What's new

SE Blade Advice Request

None. The blades are thicker so there is no real comparison. Of course you can get a Twig or a Razorock Eco and use half an Astra.
OK, let me try again…What is the mildest SE razor blade…”mildest” defined as least likely to cut you while shaving.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well the SE edge safety razor was based on the straight razor design before the DE blade even existed. There are advantages with a SE to the DE in longevity possibly if used properly on a regular basis. I use both SE & DE razors and both systems are excellent, but unless you belong to the (Excalibur group :001_wub: high # of shaves/blade) a SE blade will last longer under normal use IMO. Using 2 of the oldest blade Manufactures Personna & Gillette a Gem Personna SS PTFE SE I can get 10>shaves with a Gillette Astra DE 5-7 decent shaves with my beard type.
This more than likely why!
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

You should try the Schick Prolines. They are my favorite.
This or maybe try a few different Feather Artist Club blades.

The Professional is good but the ProGuard is milder and the Soft Guard is milder still. Don’t start with the Super Pro as it is more aggressive.

Whiterook is correct though, totally different than DE blades.

Grab a couple of each from tryablade or razorbladesclub. 👍

OK, let me try again…What is the mildest SE razor blade…”mildest” defined as least likely to cut you while shaving.
IMO, mildest of all of the AC blades would be Feather Artist Club Prolights (Light blue). SoftGuards (pink/red) are pretty mild and do remind me of a DE shave the most.

The Professional is good but the ProGuard is milder and the Soft Guard is milder still. Don’t start with the Super Pro as it is more aggressive.

Great idea…thanks!

Just looked at razorbladesclub. They have Derby Premium SE blades! I LOVE that DE blade! (I'm assuming the SE is similar to the DE!)

With a name like SoftGuard it sounds pretty safe!☺
It is. Too mild for most.

Apparently the KAI Protouch (guarded) blades are very mild but I haven’t tried thme.

I am pretty new to SE shaving, but blades are easy to figure out. The only real mainstream brands are Schick, KAI and Feather and only Feather has more than 1-2 different blades. I think they have 5 different types currently.

It is. Too mild for most.

Apparently the KAI Protouch (guarded) blades are very mild but I haven’t tried thme.

I am pretty new to SE shaving, but blades are easy to figure out. The only real mainstream brands are Schick, KAI and Feather and only Feather has more than 1-2 different blades. I think they have 5 different types currently.
Good to know. Thanks!

Just looked at razorbladesclub. They have Derby Premium SE blades! I LOVE that DE blade! (I'm assuming the SE is similar to the DE!)
Those are a DE cut in half. Depends on which SE razor you buy. It won’t work in the Hawk, Vector and similar AC razors but will work in the Twig, Eco, etc.

Last edited:
You can try the KAI Protouch if you get an AC razor, but some people love them, some consider them training wheels and some can't stand the feel of the little guard fingers. Remember, in a safety razor, the bar is your guard so the the guard on the blades just keeps you from getting too close. The KAI mild are the same blade without the guard. I can't get the guarded blades to pick up hairs that grow flat in a safety razor. Many AC razors aren't compatible with the Feathers that aren't Pro something, so you could try a Pro guard. One problem with AC is you really need to buy a dispenser, 15 or 20 to try them. You are looking at 20 for each one you want to try.

If you go half DE, don't waste your money on more blades. You just snap the blade while it's still in the wrapper. At least until you figure out what works for you. There are only about half a dozen half DE blades available. If you get the Twig, you might want to try the Permasharp to see if they work for you. They are very sharp and available in half DE.

You can try the KAI Protouch if you get an AC razor, but some people love them, some consider them training wheels and some can't stand the feel of the little guard fingers. Remember, in a safety razor, the bar is your guard so the the guard on the blades just keeps you from getting too close. The KAI mild are the same blade without the guard. I can't get the guarded blades to pick up hairs that grow flat in a safety razor. Many AC razors aren't compatible with the Feathers that aren't Pro something, so you could try a Pro guard. One problem with AC is you really need to buy a dispenser, 15 or 20 to try them. You are looking at 20 for each one you want to try.

If you go half DE, don't waste your money on more blades. You just snap the blade while it's still in the wrapper. At least until you figure out what works for you. There are only about half a dozen half DE blades available. If you get the Twig, you might want to try the Permasharp to see if they work for you. They are very sharp and available in half DE.
Thanks for the info!

So...for an AC razor like the Vector, what blade(s) would you recommend?
Or perhaps I'll just get a sample of all 9 AC blades on razorbladesclub.com (6 Feather, 3 Kai). For $15, why not? ;)
Here's my cart:

PRODUCT
PRICEQUANTITYTOTAL
Feather FHS-10 Hi-Stainless Blades Feather FHS-10-Hi-Stainless
blades: 1
$0.99

$0.99
Feather Professional Blades Feather Professional Blades
$1.00

$1.00
Feather Professional Super Blades Feather Professional Super
$1.30

$1.30
Feather Pro Light Blades Feather Professional Light Blade
$1.30

$1.30
Feather Soft Guard Feather Soft Guard
$1.50

$1.50
Feather Pro Guard Razor Blades Feather Pro Guard
$1.40

$1.40
Lamette KAI Captain KAI - CAPTAIN ORIGINAL
$1.25

$1.25
KAI Captain Pro Touch MG Razor Blades KAI - CAPTAIN TITAN PRO TOUCH MG
$1.60

$1.60
KAI Captain Titan Mild Razor Blades KAI - CAPTAIN TITAN MILD
$1.45

$1.45

Last edited:
tryablabe.com has a 10-pack AC sampler for $15...and they include the Schick Proline, so maybe I'll get that!
Done...$18.94 shipped!

I use the schick proline and Kai protouch in my occam oren and Yaqi Excalibur still have to try feathers

but in general I prefer the shave of my de or a half de

the protouch is a nice blade for that I am in a hurry nervous and need a decent shave and make sure I do not have bloodshed.

the proline shaves smoother

A lot of people like the Excalibur but with a protouch it is handy for certain long hair regions would prefer a

half de
Not going to recommend Yaqi katana it is mwah until you add a shim on top. Relative agressive not my thing but so far not impressed with most yaqi

love my broman pivot head

focus dynamics pivot head are nice after getting used to.

leaf twig is still on my list. I like more head heavy so I hesitate on this one. But pretty sure it is going to be a nice end of year gift together with a zenith horse hair

bottom line an ac se, Gem se, feather fhs se, injector all have thicker blades and shave different compared to a (hal

Last edited:
Top Bottom