What's new

Help me choose my next balm?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I got into aftershave balms relatively recently. I am still doing exploration!

I have and like: B&M, Wholly Kaw, Zingari Man, and Hawkins and Brimble. I am a bit put off by the alcohol in the latter, but I can't fault the performance.

I would like to try:

Captain Fawcett's
Mane Tame
Weleda
Alvarez Gomez
Kiehl's Facial Fuel
Cella Bio
La Toja
Speick
Lather & Wood
Brickell
Marlowe

But I really don't want to buy them all. If what I have is better than these, I will skip them.

So, does anyone feel that some of these are worth a try?

I have and like: B&M, Wholly Kaw, Zingari Man, and Hawkins and Brimble. I am a bit put off by the alcohol in the latter, but I can't fault the performance.

I would like to try:

Captain Fawcett's
Mane Tame
Weleda
Alvarez Gomez
Kiehl's Facial Fuel
Cella Bio
La Toja
Speick
Lather & Wood
Brickell
Marlowe

But I really don't want to buy them all. If what I have is better than these, I will skip them.

I would like to try:

Captain Fawcett's
Mane Tame
Weleda
Alvarez Gomez
Kiehl's Facial Fuel
Cella Bio
La Toja
Speick
Lather & Wood
Brickell
Marlowe

[/QUOTE
Sorry I don’t use any of the balms on your list but do also Zingari balms because of scent and consistency.
I really like Boellis Panama 1924 balm. It has a great scent (IMHO) and consistency of a salve but non greasy . It’s not the least bit watery and a little goes a long way. It’s a bit pricey though relative to other products. The Boellis balm doesn’t have an almond scent like the soap does. It’s more of a cologne scent.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The Boellis Panama balm is a great recommendation. Is that similar to RR MF? I believe the latter is its duplicate...

The only one on your list that I have tried is Kiehl's Facial Fuel. For, me it's just OK.

My current favorites are L'Occitane ASB and PAA's Mysterium Serum.

I have Weleda and Speick. Speick was a rebuy, so I’m a fan. Weleda is fairly thin, but moisturizing. Both have a medicinal scent, Weleda more so. Both have alcohol in the ingredients.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The only one on your list that I have tried is Kiehl's Facial Fuel. For, me it's just OK.

My current favorites are L'Occitane ASB and PAA's Mysterium Serum.

Thanks very much! I may have to try the PAA.

I honestly don’t know if RR MF is Boellis dupe never having used it but I love the Boellis real deal.

Add another to the list. Thanks!

I have Weleda and Speick. Speick was a rebuy, so I’m a fan. Weleda is fairly thin, but moisturizing. Both have a medicinal scent, Weleda more so. Both have alcohol in the ingredients.

Yes, I saw that. But alcohol acts differently in balms, at least according to my experience with Hawkins and Brimble. Very, very nice.

To confirm, you would rate Speick higher than Weleda?
I have bad experience with several ***, but Weleda is good. Currently using Australian Bodycare After Shave.
Could you describe Australian bodycare? What is it comparable to?

To confirm, you would rate Speick higher than Weleda?

I think so, but I haven't compared them head to head. I just got my new tube of Speick. I prefer the scent of Speick and it worked fine previously which is why I bought it again (I've never done that before).

As a bit of an outside choice, Rockwell balm is probably the best I've used, overall, definitely top three. I think the scent may be polarizing....it's kind of everything and the kitchen sink.

Could you describe Australian bodycare? What is it comparable to?

Compares to nothing I have previously used. You can definitely smell the tea tree oil. It gets absorbed into the skin around 5-15 minutes after application, depending on the quantity. The color is pale white. Any post-shave itching disappears within 5 minutes after application

I would like to try:

Captain Fawcett's
Mane Tame
Weleda
Alvarez Gomez
Kiehl's Facial Fuel
Cella Bio
La Toja
Speick
Lather & Wood
Brickell
Marlowe

I'm a "splash guy" myself and very rarely use balms.

Instead, I sometimes use a moisturizing cream on top of any given splash.

If and when I reach out for a balm, it's the plain, run of the mill Nivea Sensitive, that my 16 year old son keeps in his "den".

Other than that I have (had) at some point used Proraso, Gillette and Stirling. All were excellent.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Speick is very good, but I agree it's a bit 'heavy'. Great if your skin is on the dryer side.

Boellis is incredible, but the scent, while lovely, isn't for me (I'm not a big tobacco scent fan).

I would wholeheartedly recommend CRSW balm but sadly they've been out of stock for some time siting ingredient(s) shortage. CRSW is my favorite (by far) out of all the balms I've tried.

Last edited:
Top Bottom