What's new

College Football

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
A Poll has all the limitations that are inherent in such lists, but I'd trust the Coaches before the AP though the two are often mirrors. What I noticed was that the Big Ten had multiple teams, including Sparty, represented, with the oft over-rated SEC had the same # of teams in the Top Ten as the PAC 12 .. as someone just said, time is a great equalizer.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As a football purist and a consumer I gotta say that I don't care about these polls. I had BC season tickets in my family since WWII that I only gave up after moving to Ohio in 2007. I still see them 2-4 times a year, depending in part on how close their away games are to my home. I've also been to Notre Dame, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, West Point, Annapolis, Pitt, Maryland, Northwestern, West Va, Wisconsin, Miami, Florida, and many other schools with lesser reputations as well as 6 different bowl games. But despite seeing some really exciting big time games in person the most fun I've had at football games has been at places like Dartmouth, Amherst, Williams, Mount Union, and St John's (Minnesota). Heck, I saw a game a few years ago at Bridgewater College in Virginia and had the time of my life. As a Boston College man I felt right at home- they're called the B.C. Eagles, and they wear maroon shirts, gold pants, and gold helmets.

That said, every football fan should see a game at Notre Dame and at Army at least once.

Here are the BC Eagles, by the way, but this ain't Chestnut Hill.

BC Eagles.jpg

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
As a football purist and a consumer.....

I see you as a kindred spirit Owen. When I was a young man I traveled with my folks to South Bend, Indiana to watch our beloved Commodores get crushed by a Lou Holtz coached Fighting Irish team in the early 1990s. It was a blazing hot early September day and even though we lost we had a great time and were treated well. Recently I rediscovered the glass beer mug imprinted with "Notre Dame vs Vanderbilt" my father purchased from Gipper's, a South Bend bar known for making commemorative drink wear for ND's home games. Definitely a great place to watch a college football game. I remember the band with the kilted drum majors, the beautiful campus. I missed the road trip Vandy took to West Point 12 years ago, which we lost (in overtime I believe) but a couple of our friends went - another pair of father/son season ticket holders that we sat in front of for years and years, they made the road trip and loved it. We became quite close with many of the other season ticket holders in our section. You ever see the Jimmy Fallon film Fever Pitch from several years ago about his character's passion for the Red Sox? Lots of truth in that movie that resonates with me. Based off a Nick Hornby memoir about Soccer (or football of course since he's British) Anyway they had a great trip, spent some time in NYC, then headed up the Hudson to a beautiful, historic campus for a ball game.

So yesterday I learn that Texas and Oklahoma are looking to move to the SEC. Wow.... not sure what to think.....

The only thing I'm certain of is that college athletics, particularly college football, will soon look vastly different. A 16 team SEC with 4 "pods" of 4 teams. A 12 team playoff. Players making bank off NIL (that's apparently the new acronym and parlance for "Name, Image, Likeness" for you uninitiated) Billion dollar television contracts. Hard to see where a small, private university known for academics and it's medical center fits into this new picture. I guess the appropriate Dylan lyrics are The times, they are a changin'.....or maybe better Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
So yesterday I learn that Texas and Oklahoma are looking to move to the SEC. Wow.... not sure what to think.....

The only thing I'm certain of is that college athletics, particularly college football, will soon look vastly different. A 16 team SEC with 4 "pods" of 4 teams. A 12 team playoff. Players making bank off NIL (that's apparently the new acronym and parlance for "Name, Image, Likeness" for you uninitiated) Billion dollar television contracts. Hard to see where a small, private university known for academics and it's medical center fits into this new picture. I guess the appropriate Dylan lyrics are The times, they are a changin'.....or maybe better Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
I do indeed know what you mean. My father and I sat in the same seats at BC for over 30 years and a community developed among those who sat around us. It was special, and I miss it. With regard to Texas and OU, I think the NCAA is finished as regards football, anyway. The SEC and perhaps the B1G will become professional leagues. Clemson, FSU, perhaps Miami will be plucked from the ACC. Schools like BC and Vandy are going to be faced with a difficult decision. Personally, I hope if it comes to this that BC decides to de-emphasize football and play a regional schedule against the likes of the Patriot and Ivy League teams. We'll see.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do indeed know what you mean. My father and I sat in the same seats at BC for over 30 years and a community developed among those who sat around us. It was special, and I miss it. With regard to Texas and OU, I think the NCAA is finished as regards football, anyway. The SEC and perhaps the B1G will become professional leagues. Clemson, FSU, perhaps Miami will be plucked from the ACC. Schools like BC and Vandy are going to be faced with a difficult decision. Personally, I hope if it comes to this that BC decides to de-emphasize football and play a regional schedule against the likes of the Patriot and Ivy League teams. We'll see.
Honestly, I think the B1G just needs to turn out the lights on football. Michigan is one season away from being a laughing stock.

