What's new

Let’s Talk Mustard!!!

Hey all,

I am a pretty traditional guy when it comes to mustard. I really like the standard yellow stuff from French’s or similar. It tastes great and goes with everything.

What mustards are you using these days?

I am thinking about pairings with hot dogs, hamburgers, corned beef on rye, etc.

Any interesting recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Oooooo! We love mustard. For all around wonderfulness in vinaigrettes and on sandwiches, Fallot Dijon, closely trailed by Maille. For special simple sandwiches like European ham or salami on buttered baguettes, Meaux. For the sandwich that needs more bite, Mr. Mustard. For deli sandwiches, a spicy brown. Gulden's is good, but HEB spicy brown's garlic nudges into first place. For that perfect Cubano, Whataburger yaller or Plochman's. Never met a mustard I didn't like. And then there is mustard pickle/piccalilli!

I love Gulden’s Stone Ground Mustard on my meat sandwiches, but I also like Dijon mustard from time to time.

On egg rolls, it has to be Chinese Hot Mustard. The kind that melts all of your nose hairs.

For corned beef, just ground horseradish, no mustard.

For ballpark franks French’s Mustard is still the best.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
What a fun post!

I love mustard, and my all time favorite is Trader Joe’s Dijon Mustard. It is sourced from Dijon, France, packed with flavor, and runs just under $3 a jar. It is to mustard what the eight-cent Astra Superior Stainless blade is to shaving… a ridiculously insane value.

2B84EA24-D28B-432B-A99A-3D6E5F231F46.jpeg

I haven’t looked back since trying Kozlik’s mustard. Our house favourite is Green Peppercorn, but there are many other great ones. I’m also fond of Black Harp, Bordeaux, Triple Crunch, German. Some others are too sweet for my taste, but a chacun son gout.
Ahhhh…. I forgot about Kozlik’s. I am ashamed to be a Torontonian and a Canadian! 🤪

They make good stuff. The Triple Crunch is excellent.

Maille Dijon always available, even here. Coleman's mustard powder for seasoning. I found Sainsbury's brand wholegrain here recently, good for ham sandwiches.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Look up Raye’s mustard in Eastport Maine. Pretty much anything they make is outstanding. They’re the last traditional stone ground mustard mill in N. America. The stones they use were set around 1900.

I also enjoy classic French’s on hotdogs and fried bologna sandwiches.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Look up Raye’s mustard in Eastport Maine. Pretty much anything they make is outstanding. They’re the last traditional stone ground mustard mill in N. America. The stones they use were set around 1900.

I also enjoy classic French’s on hotdogs and fried bologna sandwiches.

Googling now!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mrs. Hippie likes some funky German dijon-style stuff. Kuhne, the "Extra Fort" variety. Not quite my jam. Or my mustard...

I like a good seedy make. Mostly I'll browse around a couple of stores when I need mustard and fondl...I mean, inspect all the jars. We also use a lot of Keen's dry. Nothing like having your sinuses on fire when eating Asian food!

And y'know? Good old "yaller" mustard has a place in the kitchen as well.

I like to mix in some freshly dug/ground horseradish in a good seedy mustard -- that and some cranberry sauce and cream cheese makes a turkey sandwich that satisfies.

O.H.

I love mustard, except for plain yellow mustard like French's. I am particularly fond of stone ground brown mustard with or without horseradish.

If you are a mustard connoisseur, you owe it to yourself to visit The National Mustard Museum in Middleton, WI just west of Madison. There is a museum which contains over 5000 mustards from around the world, both modern and vintage.

There is also a store that sells over 500 different mustards from every mustard-loving country in the world. You can purchase all the mustards that you can find in a well-stocked grocery store plus mustards that are normally only found locally in the country of origin. It is a mustard lover's dream.

For further information, see:

I live only a couple of hours away, but due to the pandemic, it is been a few years since I have visited the museum and stocked up on unusual types of mustard. That might be a great trip to plan for late summer or early fall.

Top Bottom