What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

21-July 2021 Shave
Razor:
Schick Xtreme 2
Pre-Shave: Warm Shower and lime scented bar soap
Soap: A layer of Cremo with Gillette Foamy over the top
Aftershave: Witch Hazel, Cremo Unscented AS Balm, Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Rating: 7/10

The shave: I know, I know -didn't use the good stuff. Overslept today and needed to get the shave done quickly. Three pass DFS, but not great.

Sunny Wednesday Morning Shave:

Gillette Tech pre-war model w/ Super Knurl handle
Personna Med Prep (5)
Semogue C5 Torga premium boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap as stick
Provence Sante Verlaine shave soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
RR American Barber aftershave

Clean, close shave; DFS

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wednesday, July 21st 2021

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84- Mfg 2018, tame mid range, I enjoy this razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade(9/1000 inch wider)
Blade: Kai SS extra wide(9), sharp and smooth, excellent longevity for sure. 9/1000 or 4.5/1000 inch per side. Nice to have a tuck or 2 for your milder razors.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scents with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Atlantis, Great lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrubber+ great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel + Nivea refreshing AS + Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + not weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my RR GC.84 + a Kai SS blade.

Sunday Schick shave July 21th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Wilkinson - Pall Mall (7 Day Set) 1905
Blade: Wilkinson - “Special” Wedge Blade
Brush: Spiffo - Alezeh (High Mountain White SHD-Fan) 26mm
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Squadron - Empire
Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
B99EF09D-F61F-4590-BB6F-C69C2A25462F.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.6/10
Today is the start of a two week shaving journey.
For good or bad I’m taking my Pall Mall 7 day set for a spin. I only shave every other day, so it will take me two weeks to complete. I don’t think the blades had ever been sharpened, so I reset the bevels and honed them myself. Each blade may shave a little differently, but will give me insight on which blades may need a little extra work.
A9FFB674-059C-40AA-9654-BF0B69F7E069.jpeg

After honing I did a little leather stropping before the shave.
71F4EB4E-7F1F-45AA-A207-7155E8877701.jpeg
4B9D62EC-C412-44DC-A154-1D7A7BA5E8E2.jpeg

The shave went well for a first “get acquainted” outing. I couldn’t obtain a BBS, especially under my nose and chin. No nicks or cuts, pulling or tugging, but just could not obtain full smoothness. I didn’t want to scrub too much until I know what this razor is all about. The next shave with a different blade may reveal clues.
You can set the angle (tilt) of the head. I tried a few angles, but went back to 90° until I get used to it. I know the later Pall Malls have an adjustment screw to custom set the blade gap.
In spite of not getting as close of a shave as I was hoping, the process was smooth and comfortable. The odd looking safety bar/comb with a screw like thread on it actually rolls across your face. I really liked that.

I’m looking forward to my next Pall Mall shave. Let’s see how the Friday blade treats me.
Before I put today’s blade away, I gave it some quick licks with 3k-8k and 12k stones...just for good measure.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: GEM Micromatic Silver Clog Proof (12 bump guard)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Soap: Stirling Barbershop
Bowl: Black Stirling Collapsible bowl
Brush: RazoRock/Zenith 506UK Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Stypic Pencil, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.75/10 Excellent 3 pass BBS shave one touch up needed. opened two prior weepers, No cuts or irritation. Wonderful shave. Had said MMCP was too aggressive, but tried it today with absolutely no pressure and it worked better. Not saying it would be my daily driver, but was a better experience than a couple days ago.

Blackbird,Willys(1),Stirling boat drinks,Simpsons Tulip1,Thayers.Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green.First time using a Willys blade and probably the last.Paired with this razor gave me the most uncomfortable shave i've ever had.Cut myself within 30 seconds and going ATG just dragged.The Blackbird has dragged a bit with every blade i've tried ATG but this was something else.Nearly abandoned the shave a few times but carried on like the idiot i am.If this was the only set up i had i'd grow a beard. 2/10 Take care happy shaves everyone.
20210721_155916[1].jpg

Razor: Razorock Mamba 0.53
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (2)
Pre-shave: none
Brush: Razorock Monster
Lather: Sterling Naked & Smooth
Aftershave: Cold water rinse

No Irritation: 5
No Nicks & cuts: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

Score: 10/10

Quite a nice shave. Very close and no issues.

20210720_081634.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze SB .38
Blade: The Blade (Personna) Stainless Steel
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer .84P on RazoRock HD handle
Blade: US Personna Lab Blue, from 2013 or so (shaves 1 through 10+)
Brush: Omega Sintex synthetic
Soap: Palmolive shave stick
Rating: mostly 9.8 or 9.9; last two shaves were 9.5 and 9 due to big nicks at the end of the blade's life

My last ten or more shaves using the same setup. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes each shave. I am really enjoying the Palmolive stick as an Arko replacement.

