What's new

Williams Mug Shaving Soap

I used my Williams Mug soap today (Williams Wednesday) and finally got a really nice lather that didn't disappear during my shave. I believe I was using too much water before so I tried using less today and it worked much better. My lather was nice and thick, slick, and protective compared to the last few times I tried using it.

I read a bunch of threads on this soap before using it the first time. Lots of folks said soak the puck before using and use lots of water to get a good lather. Well, I did just that the first few times using the soap.....soaked my puck and brush while showering to get it nice and damp. Dumped water out, shook my brush and started making lather. Lather looked okay, but during my shaves it would start dissipating....weird. Today, I didn't soak the puck before using it. I soaked my brush, shook it off, and loaded from a dry puck. Lather was much better today....thicker and stable. It didn't disappear and stayed together like normal. Had a great shave.

I'll keep using it as I think I finally figured out how to lather it well.....we'll see. It is a bargain and worth trying if you haven't. It hasn't been around forever for nothing.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
These threads crack me up. When I joined here, I said I was using Williams and lathering it in a mug on top of the soap after soaking it. Had used it for about ten years. All I got were horrified gasps and was admonished to try something better, lol. Now I haven't used it in ten years. I'm happy with my Cella, Proraso Green, and a Taylor cream or two usually on my shelf, but I'll have to try this again, it's been at least 12 years. Funny, I kept saying if you lather it in a mug on top of the soap after soaking it, it's great stuff, and everyone laughed. Now I think that's the preferred method and it's gotten some respect. The wheel turns!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
These threads crack me up. When I joined here, I said I was using Williams and lathering it in a mug on top of the soap after soaking it. Had used it for about ten years. All I got were horrified gasps and was admonished to try something better, lol. Now I haven't used it in ten years. I'm happy with my Cella, Proraso Green, and a Taylor cream or two usually on my shelf, but I'll have to try this again, it's been at least 12 years. Funny, I kept saying if you lather it in a mug on top of the soap after soaking it, it's great stuff, and everyone laughed. Now I think that's the preferred method and it's gotten some respect. The wheel turns!

What is old is new again!

I got a puck of WMS way back when I started DE shaving along with a Speick stick, Valobra stick and a jar of Omega soft soap. I finished the Williams since I had it, but I haven't bought any more. Wishing I had bought more of the Valobra since that seems to be gone forever now.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have also compared Williams Mug Soap to Arko Stick (shaved & bowl pressed) And find Arko is a much better lathering soap than Williams, Using on the puck lathering method with both soaps, Arko is allot easier and faster to build a long lasting lather, just as slick as Williams. Both have the citrus soap scent only Arko scent is stronger. Pricing per Dozen: Williams: $18.21, $1.52 for ea. 1.75 oz. puck, Arko Stick: $14.82 , $1.24 for ea. 2.6 oz. stick.
MPO, Other than discontinued Old Spice shave soap, the old Williams was once my go to soap, but now days I think I'll retire Williams to Memory Lane , along with some other great soaps like Palmolive and Old Spice.
I did the same comparison and had the same results as you. Arko wins in both price and performance.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I also don't understand how the like/disklile for this soap can be so polarizing. I decided to break out of my vegan shell to experiment with a new soap. I chose Williams. First shave with it and I think it's very easy to make great lather. Probably the second easiest soap to lather I've used so far, second to MdC. I'm amazed at the performance, IMO, same ballpark as MdC. I like the scent too, so that's a bonus.

I also don't understand how the like/disklile for this soap can be so polarizing. I decided to break out of my vegan shell to experiment with a new soap. I chose Williams. First shave with it and I think it's very easy to make great lather. Probably the second easiest soap to lather I've used so far, second to MdC. I'm amazed at the performance, IMO, same ballpark as MdC. I like the scent too, so that's a bonus.
A lot of people do have issues with getting a good lather from it.

So I think your technique just happens to match this particular soap.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom