October through mid March, and if they make the NCAAs, well into April. In other words, nearly the entire school year.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
A 50-60 hour a week job with a lot of travelling. I know dozens of guys who played college hockey. Used to be the season ran from after Thanksgiving till the first week of March. Now they play from October through mid March, and if they make the NCAAs, well into April. In other words, nearly the entire school year.
Back in the past (1960s?) not all athletes were 24x7. The "off season" was truly down time - off. Now it seems imho, any serious athlete is on 24x7. Cross training, weights, you name it. If I were an elite athlete and could glimpse the elusive brass ring I'd be 24x7 too. As per the grad school reference, I have a friend, former bicycle racer, who plays orchestral classical music for a living and will continue to do so way past his athletic peak.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Absolutely. My wife played college basketball for a school that was transitioning from NAIA (her freshman season) to NCAA division 1 (her sophomore season). She was actually recruited by Harvard @Owen Bawn, (saying I married well above my station would be an understatement) Even in the environment of a small, private, Christian university 20 years ago it was an absolute grind. The coaches cared about winning above all, same with the administration.

Back in the past (1960s?) not all athletes were 24x7. The "off season" was truly down time - off. Now it seems imho, any serious athlete is on 24x7. Cross training, weights, you name it. If I were an elite athlete and could glimpse the elusive brass ring I'd be 24x7 too. As per the grad school reference, I have a friend, former bicycle racer, who plays orchestral classical music for a living and will continue to do so way past his athletic peak.

That has now extended down to high school athletes and even ones younger than that. If you want to play in college, you have to start playing summer league AAU etc etc when you're in about the 5th grade or so. Have to train year round. Have to specialize in one sport. Parents put out a ton of money driving their kids to out of town tournaments to compete and all that.

The days of the multi sport athlete playing whatever was in season just for the fun of it, or heck, even the days of kids in the neighbor hood playing pick up basketball, football, and baseball for fun.......those days seem to have faded away.....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My cousin's son accepted a football scholarship to Duke.

He ain't hurtin' any.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
So media reports today confirm what was leaked to the Houston Chronicle less than 24 hours ago. Texas & Oklahoma are indeed going to jump ship to the SEC. What does this now mean for the Big 12? Do the Houston Cougars come back? The SMU Mustangs? I predict a wave of conference realignment on the horizon. We likely end up with 4 - 16 team super conferences.

Being the Gen X'r that I am I feel this REM song is apropos

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So media reports today confirm what was leaked to the Houston Chronicle less than 24 hours ago. Texas & Oklahoma are indeed going to jump ship to the SEC. What does this now mean for the Big 12? Do the Houston Cougars come back? The SMU Mustangs? I predict a wave of conference realignment on the horizon. We likely end up with 4 - 16 team super conferences.

Being the Gen X'r that I am I feel this REM song is apropos

I'll give you Nebraska and Northwestern! 'still leaves Big 10 with "2" many teams...

Top Bottom