What's new

Buying into a battery system for lawn care.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and start buying battery powered lawn care equipment, at least a string trimmer and maybe a blower for now. I don't have a huge area but want something that is going to last and is expandable. For power tools I've already bought into the Ridged line so that's not helpful for lawncare.

Has anyone already done their research and able offer any pointers?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have several of the Craftsman V20 line. Pole trimmer, weed whacker (as well as drill/driver, circular saw).
I'm very happy with them, and having so many of that brand, I'll probably continue due to battery/charger compatibility.
Battery life is very good, and they have a wide selection of different amp hour batteries to choose from so you can balance work time versus weight.
For small lawns that are maintained regularly, I understand that the battery mowers do just fine, but are not there yet for large lawns or overly tall grass (>3 or 4 inches).
I've not been happy with any Ryobi I've purchased. Felt very cheap.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have several of the Craftsman V20 line. Pole trimmer, weed whacker (as well as drill/driver, circular saw).
I'm very happy with them, and having so many of that brand, I'll probably continue due to battery/charger compatibility.
Battery life is very good, and they have a wide selection of different amp hour batteries to choose from so you can balance work time versus weight.
For small lawns that are maintained regularly, I understand that the battery mowers do just fine, but are not there yet for large lawns or overly tall grass (>3 or 4 inches).
I've not been happy with any Ryobi I've purchased. Felt very cheap.
Did you ever get the battery mower?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have the Ego mower. Absolutely love it with one caveat that Phil already stated - It does not do well with tall grass. BUT, it is pretty easy to clear the clog. Flip it, unclog, push button and go.

I also have the Ego chainsaw which is pretty great as well. Add the bar & chain oil and that’s it. As the other tools wear out I‘ll replace with the Ego line.

I have a vote for the Makita 18V system, especially the broad choice and functionalities of the double battery group. I suspect much of my choice comes from good personal experiences stemming from the 1980s. When I looked at the versatility and long positive market acceptance they've earned; and, the growth of the science for lithium power cells and their maintenance, it seemed like a solid bet. So far so good.

I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and start buying battery powered lawn care equipment, at least a string trimmer and maybe a blower for now. I don't have a huge area but want something that is going to last and is expandable. For power tools I've already bought into the Ridged line so that's not helpful for lawncare.

Has anyone already done their research and able offer any pointers?
Craftsman and Ryobi are good options. Both are affordable and fairly durable. I would say that Ryobi is probably a better option in terms of the sheer number of tools that can run on the same battery but Craftsman makes good stuff too.
I used a Ryobi mower, string trimmer and leaf blower until recently when the mower died and I bought a Fiskars reel mower and then decided to get the Milwaukee M18 string trimmer and leaf blower.
If you are just a homeowner and doing light duty stuff, Ryobi would be fine.

I have the Ego mower. Absolutely love it with one caveat that Phil already stated - It does not do well with tall grass. BUT, it is pretty easy to clear the clog. Flip it, unclog, push button and go.

I also have the Ego chainsaw which is pretty great as well. Add the bar & chain oil and that’s it. As the other tools wear out I‘ll replace with the Ego line.
The only problem with Ego is that you are limited to lawn care tools. With Craftsman or Ryobi you could use the same batteries in your lawn tools that you do in all of your other tools.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve got the ryobi mower. No complaints. Small lawn. One battery works for me but any decent sized lawn you’ll need 2 batteries.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Reading through I am again struck by the underlying compatibility issue. Reminds me of shaving in the early 20th century .. I have a couple cordless drills with obsolete battery systems - the tool works but the battery is worn out and doesn't last. And I am out of outlets for chargers .. not supposed to put those in the garage either eh? And not sure that there's a real gain for the environment when you sub my 5 gallon a summer mower gas for XYZ KW of juice plus the disposal of the lithium from China..

It is the same with cars really, at present they won't go the distance and arguably could just substitute one form of energy slavery for another .. But the cordless gasless stuff is intriguing, that's how they sell you batteries (King Gillette would be proud) but until the power is standardized I'm out for lawn tools. Probably my gas stuff will outlast me anyway, as will me straights

I’ve got the ryobi mower. No complaints. Small lawn. One battery works for me but any decent sized lawn you’ll need 2 batteries.
Same here. I have the ryobi 40v trimmer and blower combo. Plenty of power and the battery lasts long enough for my small yard. I would worry about a medium size yard. The 40v batteries are really expensive and heavy for hand tools. I went with 40 instead of 18 because of power. Gas mowers until they outlaw it.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Three years ago we ditched small engines for the Ego system. Own a push mower, leaf blower and trimmer, and all are fantastic. Highly recommended.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
one of these can cut grass over 3" - no need for an electric
1626954099188.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a Ryobi battery powered trimmer that works great. I tried a couple of battery powered blowers and was not impressed, but they seem to improve every year, so perhaps the current offerings are better. I have been watching the battery operated mowers and like the idea. They are quiet, from what I have read.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a Worx String Trimmer and Blower that use the same battery. If I was to try to add something new, I’d have to change battery systems and start all over. It seems that they don’t keep the same system in their current lineup very long. In a mower I don’t think it would matter because your mower is always likely to have a larger battery than the blower or string trimmer.

I’ve been thinking of battery hedge clippers.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The exercise is good for you. That is unless you have a huge lawn, but then you wouldn’t be looking at battery powered mower then.

I get plenty of exercise walking about, I don't want to be out in the sun pushing a manual mower and having a stroke :lol:
I have almost 4 acres, about 1 acre or so is lawn, and a John Deere X738 tractor to do the majority of the mowing.
I'm getting a battery operated mower with a smaller footprint to get the areas behind the generator and the AC Units and areas like that where it is impossible to get the tractor and mower deck. Those areas are too big for a weedwhacker, but too small for a trimmer.

Top Bottom