What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89

Just had my 2nd shave with my new Edwin Jagger DE89 and must say that this is the best DE razor I have ever used. Its so mild as to allow you to be as aggressive as you'd like while at the same time giving you a wide margin for error. It's like you can't even feel the blade, just the razor head unlike my Merkur 34C. I get no irritation from it and I don't feel as if I'm going to cut myself at anytime no matter how aggressive I get with it. It is also hefty and solidly built, moreso then my Merkur 34C. It was a pure joy to use and you can feel the quality in your hand when you shave with it. such a pleasure to use!

I've got a DE89 head razor, Muhle R89, & until today no Merkur razors. I traded an Aluminum Lupo for a Merkur 33C. From reading your post above you seemed to find the 34C more aggressive than the DE89. Guess I'll see how these 2 compare.

I also have a King C. Gillette razor which a lot of people on this forum say uses a DE89/R89 head. But if look closely at it's head it looks more like a Merkur head.

Edwin Jagger makes some really nice looking DE89 style razors but they're not great quality. It's made of Zamak so it will not last a lifetime. Just make sure you don't drop it. The EJ89 head is the weak point. Now the 3one6 is a quality razor. But not mild like the DE89.

I've got a DE89 head razor, Muhle R89, & until today no Merkur razors. I traded an Aluminum Lupo for a Merkur 33C. From reading your post above you seemed to find the 34C more aggressive than the DE89. Guess I'll see how these 2 compare.

I also have a King C. Gillette razor which a lot of people on this forum say uses a DE89/R89 head. But if look closely at it's head it looks more like a Merkur head.

Edwin Jagger makes some really nice looking DE89 style razors but they're not great quality. It's made of Zamak so it will not last a lifetime. Just make sure you don't drop it. The EJ89 head is the weak point. Now the 3one6 is a quality razor. But not mild like the DE89.

Sir, you are quite mistaken in claim that Edwin Jagger razors are not great quality. They are exceptionally fine razors. The choice of material may be differ from some but many razors were, have been, and are made from pot metal and casting process. They are not inferior in any way.

Sorry but the EJ 3one6 material wise is in a different league from the EJ89. But you pay for the better materials. The EJ89's look great but they are not as durable as a stainless razor.

I have been using my DE89 since 2010, daily for the last five or six years. Edwin Jagger DE89 has a fantastic value in this market. Its chrome plating is flawless and tolerances are amazing for a cast razor. It is a razor of excellent quality, in my opinion, if one would understand the definition of quality.
It would be silly to say that DE89 is of inferior quality just because is not made of stainless.
Just drop your stainless razor a couple of times and see what happens.

The DE89/R89 are fine razors, and actually the model for many of the modern crop of 3-piece razors made of different materials. Properly maintained, they might indeed last a lifetime - Zamak is not a bad material of itself, and is even used in the automotive and firearms industry. It requires some care, and it's certainly not as durable and bulletproof as steel, brass, bronze or titanium, but strong enough for the purpose and the EJ and Muhle models represent the foundational design for many razors that followed.

If you drop them both I'm sure the stainless razor will break. But I'll bet the stainless razor will last longer. Which is what I'm basically saying. And for the record most of the razors I use are made of zamak.

I'm over 50y/o and figure that I've got maybe 15-20 years left before I leave. If my EJ DB89 survives the 15-20 years what do I care. My son has a beard and when he did shave used a cartridge. So he will take the EJ DB and deep six it into the round file. That's its lifetime. How much longer do you expect the razor to last? Gillette sold thousands of razors in the period 30-70's. How many are still here today? They were not Zamack but they are GONE. That's their lifetime. I should pay a kings ransom for a razor to have it gone in 20years

The razor I enjoy and use most is my DE89, I have over 30 razors, new, vintage, stainless, aluminum, brass, none are as enjoyable to use as my ‘89’. They can be found for around $30 so replacing them is not a heavy financial burden for me should it become unusable due to its zamak head. I have several of these razors, the oldest for 7 years, and none of them has any indications of deterioration. I suggest if you like the razor use it, if you want to try one, they are not as expensive as many modern razors. As always YMMV.

