What's new

Adjustables: A clash of shaving Titans….

Sorry my friend, I did not pick up on your question concerning the Rex and how it compares to these two razors. I think @faroll2 pretty much nailed it. There is nothing absolutely wrong with the Rex in terms of the shave and the build quality. Also, the tactile grip that it delivers to me, pound for pound is the best by far. No one else is even on the same planet when it comes to its grip factor. Sincerely though, it’s simply outclassed by these two Juggernauts. I love my Rex and it will never leave my shave den. Plus, the added benefit of it being made here in the USA is another reason why I cherish it. It feels great in the hands, balances extraordinarily well and for me it transitions easily when one is maneuvering the razor over ones face or transferring from one hand to the other (I use both hands for shaving) during the shave ritual.

In fire arms terms, think of the Rex as the Legendary Ma Deuce/M2 .50 Cal. Machine Gun. It puts bad dudes down quickly and ferociously. Now, take the Taiga & Sailor ‘21 and they are more like the BMG 50/GAU - 19/B, a 3 barrel modern day Gatling gun. Game over for the bad dudes before it even begins……
WOW - a Gatling gun razor you say, huh!!

I assume you're making an analogy in terms of precision, rather than aggressiveness?

Or... is it both? 😁

There's no comparison in my opinion. The Taiga and Sailor is in a different class. Both smoother and more efficient than the Rex. The only thing the Rex may Excell more in is the grip of the handle, and depending on the eye of the beholder (subjective), it is still a great looking razor.
It's hard to make sense of statements like "in a different class", as that sounds great, but tells nothing.

In different class - HOW? And more importantly - WHY?

FWIW, all I care about is how the razor shaves...

Reactions: Anu
It's hard to make sense of statements like "in a different class", as that sounds great, but tells nothing.

The how and why has been described extensively by @GlazedBoker in this thread already. I don't need to repeat his observations as I have come to the same or highly similar conclusions myself. In risk of doing so, I would very much sound like a broken record.

My suggestion is to find a way to experience the 3 aforementioned razors yourself so that you can come up with your own conclusions to satisfy your curiosity.

The how and why has been described extensively by @GlazedBoker in this thread already. I don't need to repeat his observations as I have come to the same or highly similar conclusions myself. In risk of doing so, I would very much sound like a broken record.

My suggestion is to find a way to experience the 3 aforementioned razors yourself so that you can come up with your own conclusions to satisfy your curiosity.
Which I have (obviously, otherwise wouldn't be posting here).

Let me use an analogy - a diamonds and rubies adorned Rolex tells time just as good as a more simple SS Rolex... and there are $200 quartz watches that tell time better than any mechanical watch (including Rolex). In other words, one doesn't buy a Rolex just to tell time... and this is my dilemma with these two razors. Will either give me a truly MUCH better shave than a (non-adjustable) Timeless or Balckland or RazoRock or DE89. Honestly, I doubt, but that's just me.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Which I have (obviously, otherwise wouldn't be posting here).

Let me use an analogy - a diamonds and rubies adorned Rolex tells time just as good as a more simple SS Rolex... and there are $200 quartz watches that tell time better than any mechanical watch (including Rolex). In other words, one doesn't buy a Rolex just to tell time... and this is my dilemma with these two razors. Will either give me a truly MUCH better shave than a (non-adjustable) Timeless or Balckland or RazoRock or DE89. Honestly, I doubt, but that's just me.
No, they will not give you a ‘much’ better shave; but, they might just provide you with a much better shave ‘experience’.

I said I wouldn't do this, but today I had a rather disgusting 3 day growth.
Rough as bramble.

So I turned the Taiga Ti up to 8. This thing is turning out to be one of the best blind
buys ever.

I used it on 8 for a basic North South WTG pass on the face and sideways across the chin.
Plus a South North pass on the neck. So smooth...less blade feel than my WR2 1.55 but
cheek feel was about at par.

Then I dropped it to 4 for a ATG pass ...and finished off with a XTG pass on the neck dialled
down to 3.

I'm really digging how I can deploy 3 different blade gaps to customise my shave. And modulate
the level of aggression I subject my skin to, as is appropriate.

I was really gonna get the 2021 Sailor in SS, but I think the Taiga is going to fill in the wait
nicely while I wait for Murat to open up orders for Sailor in Ti.

OK, here is some how and why.

I've had a Rex Ambassador (early 2020 model) for about 1 year, and it was near the top of the heap sitting up there with the Fatboy (restored in Rhodium plating). Also up there for me are the Gillette New Deluxe, New Improved. Once the Sailor came on the scene, the Rex moved to the sell list immediately.
On my skin at least, I find the Rex exhibited a certain "drag" I couldn't get away from, like the safety bar was just not able to slide effectively across my skin. No matter the angle, the lather amount, the cream/soap, the residual slickness, it didn't ever feel that smooth, there was unnecessary friction with the safety bar/top cap.

The safety bar on the Gillette adjustable/tech/New series to me don't exhibit much face drag, I found the shaves better with those. Obviously open combs less friction/drag given their surface area of the face is less.

Where the Rex is better than the Fatboy is the ability to hold down blades firmly (and take cheap blades) and shave closer. 9 on the Fatboy for me still needs 3 passes, whereas the Rex cranked up to 3.5-4 would be good for 2 passes.

