What's new

you ever feel guilty with all the gear you have? razors, blades etc etc

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I enjoy being able to look at a large collection and say...hmmmm...what will it be today? I like a lot of options on the software side.

I do the same. :)

All the gear I have is 1 main DE, 1 backup, a brush I no longer use (because I recently switched to hand-to-face lathering), several hundred blades, 1 soap, 2 creams. I figure I will use up most of the disposable stuff by the end of the year.
I don't consider my gear excessive and I feel no guilt. I wish I had bought quality from the get-go instead of buying and returning or disposing of gear every year from 2013 til 2020, but there is no way you can obtain the required experience to make such sound decisions without trying out for yourself. Also the majority of current lifetime-warranty razors didn't go into mass production until a couple of years ago, so when I started in 2013 I had the choice between Feather All-Stainless (risky, since expensive and I was clueless), Fatip (I had the V1 Piccolo, which felt like playing Resident Evil before hitting the bed) and the run-of-the-mill pot metal/plastic DE razors. From my current experience, I know I would have liked the AS-D1 and saved money and trouble.

Interesting you mentioned the AS D1 and not the D2?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
just take a shower in your aftershaves, guaranteed to come out smelling great lool 😂 😂 😂

I was probably around 150 in when I realized I was at a point of no return.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy splashing on aftershaves, but I can’t help but wonder, if I should have just went with a single non scented AS with a bunch of face goodies or at least something centric like Speick, and then just purchased spray colognes and EdT’s for scent. :)

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I haven't decided yet, if it's a pleasure to pick today's aftershave for my shave, from my 200 AS's; or if it's a chore, or bondage, to have to decide and pick out, a single aftershave from my 200 AS's. :)

If one tires of their 200 brushes, you can easily sell and PIF away. Same with razors and soaps. But liquid aftershaves? Most of them drugstore AS's? Modern & vintage alike, but still drugstore aftershaves? I can't sell them all and recoup any money and in 10 years, I don't know anyone who wants them.

Paying postage on 200 PIF's, would be as costly as it was collecting them. :)
You could go to a wet shaving show and just put them on the table...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Modern & vintage alike, but still drugstore aftershaves? I can't sell them all and recoup any money and in 10 years, I don't know anyone who wants them.

I bet there are plenty of fogies like me on here that would be happy to see vintage aftershaves hit the BST.
Much safer bet than buying from eBay which is constantly haunted by thieves, liars and crooks.

Guilt????
Heck no!
I’ve spent me entire adult life putting my family, my Country, and my God above any of my personal needs or wants. And, I continue to do so and will for as long as I roam the Earth.
I’m blessed to be able to collect a few razors, soaps, and creams.
I look at it as a small reward for a job well done.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How about a family photo?

Not too feasible. The razors that have made it into (at least semi-) frequent rotation are in the Den (spare bathroom) in one of these:
razor organizer.jpg
There are two more in the spare bedroom that are full for razors that may not be right at hand in the Den, but that I want to be able to get at without too much hassle.

I'll try get a pic of the storage box in my Den.

Plus, I have Plano adjustable storage boxes for razors that I need access to less frequently:
plano storage.jpg

Not my pics.

I haven't decided yet, if it's a pleasure to pick today's aftershave for my shave, from my 200 AS's; or if it's a chore, or bondage, to have to decide and pick out, a single aftershave from my 200 AS's. :)

If one tires of their 200 brushes, you can easily sell and PIF away. Same with razors and soaps. But liquid aftershaves? Most of them drugstore AS's? Modern & vintage alike, but still drugstore aftershaves? I can't sell them all and recoup any money and in 10 years, I don't know anyone who wants them.

To make picking an aftershave a little more interesting you could always get some cork board with a list of them all on it and a dart. As for getting rid of ones you don’t want anymore I can understand because of the hassle especially considering a lot of AS has alcohol in it. Plus could you imagine trying to get rid of a custom blend along the lines of dragons-blood, cool water and Egyptian musk?

Despite accepting that I have too much shave gear, I do not for a second feel guilty about it. However, I will admit to occasional feelings of "option paralysis". Fortunately, it's quickly remedied by busting out a standard setup like TOBS Sandalwood and a Merkur Progress :)

If only you knew an expert on AS, who (with 200 more bottles) could give incredibly well-informed advice, and maybe even get inspiringly creative with blending. He might even get famous and have his own branding!

You could ship them all to that guy, and you would only have to pack and ship them once.

And we would all be grateful that you enabled such greatness.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

I have on occasion owned far too many aftershaves. I acquired this old Razobrite bath and the LOTH has repurposed it into a reed diffuser. I fill it with an out of favour aftershave and it makes my den smell good and more importantly makes my wife happy. Depending on your climate the AS can evaporate quite quickly 👍 Alternatively you could start using your AS Charles Bronson Mandom style.

20210722_190425.jpg

well thanks guys you defo made me feel better reading some of your posts,
like i said earlier maybe its just my own internal issues, was more wondering if any of you lot ever had the same thought arise

I have on occasion owned far too many aftershaves. I acquired this old Razobrite bath and the LOTH has repurposed it into a reed diffuser. I fill it with an out of favour aftershave and it makes my den smell good and more importantly makes my wife happy. Depending on your climate the AS can evaporate quite quickly 👍 Alternatively you could start using your AS Charles Bronson Mandom style.

View attachment 1300503

Love the diffuser!

So, Charles Bronson... does he load a flame thrower with AS or what?!

Top Bottom