What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

I bought a refill puck of Tabac from Amazon (on May 22nd) to experiment with, mainly because of its Legendary Status for residual slickness here on B&B. I remember looking at the label when my puck arrived and noticing tallow was not listed in the ingredients. I thought that odd, but shrugged it off.

My experience with Tabac over the past couple of months has been good, in the sense that I'll continue to use what I have, but it has not proven to be extraordinary in any way for me, and don't see myself ordering more in the future. While I can't say my lack of appreciation stems from the current formulation, I am left wondering...

C'est la vie!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
And then this little gem from 2010...

It is certainly true that we tend to want to validate our own beliefs.
Having said that, as a Vendor, I'm sure you know that if the public perceives a change is detrimental, it's not good for business, whether or not that perception is based on fact or belief.

People don't like change so almost any change in a beloved product is perceived as detrimental initially until people adapt. You can't let fear of change stop your brand's progress. I'm sure all the car guys here remember how everyone flipped when the 911 went water-cooled. Twenty years later and the 911 has as good a reputation as it ever had, or even better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And then this little gem from 2010...

I don't remember saying those things I said, but I agree with the 2010 me.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I don't remember saying those things I said, but I agree with the 2010 me.

I figured you would appreciate seeing your responses in that thread from 11 years ago ;)

It's always interesting to me looking back at some of those old threads and seeing who's still around and who's long gone, lots and lots of avatars/profiles that are unfamiliar to me and a notable few that are.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
People don't like change so almost any change in a beloved product is perceived as detrimental initially until people adapt.

That's the premise that "we can do whatever we want and the good little soldiers will keep marching up with their money."
I'm not marching up.
Adapt means "till the customers who never knew better outnumber the ones that do"

You can't let fear of change stop your brand's progress.

This isn't about brand progress, it's about economics. Unless you mean M&W as a company versus Tabac as a branded product. Which I can understand while still not liking it.

I'm sure all the car guys here remember how everyone flipped when the 911 went water-cooled. Twenty years later and the 911 has as good a reputation as it ever had, or even better.

I'm not a car nut, and don't know anything about the argument. But that example appears to be about a single model in a single manufacturers lineup, rather than a wave sweeping an entire industry.

Well, all I know is they quit getting my money when they dropped SIM.

No offense to the folks that enjoy the scent of Tabac, but I can't help but feel like if they had offered SIM in a puck form rather than only stick it would have sold as well or better than Tabac. Just think of that classic ceramic bowl Tabac comes in, only filled to the top with SIM. No no....the brain trust at M&W instead decided to just drop SIM soap altogether. That was an unforgiveable offense to humanity, one I shall never forget nor forgive.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyway, it is what it is, and there's not a darned thing anyone can do about it besides modify their spending habits.
I don't think I've left doubt in the mind of anyone what my opinion on the subject is, so I'll stop flogging this poor dead pony.
:lol1:

That's the premise that "we can do whatever we want and the good little soldiers will keep marching up with their money."
I'm not marching up.
Adapt means "till the customers who never knew better outnumber the ones that do"

This isn't about brand progress, it's about economics. Unless you mean M&W as a company versus Tabac as a branded product. Which I can understand while still not liking it.

I'm not a car nut, and don't know anything about the argument. But that example appears to be about a single model in a single manufacturers lineup, rather than a wave sweeping an entire industry.

Welp, you’ve clearly made your decision! Being so sure of the outcome before a single lather has been whipped up is a little strange to me, but I see some of your points and I believe in letting your dollars do the talking. Good thing there are plenty of tallow options out there!

Anyway, it is what it is, and there's not a darned thing anyone can do about it besides modify their spending habits.
I don't think I've left doubt in the mind of anyone what my opinion on the subject is, so I'll stop flogging this poor dead pony.
:lol1:

I understood you perfectly. I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I believe the next step is how does it compare with the previous formulation?

Hear Hear! This is the B&B folks, we should be able to round up a donation of some of each formulation and a few volunteers for a detailed report!

OK - I volunteer. Anybody want to send me some Tallow Tabac? :biggrin:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’m gonna be a rich man in a few months!
1627005276699.gif

Here's an idea about how we can get around the preconceived notion bias. I have never tried Tabac.
Somebody could send me a small sample of the new formulation and of the old formulation, label them a and b, and I could use them side by side on either side of my face and provide a detailed report.

Top Bottom