I have an R89 and a 37C (similar to 34C but slanted). As someone well said in another thread, the R89 is like a jewel, the 34C is like a tool. As for longevity, they are close imo, but I'd put my money on the Merkur. The top caps are said to be the weakest point of both. The Merkur has a brass handle, the Mühle has only a brass thread.
My R89 head fell 2 feet to a tiled floor, there is a small nick in the plating on the side of the cap -> I guess the days of it are numbered, but I rarely use it, so that might prolong it a bit :) The top cap can be replaced anyway.

P.s.: I usually take good care of my stuff, but sh.t happens. Imo it is fair to assume that 1-2 drops will happen over a decade, then it is only a matter of luck whether it nicks the plating or not.

Snobbery of razor material is ridiculous. Stainless is far from perfect and stainless finish is less durable than chrome plating in many instances. One of my most expensive razor purchases is a marine grade stainless offering from a domestic company. It rusted. Compare that to the Edwin Jagger razors which are chrome plated and cost less. The EJ razor never had any issue with finish or corrosion. Cost or material is not indicative of anything but cost and material.

The op has purchased a fine razor, one of the best offerings on the market that will last him for many years to come and provide much enjoyment in shaving. We should all be happy for him and wish him many happy years with the new razor.

Just had my 2nd shave with my new Edwin Jagger DE89 and must say that this is the best DE razor I have ever used. Its so mild as to allow you to be as aggressive as you'd like while at the same time giving you a wide margin for error. It's like you can't even feel the blade, just the razor head unlike my Merkur 34C. I get no irritation from it and I don't feel as if I'm going to cut myself at anytime no matter how aggressive I get with it. It is also hefty and solidly built, moreso then my Merkur 34C. It was a pure joy to use and you can feel the quality in your hand when you shave with it. such a pleasure to use!

+1! Many of us endorse the EJ89 for ‘new’ wet shavers. It is also excellent for those of us who prefer ’mild/moderate’ razors: a very fine shaver IMHO!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have been using my DE89 since 2010, daily for the last five or six years. Edwin Jagger DE89 has a fantastic value in this market. Its chrome plating is flawless and tolerances are amazing for a cast razor. It is a razor of excellent quality, in my opinion, if one would understand the definition of quality.
It would be silly to say that DE89 is of inferior quality just because is not made of stainless.
Just drop your stainless razor a couple of times and see what happens.
Lemme guess. It might break the ceramic floor tile in the bathroom?

Snobbery of razor material is ridiculous. Stainless is far from perfect and stainless finish is less durable than chrome plating in many instances. One of my most expensive razor purchases is a marine grade stainless offering from a domestic company. It rusted. Compare that to the Edwin Jagger razors which are chrome plated and cost less. The EJ razor never had any issue with finish or corrosion. Cost or material is not indicative of anything but cost and material.

The op has purchased a fine razor, one of the best offerings on the market that will last him for many years to come and provide much enjoyment in shaving. We should all be happy for him and wish him many happy years with the new razor.
I can’t agree more. We have reached a level of ridiculousness in this area where now new wet shavers without even trying a razor are assuming that ones made of Zamak are bad. My DE89 is at least 10 years old and it is in perfect condition. And it gives me a great shave. The angle of attack is narrow though and you have to gold that angle. One should learn how to do this before running out to buy ever more efficient (another over used word here) razors.

FWIW, I have used a safety razor for 40 years.

The razor is excellent and a pleasure to use, however, like many have said the material is a problem. The screw thread broke off and that was the end. I'd suggest buying 2 and don't over tighten the head to handle.
I reckon they missed an opportunity by not offering one in SS when creating their new one.

Thanks for sharing it @Pedigree ! Do you use the original handle?

the EJ DE 89 was my first safety razor bought nearly 8 years ago. As many here, I sold mine before getting proficient with it. I would love to try the DE89 again or the R89

Top Bottom