The Lab Blue blade held up well, as expected. It still felt sharp at the end of its life, but nicked me severely during the last two shaves, so I guessed that I damaged the blade edges somehow and discarded the blade.

Razor: GEM 1912, chrome (nickel?) plated with the hexagonal(?) handle; circa 1928?
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (7)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic, medium size
Soap: Tabac
Rating: 10

Today's shave on two days of stubble. BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or irritation. It doesn't get any better than this. (Wasn't that last sentence an advertising slogan for some brand of beer in the 1970s?)

First use of a OneBlade razor- Wednesday morning shave- 9+/10, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation- DFS, pretty close and very comfortable shave, albeit different feeling:

Having an almost full box of FHS-5 blade tucks sitting in the cupboard now for many years, when I saw a OneBlade Hybrid on the BST last week for a fair price I didn't resist. The razor arrived yesterday afternoon; it was shipped very quickly and packaged well- thanks to member @gvw755. Not being rushed at all today, I decided to give it a go this morning. The blades date back to when I was playing around with Auto-Strop razors. The FHS-5 is the same blade as the FHS-10, but with 5 per tuck. The full box I have initially had 24 tucks, or 120 blades, and it's mostly full- more than enough blades for fooling with this razor.

My impressions- it's a different feeling shave for me than any other SE. The razor head is sprung and moves up and down like I think some cartridge razors do, and the blade floats a little in the head like the blade in an Occam's razor, which I really enjoy. This combination of movement resulted in a strange feel to the shave- not bad, just quite different. Perhaps, those used to modern cartridge razors might find the shave more familiar, but to me it was strange.

The final result though was surprisingly nice. I really didn't expect much; my recollection was that the FHS blades weren't terrific. After my usual two-passes, I did more clean up than usual, and needed to do some buffing. The razor did not nick or irritate, even when I pressed down well. I'm curious to see how the blade will hold up; I've read they don't persevere. More in the coming days.

Pre-shave: shower w/ WSP Lavender Tea Tree soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid- initial outing- see above
Blade: Feather FHS-5 (1)
Brush: Simpson Special Pure Badger- the very low-cost Simpson badger; it works
Soap: B&M Seville- for me the lather from this soap is always cushiony, slick and protective, so it makes a good choice for a new razor/blade tryout
Post-shave: cold rinse, then some dependable Lucky Tiger AS & Tonic, my face always likes this stuff

Be well all!
PXL_20210721_164711574.jpg

Blackbird,Willys(1),Stirling boat drinks,Simpsons Tulip1,Thayers.Prorasso aftershave,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green.First time using a Willys blade and probably the last.Paired with this razor gave me the most uncomfortable shave i've ever had.Cut myself within 30 seconds and going ATG just dragged.The Blackbird has dragged a bit with every blade i've tried ATG but this was something else.Nearly abandoned the shave a few times but carried on like the idiot i am.If this was the only set up i had i'd grow a beard. 2/10 Take care happy shaves everyone.View attachment 1299989
I think you just saved me some money on razors...

I think you just saved me some money on razors...
I wouldn't go on what i say a lot of people love the Blackbird i just had a really bad shave.Maybe it was the blade or the razor just doesn't work for me.It's the most efficient razor i own but for some reason it always seems to drag ATG.Really wanted to love it but i just don't.I'll see how it goes over the next few shaves but at the moment it could be the first ever razor i sell.

Today's shave

Preshave: From Slock’s mad scientist lab Slock’s universal, certified soon to be internationally famous proprietary shaving oil blend.
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: GSB

Soap: Stirling Coconut Lime
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger
Balm Stirling unscented balm
Aftershave: Fine American Blend

DFS

Razor: Merkur HD34C
Blade: Gillette Yellow SharpEdge (1)
Preshave: wash face with Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
Lather: Barbasol Soothing Aloe
Aftershave: cold water rinse well

No irritation
No nicks or cuts
DFS+ on closeness
Relatively smooth with room for improvement

Pretty good 3 pass shave with touch ups. The Barbasol Soothing Aloe is a little drying. I won’t buy anymore of that.

Happy shaving!!!

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Two pass shave: WTG, XTG/ATG​
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy E-4 #6​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5)​
Pre-Shave: None
Brush: Elite Razor Poplar w/ 24mm Plisson​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Unscented​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm​
10/10 DFS! BBS!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210721_144737~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (3)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange

Excellent shave! :cool:

Full shave notes here:

Top Bottom