What's new

Adjustables: A clash of shaving Titans….

I just put these up against each other just for kicks & giggles for this evenings shave. The Taiga with the open comb base plate squared up vs the Sailor ‘21. Each with a Feather blade installed and some face chillin’ Stirling Margaritas in The Arctic in both soap & splash. Oooooh a dandy, yes sir! The last shave was a few days back so I went and turned them up to 6+1 on their respective dials.

I had an amazing 3 pass shave with the tiniest amount of touch ups on the chin to seal the deal for a full BBS finish from top to bottom. The Taiga with the open comb is a razor that just leaves me speechless with its amazing smoothness and the uptick in blade feel. The Sailor just gets better every time I use and get more familiar with it. It feels more comfortable the more I put it in use and it’s simply glorious to look at and shave with. Without question, the two best adjustables that I’ve ever shaved with.

The winner? Me. Oh Yeah…..

View attachment 1299327
You are definitely the winner Gus. Beautiful sunset pic. Now I have to bring out MITA and NO Orbit out for my next Rocnel shave. Great comparison once again btwn RS21 and Taiga OC. I feel the same way about RS21, I’m getting a better feel each time.

You are definitely the winner Gus. Beautiful sunset pic. Now I have to bring out MITA and NO Orbit out for my next Rocnel shave. Great comparison once again btwn RS21 and Taiga OC. I feel the same way about RS21, I’m getting a better feel each time.

Thank you Marius. These two certainly are at the pinnacle of shave tools in craftsmanship and quality. Performance is just beyond anyone's expectations. They are premium razors and yes, the price for them is nothing to sneeze at but, I've been on a steady role in reducing my den down to just a handful of razors. 7 is the number for DE razors (wishful thinking, I know) and a couple more in the SE department.

Getting the Taiga ready for a little roadtrip it's about to embark on...... :ihih:

Happy shaves amigo.

Gus

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thank you Marius. These two certainly are at the pinnacle of shave tools in craftsmanship and quality. Performance is just beyond anyone's expectations. They are premium razors and yes, the price for them is nothing to sneeze at but, I've been on a steady role in reducing my den down to just a handful of razors. 7 is the number for DE razors (wishful thinking, I know) and a couple more in the SE department.

Getting the Taiga ready for a little roadtrip it's about to embark on...... :ihih:

Happy shaves amigo.

Gus
I knew the Sailor would prevail, Gus. Congrats on your downsizing.

I'd still take the FatBoy over any of these modern "wonders"... but that's just me.

Many happy shaves!

Totally get it. It's a "fine" shaver, the Fatboy. But, I always like to use an analogy when trying to portray or convey the "shave experience " to those that care in reading & living through another's experiences.

Take steak for example. I love a good steak just like most humans do and appreciate it when done to perfection. But, I've developed a taste for some of the finer cuts of beef in steak land. For example, Wagyu. Those fine marbled cuts of beef are exquisite in taste and to the eyes. Same with a local spot here in the greater New York area, Delmonico's with their amazing offerings in this prized choice beef. Once you've had a sampling, your hooked for life. And you find those in the finer steak house's across the country. To me that's what these two amazing razors represent. The finest representation of a shaving implement made in modern times. I like the Fatboy, Slim & the Black Beauty. Excellent works as well that have stood the test of time for 60+ years. Shaving marvels of their time and still are today. Using them is comparable to Longhorns and ordering one of their best cuts, Angus Prime Rib or Center Cut Filet Mignon. Still a good steak at a more economical price but, they aren't Wagyu or Delmonico's. And Longhorns is a fine eatery as I still visit on occasion.

So, that's what these two the Sailor '21 & Taiga SS represent for me against the finest from Gillette in an adjustable shave razor.

They are just a cut above. Not for everyone but, then again, the same can be said about Wagyu as well. I like the best beef and I like the best razors.

All subjective as always. I'm just expressing my experience and point of view.

All the Best,
Gus

Last edited:
Totally get it. It's a "fine" shaver, the Fatboy. But, I always like to use an analogy when trying to portray or convey the "shave experience " to those that care in reading & living through another's experiences.

Take steak for example. I love a good steak just like most humans do and appreciate it when done to perfection. But, I've developed a taste for some of the finer cuts of beef in steak land. For example, Wagyu. Those fine marbled cuts of beef are exquisite in taste and to the eyes. Same with a local spot here in the greater New York area, Delmonico's with their amazing offerings in this prized choice beef. Once you've had a sampling, your hooked for life. And you find those in the finer steak house's across the country. To me that's what these two amazing razors represent. The finest representation of a shaving implement made in modern times. I like the Fatboy, Slim & the Black Beauty. Excellent works as well that have stood the test of time for 60+ years. Shaving marvels of their time and still are today. Using them is comparable to Longhorns and ordering one of their best cuts, Angus Prime Rib or Center Cut Filet Mignon. Still a good steak at a more economical price but, they aren't Wagyu or Delmonico's. And Longhorns is a fine eatery as I still visit on occasion.

So, that's what these two the Sailor '21 & Taiga SS represent for me against the finest from Gillette in an adjustable shave razor.

They are just a cut above. Not for everyone but, then again, the same can be said about Wagyu as well. I like the best beef and I like the bst razors.

All subjective as always. I'm just expressing my experience and point of view.

