What's new

2021 Olympics

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Since the pandemic I have struggled to get excited about any sport, including these Olympics, and thought that they should not be held at all. However, I enjoyed the opening ceremony very much although I would have selected anyone else to light the flame. I am now hopeful that I will enjoy the rest of the games just as much. I feel sorry for the Japanese that the Olympics are being held under these circumstances as I am in no doubt that otherwise they would have staged a fabulous event, who knows they still may. Japan is without a doubt my favourite country of any that I have visited.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
One of the things I love about the Tour de France is that the athletes are celebrated, and not the flags of their homelands. I can't watch the Olympics in the USA with the constant jingoism and flag waving and USA against the world attitude. Some kid from Russia or Nigeria might shatter a world record in an event, but NBC has no interest, and immediately rushes to interview the American who finished 4th to take the wooden medal. I think I'm a patriotic American but when I watch the Olympics I want to celebrate these kids from all over the world, and not just the Americans.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I think there's an outdoor track in Cleveland, about 5 hours from me.
here is a list of usa velodromes - maybe one even closer!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Signed up for the peacock and trying to make our way thru the programming. Tbh I’m not that interested but am playing along for the sake of domestic tranquility. Although that’s seems to be a losing proposition. Lol.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The corruption and greed in the administration of the Olympics is the turn-off for me. Each Games is a multi-billion dollar extravaganza of broadcasting, advertising and endorsements, and yet the athletes are expected to remain "pure" unpaid amateurs.

Maybe everyone in the IOC should do the same and be unpaid volunteers as well.

Oh, and then there are those few sports where the uber-rich pro athletes are allowed to play (for free) to get ratings. The US basketball team ... the ten best hockey teams (depending on if the NHL and the IOC can swing their billion-dollar deal) ... oh, they get special rules.

*sigh*

Steve Bradbury won Gold

That's an absolute classic. If ever there was an object lesson to teach the "keep going even if you don't think you will win" lesson, this is it.

Baseball can be real boring if you’re not there in person.

That's a sport that I can't watch. I suppose if one played it, one could also enjoy watching it. But as a non-player, watching it seems pointless.

Thank God for YMMV.

I can't watch the Olympics in the USA with the constant jingoism and flag waving and USA against the world attitude.

I don't mind the flagwaving aspect, but I do agree that the media coverage can get silly. "Back in the day" when I would watch the Games, we tended to find the Canadian coverage noticeably more even-handed than the American in terms of highlighting interesting stories and athletes, and picking the "best" events to broadcast rather than just having the cameras and coverage focused only on "our" athletes.

Last edited:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
One of the things I love about the Tour de France is that the athletes are celebrated, and not the flags of their homelands. I can't watch the Olympics in the USA with the constant jingoism and flag waving and USA against the world attitude. Some kid from Russia or Nigeria might shatter a world record in an event, but NBC has no interest, and immediately rushes to interview the American who finished 4th to take the wooden medal. I think I'm a patriotic American but when I watch the Olympics I want to celebrate these kids from all over the world, and not just the Americans.
The same here in Australia with our tv. We are very jingoistic. You would think that Australia is the only nation that mattered watching our broadcast. The trouble is that we are not really that good at winning medals. As if that is the only thing that matters.

Once ever four years I become an expert on sports like diving and kayaking and can judge much better than the actual judges. Go figure. 😊😊😊

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
The same here in Australia with our tv. We are very jingoistic. You would think that Australia is the only nation that mattered watching our broadcast. The trouble is that we are not really that good at winning medals. As if that is the only thing that matters.

Once ever four years I become an expert on sports like diving and kayaking and can judge much better than the actual judges. Go figure. 😊😊😊
I thought USA was the only country with jingoistic reporting. Sorry to hear.
Just saw the finish of women's triathlon - wow!

Top Bottom