What's new

A germaphobe's plan to sanitize and yet not wreck my first vintage razor

There is so much information out there about how to sanitize a vintage razor. I watched the Razor Emporium's guy's '10 ways to wreck a razor.' But he said just use a little detergent to sanitize a razor (that may be true but it doesn't fly for a germaphobe). In general, just about anything anybody says about sanitizing a vintage razor, I can find somebody who says the opposite. (Eg. 'Soak your vintage razor in alcohol.' 'Don't soak your vintage razor in alcohol.') So here's the plan. If you would, please correct or tweak it to improve it.

If the razor is really gross, clean it with warm water and Platinum Dawn and a toothbrush to start.

After that, proceed with the instructions when the razor is only moderately gross (or not gross at all) which are:

1) Use Antibacterial Dawn, warm water and a toothbrush to clean it.
2) When done, dip (not soak) the razor in 70% rubbing alcohol and let dry.
3) Soak the razor in the correct ratio of Barbicide to water for exactly ten minutes.
4) Sigh with relief that it's all over. (#4 is optional)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true. There is a thread here somewhere about cleaning gold aristocrats with easy-off. I’ve never tried it so I can’t vouch for its validity but it could be worth a read.

Edit:
What kind of razor? When I was playing with vintage Gillette Techs Scrubbing Bubbles was the go to cleaner. It depends on the material and the finish.

Last edited:
proxy.php

Barbicide is for cleaning plastic combs, not metal razors. It could strip the plating off your razor, then you'll need to send it away to be replated. Dawn dish soap is enough to get rid of any germs. If it's good enough for your eating utensils, then it's good enough for your razors.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

instead of barbicide, just use a topical antiseptic or antibiotic (though at this point, its superflous). After alcohol, its unlikely anything would survive anyway. I personally wouldn't ever buy a pre-owned personal hygiene product as I'd never be satisfied with its cleanliness. Stupid but I just won't do it.

Very true. There is a thread here somewhere about cleaning gold aristocrats with easy-off. I’ve never tried it so I can’t vouch for its validity but it could be worth a read.

Edit:
Thanks. It's a Gillette Super Speed Flare Z3.

Barbicide is for cleaning plastic combs, not metal razors. It could strip the plating off your razor, then you'll need to send it away to be replated. Dawn dish soap is enough to get rid of any germs. If it's good enough for your eating utensils, then it's good enough for your razors.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
Thanks. The only thing about that is your eating utensils don't break the skin (usually lol) and possible have dried blood on them. But yeah, agree about Barbicide. Somebody said they'd never seen a razor in the Barbicide jar at the barbers. I haven't either.

If I were you I would forget vintage and buy a new razor, one that is sealed in plastic packaging, and wear surgical gloves to open it. I suspect you will never be satisfied with the cleanliness of any vintage razor. Good luck 👍
Yeah, you know, I hear you, but I'm trying to get over it. (I'd like to enjoy some of these vintage razors you guys are all raving about.)

instead of barbicide, just use a topical antiseptic or antibiotic (though at this point, its superflous). After alcohol, its unlikely anything would survive anyway. I personally wouldn't ever buy a pre-owned personal hygiene product as I'd never be satisfied with its cleanliness. Stupid but I just won't do it.
I personally wouldn't ever buy a pre-owned personal hygiene product as I'd never be satisfied with its cleanliness.
^ Yep, that's where I've been. Nothing wrong with it. Everybody's different. I'm trying to break some new ground.

Top Bottom