All the Best,
Gus
Perhaps I should've said I'm highly biased and not objective at all, as the FatBoy that I am currently using is actually the FatBoy I thought lost for almost 30 years. It's not just a FatBoy, it's THE FatBoy... the one I was given when I first started to shave, back in my teens. So it's sentimental, not scientific. That being said, my FatBoy shaves phenomenally. I'm so happy with it that I have actually put my precious Blacklnad Vector away (at least for the time being). Perhaps, ti's just hype on my end, but those guys at Gillette knew smth. back in their heyday, that's for sure.

You might wanna read my story here: Biggest POSITIVE surprise (product wise)… 🤔 | Page 5 | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

BTW - those two razors are true work of art and your review is excellent. Quick q. - how these two stack against the Rex Ambassador? Asking, as I was considering getting one myself.

Perhaps I should've said I'm highly biased and not objective at all, as the FatBoy that I am currently using is actually the FatBoy I thought lost for almost 30 years. It's not just a FatBoy, it's THE FatBoy... the one I was given when I first started to shave, back in my teens. So it's sentimental, not scientific. That being said, my FatBoy shaves phenomenally. I'm so happy with it that I have actually put my precious Blacklnad Vector away (at least for the time being). Perhaps, ti's just hype on my end, but those guys at Gillette knew smth. back in their heyday, that's for sure.

You might wanna read my story here: Biggest POSITIVE surprise (product wise)… 🤔 | Page 5 | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

BTW - those two razors are true work of art and your review is excellent. Quick q. - how these two stack against the Rex Ambassador? Asking, as I was considering getting one myself.

Will do once I'm home and settled in with a 3 finger pour of Four Roses Bourbon. Looking forward to the read.......

Gus

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have been to fancy high end steak house's and to the not so fancy steak house's and I can say my favorite part of the meal is always ........ Ready for this ...
.....the baked potato 🥔🥰
Just has always been that way for me
Of course I have had not so good baked potatoes that just ruined the whole experience.
Anyway. Back to razor talk , my favorite adjustable that I have is my 1958 D-1 Toggle ( used by Cary Grant ) so I was told by the guy I purchased it from ) 😜
I have used the Russian Bear in a comparison shave against the Toggle which I really love and that same razor that Gus used was amazing, the bear was outstanding.

Interesting design principles as well - the Taiga (and as far as I can tell the Rocnel) actually has some independent vertical movement of the baseplate, sort of a "shock absorber" effect for the safety bars, on any setting besides a locked in "1." This appears to be regulated by the spring - the less tension (higher settings) on the spring, the softer the effect. You can demonstrate this by squeezing the top cap and baseplate together and notice the spring action. Not the blade - that's clamped solid between the top cap and the plate directly beneath the blade. But whether by design intent (as I assume) or a happy accident, this imparts a "soft" feel to the shave, and the blade seems to glide over any irregularities of your face, and reduces blade feel to almost none.

The Muramasa, OTOH, clamps blade and baseplate in an iron fist - nothing moves on this razor, on any setting (with the very minor exception of lateral movement of the safety bars independently, fractions of a millimeter). Not better or worse than the Taiga, just different, and I actually prefer the feel of the Taiga (the lower weight of the titanium could also be a contributor). The Muramasa is a precision surgical instrument, with a mild range of settings in my opinion specifically because of its immutable design. The Taiga is a nimble jeweler's tool, intricate in design and function, for the most organically comfortable removal of facial hair even with a large blade gap, with the lightest touch. I like them both, and eagerly await the Rocnel to compare.

Speaking of the taiga, would anyone know when the stainless steel taiga come back into stock again? Thanks in advance for the info.

There's no comparison in my opinion. The Taiga and Sailor is in a different class. Both smoother and more efficient than the Rex. The only thing the Rex may Excell more in is the grip of the handle, and depending on the eye of the beholder (subjective), it is still a great looking razor.

Sorry my friend, I did not pick up on your question concerning the Rex and how it compares to these two razors. I think @faroll2 pretty much nailed it. There is nothing absolutely wrong with the Rex in terms of the shave and the build quality. Also, the tactile grip that it delivers to me, pound for pound is the best by far. No one else is even on the same planet when it comes to its grip factor. Sincerely though, it’s simply outclassed by these two Juggernauts. I love my Rex and it will never leave my shave den. Plus, the added benefit of it being made here in the USA is another reason why I cherish it. It feels great in the hands, balances extraordinarily well and for me it transitions easily when one is maneuvering the razor over ones face or transferring from one hand to the other (I use both hands for shaving) during the shave ritual.

In fire arms terms, think of the Rex as the Legendary Ma Deuce/M2 .50 Cal. Machine Gun. It puts bad dudes down quickly and ferociously. Now, take the Taiga & Sailor ‘21 and they are more like the BMG 50/GAU - 19/B, a 3 barrel modern day Gatling gun. Game over for the bad dudes before it even begins……

Thanks but I wa referring rather to their website Inquiry option. Clicking on it opens a window or box that is in Russian.

If you’re referring to the online chat option on their website, you’re right, the window that opens starts with some Russian messages, but the guy at the other end (seems to be the same Sergei who usually answers emails for them) speaks and will respond in English.
I have used the online chat function a couple of times, and both times had conversations in English with him.

Top Bottom