I found increasing the blade gap on the Rex increased the blade feel and closeness, whereas the Sailor with increasing the blade gap your cutting closer, but you dont necessarily feel more blade in proportion. It just doesnt make sense (in a good way)
If find the Sailor gives shaves with exceptional/baffling levels smoothness with either 1 or 2 passes at around 3-4 on the dial, you don't even feel anything until you realise tough stubble is just gone. I don't get any noticeable drag/friction from the safety bar (using MdC or SV). For me it just totally eliminates that flaw, IMO

Summary: Compared to the Rex, The Rocnel Sailor is able to cut closer (do more work), with negligible blade feel and with less drag.

My Rex is sold, the value proposition around grip gnarling just wasn't a reason to give up those 3 key benefits for me. The sailor for me works with cheap blades like Lord Super Stainless as it's heavy and rigid in securing the blade.

To be honest, the Sailor has partially killed my interested in DE razors, its just that good, I've had to start SR shaving just to get a challenge again.

@GlazedBoker Great write up, i've enjoyed following along!

P7230090 (2).JPG

Last edited:

I've had a Rex Ambassador (early 2020 model) for about 1 year, and it was near the top of the heap sitting up there with the Fatboy (restored in Rhodium plating). Also up there for me are the Gillette New Deluxe, New Improved. Once the Sailor came on the scene, the Rex moved to the sell list immediately.
On my skin at least, I find the Rex exhibited a certain "drag" I couldn't get away from, like the safety bar was just not able to slide effectively across my skin. No matter the angle, the lather amount, the cream/soap, the residual slickness, it didn't ever feel that smooth, there was unnecessary friction with the safety bar/top cap.

The safety bar on the Gillette adjustable/tech/New series to me don't exhibit much face drag, I found the shaves better with those. Obviously open combs less friction/drag given their surface area of the face is less.

Where the Rex is better than the Fatboy is the ability to hold down blades firmly (and take cheap blades) and shave closer. 9 on the Fatboy for me still needs 3 passes, whereas the Rex cranked up to 3.5-4 would be good for 2 passes.

I found increasing the blade gap on the Rex increased the blade feel and closeness, whereas the Sailor with increasing the blade gap your cutting closer, but you dont necessarily feel more blade in proportion. It just doesnt make sense (in a good way)
If find the Sailor gives shaves with exceptional/baffling levels smoothness with either 1 or 2 passes at around 3-4 on the dial, you don't even feel anything until you realise tough stubble is just gone. I don't get any noticeable drag/friction from the safety bar (using MdC or SV). For me it just totally eliminates that flaw, IMO

Summary: Compared to the Rex, The Rocnel Sailor is able to cut closer (do more work), with negligible blade feel and with less drag.

My Rex is sold, the value proposition around grip gnarling just wasn't a reason to give up those 3 key benefits for me. The sailor for me works with cheap blades like Lord Super Stainless as it's heavy and rigid in securing the blade.

To be honest, the Sailor has partially killed my interested in DE razors, its just that good, I've had to start SR shaving just to get a challenge again.
@mattps1, highlighted above was the kind of insight I have been looking for, so an immense THANK YUO SIR! 😀

I'm an analytical type, so this is the kind of input I am always after. I cannot express how invaluable this is to me.

BTW, SV Opuntia / Desert Vetiver and MdC Rose happen to be my favorite traditional hard soaps, so now I appreciate your expert opinion even more!

Two things I absolutely dread in shaving are drag and inefficiency (aka stubble left even after umpteenth ATG pass)... so this Sailor is becoming evermore appealing.

No, they will not give you a ‘much’ better shave; but, they might just provide you with a much better shave ‘experience’.

Uh, I think "Bingo" would be appropriate as well.... :thumbup1:

@GlazedBoker Great write up, i've enjoyed following along!

View attachment 1300818

Awesome the Sailor & stand combo. I agree as well with your assessment of the Sailor.

And thanks.....:thumbsup:

Well said.

How’s fat boy compared with titans as far as shaves are concerned. Could be a stupid question, but it just came to my concern.

Disaster struck just a little while ago. I’m just disgusted at what has happened. Taking my SOTD pic for today’s shave off with the Slim and this is what happened.

The Sailor fell about 14’ from my balcony onto the sidewalk in my backyard. It’s a paperweight now…

69AD4DC2-3A38-48DE-AFB4-0EEE8F4A4470.jpeg

CD9DC6CD-0FA7-4292-B00D-B9CCD05C2F51.jpeg

34A4C2E1-F930-420D-90C3-511935285DE2.jpeg

6F432DF6-33FF-4307-9609-C5D09FE3390A.jpeg

44673C6C-4207-4327-95A6-D0A4551A5345.jpeg

Yes, it’s just a razor but, DAMN!!
I need a drink or two…….

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Disaster struck just a little while ago. I’m just disgusted at what has happened. Taking my SOTD pic for today’s shave off with the Slim and this is what happened.

The Sailor fell about 14’ from my balcony onto the sidewalk in my backyard. It’s a paperweight now…

View attachment 1301108
View attachment 1301109
View attachment 1301110
View attachment 1301111
View attachment 1301112

Yes, it’s just a razor but, DAMN!!
I need a drink or two…….
Gus, I am so sorry, man. How about using it as a travel razor?

Gus, I am so sorry, man. How about using it as a travel razor?

I'll contact Rocnel tomorrow via email and send Murat pics of the condition. It's the slightly rolled corners on each end on the side that the Sailor fell on that concerns me. It's just a razor and there are substantially much more important things in life but, it still stings a little. We'll see what happens.....

I'll contact Rocnel tomorrow via email and send Murat pics of the condition. It's the slightly rolled corners on each end on the side that the Sailor fell on that concerns me. It's just a razor and there are substantially much more important things in life but, it still stings a little. We'll see what happens.....
So sorry for the loss, it stings for sure. I am sure there will be some solution.

Top Bottom