The ONLY team worth watching if your not an alum is tOSU...

The ONLY thing that could help the Big Ten is if Notre Dame joins us...but what's in it for them? Be also rans to tOSU?

The ONLY thing that could help the Big Ten is if Notre Dame joins us...but what's in it for them? Be also rans to tOSU?
I think ND is stuck with the ACC for about 5 or 10 more years. I know it is a different conference agreement but they can not join another conference.

Yes CF will be different in the conference alignment. But the 12 team playoff is a big boost to all teams that had no chance to make the 4 team field.
I think rivals will always be there. And that will be the most important thing.

I love hearing stories about father/son college football adventures.
My dad was a tOSU grad and a season ticket holder. My best memories is going to games with him. I remember 2 games. Both unfortanally loses. 1969 at TTUN. My dad was so made driving back home to Ohio I will never forget that. And 1978 vs. Oklahoma
Uwe von Schamann last second kick to win one of the best college games ever.
My dad passed in 2017 and was able to buy one last year of tickets. I took my kids and my sister and her kids each to a game that year as a remembrance. The year was highlighted by a 39-38 incredible comeback vs. Penn State. A fitting game that is all about college football. Nothing better.

I know am just as crazy about tOSU as I was then.

GO BUCKS!!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Personally, I hope if it comes to this that BC decides to de-emphasize football and play a regional schedule against the likes of the Patriot and Ivy League teams. We'll see.

Honestly I think that would likely be the best thing for Vandy as well. Some other fans/friends of mine have kicked around this idea for a while now, of having a "Magnolia League" with the likes of Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forrest, Sewanee, Furman, The Citadel, Richmond, Tulane, Elon, Mercer, etc.....

Honestly I think that would likely be the best thing for Vandy as well. Some other fans/friends of mine have kicked around this idea for a while now, of having a "Magnolia League" with the likes of Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forrest, Sewanee, Furman, The Citadel, Richmond, Tulane, Elon, Mercer, etc.....
I don’t recall anyone talking about a school leaving the SEC before. I thought that everyone believed the SEC was the only conference in NCAA sports.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I don’t recall anyone talking about a school leaving the SEC before. I thought that everyone believed the SEC was the only conference in NCAA sports.

Sewanne or The University of the South, a beautiful small private college located on Monteagle Mountain between Nashville & Chattanooga was a charter member that left the conference back before WW II.

Georgia Tech & Tulane were both original, charter members that left later as well, sometime back in the 1960s.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I wonder why some schools still have football.
Now more than ever it is survival of the fittest.
Perhaps the NCAA will not even matter.

This is a legitimate question, especially considering the majority of college athletic programs are in the red when you look at total revenue vs expenses.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
This is a legitimate question, especially considering the majority of college athletic programs are in the red when you look at total revenue vs expenses.

These databases look legitimate.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I thought that everyone believed the SEC was the only conference in NCAA sports.

The favorite saying around these parts was that when it comes to football, the only 3 conferences that matter are the AFC, the NFC, and the SEC....

But really, if Texas and OU join, making a super-conference, what role is there for a school like Vanderbilt? What place do they have in a football super conference? Absolutely none.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Perhaps some schools will continue to successfully support football financially despite their inability to compete with elite football powers.
I think of Harvard Yale
Michigan OSU

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Perhaps some schools will continue to successfully support football financially despite their inability to compete with elite football powers.
I think of Harvard Yale
Michigan OSU

You know the Ivy league schools do not even offer athletic scholarships, right? Have you ever looked at the endowments of some of those institutions? I'm not sure it's morally right for them to even charge students tuition at those places.... When you have BILLIONS of cash it's pretty easy for your money to make money.

Top Bottom