What's new

Lupo stainless?

After a few more uses, I am revising what I wrote before. For me, the Lupo 72 gives a little closer shave than the GC 84 SB.

Efficiency: Lupo 95 > Lupo 72 > GC 84

Comfort: GC 84 > Lupo 95 > Lupo 72

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gotta be STEEP. And remember, I'm a lifelong member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

The reason there's a guard on a safety razor... is because it's a safety razor. Therefore, the guard (safety bar or open comb) should be placed on the skin first to smooth/stretch it in front of the blade. At this point the handle will probably be touching the face. The operator then gently raises the handle till the blade makes contact – BINGO, shave (no [or minimal] pressure).

King Gillette knew a bit about shaving. Here's his instructions (see the 2nd way):
View attachment 1294214
So many (relatively recent) instructions say place the cap on the face and lower the handle till the blade makes contact. THIS IS WRONG (IMO). Doing this bunches the skin up in front of the blade. It's an ideal system for lopping off any skin irregularities (like old scars, moles, spots, etc). Do you wonder why so many people complain of skin irritation? I don't.

Also, bear in mind that in most razors (including the Lupo) the difference between steep and shallow is only a few measly degrees (with notable exceptions, e.g. the iKon Tek).

NOTE:
I'm one of those "unlucky" people with whiskers that grow out nearly parallel to my skin. Due to that "problem" some steep anglers go "shallow" when they shave ATG. IMO going shallow is never the answer; I simply go a-little-less steep.

Yes, but bear in mind that my handle may be a little closer or further from my face due to the particular razor's head geometry.

Thanks, Cal. Very good answer.

I haven't always been a steep angle shaver, but I have for years now, and am not planning to change. I'm willing to ride the cap occasionally when buffing my soul patch if it seems more effective with the kit.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: Cal
Gonna do a Lupo shave-off tomorrow morning. Lupo 72 on the left, Lupo 95 on the right. Lupo 72 has a Tibam titanium Bobcat handle, 90x12mm, I think it's 36 grams. The 95 has the Razorock titanium Halo handle. Going to use a fresh Derby blade in each, and What the Puck Orange.
20210709_171035.jpg

SOTD: Lupo 95 SS, Astra SS (2nd use), Cella Bio shave cream. After some detour I used the Lupo again, it impresses every time I come back to it. Just a perfect shave. Super smooth and close. I could have stopped after the 1st pass with an acceptable result, but did my usual 2+ passes. During the shave I was thinking about selling my other razors and stocking up Astras.

Lupo Shave-Off post shave review:
The 95 seemed like a slightly smoother shave.
Both sides of my face have that rubbery feel, aftershave burn with Florida Water was very minimal and only lasted a few seconds. Perhaps the 72 side was a tad less, but it was hard to tell.
I'll post again later today when stubble starts to return.
Initial results is that one Lupo isn't clearly superior to the other, as of now it's pretty much a tie. Tomorrow I'll switch sides for the razors, and even swap handles.

About 11 hours after my shave, the 72 side has less stubble than the 95 side. Going to switch sides tomorrow, to see if the results are the same.

Overall, the shaves were pretty close in comparison, so I can't say one is better than the other. Both are top notch razors to me.

Another Lupo shave-off in the books. 95 on the left, 72 on the right for today. Both sides felt equally smooth the me during the shave. Couldn't tell any difference on either side when I splashed with Florida Water. Both sides feel rubbery smooth to me. Let's see what I find after 11 hours.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another Lupo shave-off in the books. 95 on the left, 72 on the right for today. Both sides felt equally smooth the me during the shave. Couldn't tell any difference on either side when I splashed with Florida Water. Both sides feel rubbery smooth to me. Let's see what I find after 11 hours.

Do they feel equally comfortable and/or enjoyable to shave with?

I have both, but haven't used the 72 yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

They feel very similar to me. Almost as if they are duplicate razors. Perhaps a tinge more blade feel on the 95, but then again, if I have to wonder if there's more blade feel, maybe there is not?
The next test I could maybe do is a blind shave-off, with the razors prepped by my wife beforehand. Again, if I have to resort to a blind test, how different can the two versions really be?

Did some testing the last month or so with my 3 Lupos: Original Aluminium, SS DLC and SS 95.

In my book the SS DLC is by far the superior of the three. Very smooth and as efficient as the .95 - but much better looking. Only negative is the rounded edges which makes putting the razor down a bit of a hassle. However they did such a bad job with the end tabs of the polished SS Lupo from an aesthetic POV, that I still prefer the old design.

All of the three ultimately fall short to the Gamechanger .84 however. YMMV as always.
Why not just put the razor down on its long axis? Meaning, place it down on the safety bar? The blade won't touch anything. It should lay perfectly flat. Problem solved.

Gotta be STEEP. And remember, I'm a lifelong member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

The reason there's a guard on a safety razor... is because it's a safety razor. Therefore, the guard (safety bar or open comb) should be placed on the skin first to smooth/stretch it in front of the blade. At this point the handle will probably be touching the face. The operator then gently raises the handle till the blade makes contact – BINGO, shave (no [or minimal] pressure).

King Gillette knew a bit about shaving. Here's his instructions (see the 2nd way):
View attachment 1294214
So many (relatively recent) instructions say place the cap on the face and lower the handle till the blade makes contact. THIS IS WRONG (IMO). Doing this bunches the skin up in front of the blade. It's an ideal system for lopping off any skin irregularities (like old scars, moles, spots, etc). Do you wonder why so many people complain of skin irritation? I don't.

Also, bear in mind that in most razors (including the Lupo) the difference between steep and shallow is only a few measly degrees (with notable exceptions, e.g. the iKon Tek).

NOTE:
I'm one of those "unlucky" people with whiskers that grow out nearly parallel to my skin. Due to that "problem" some steep anglers go "shallow" when they shave ATG. IMO going shallow is never the answer; I simply go a-little-less steep.

Yes, but bear in mind that my handle may be a little closer or further from my face due to the particular razor's head geometry.
Couldn't disagree more.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
7-11-21.LupoDC.CH2-SB.Timeless-EthereaSS.640JPG.JPG

Took the Lupo DC for a test ride today.

I'd really like to see some unbiased head to head comparisons between the SS Lupo and whatever Wolfman razor inspired it.

I say inspired because RazoRock says they improved upon the Wolfman. They also admit to copying it.

1626026122082.png

I don't have a Wolfman (although I have a WR2 in transit). I believe this is copy of the WR1 (correct me if I'm wrong). How close a copy is beyond me, but it sounds like it's probably much the same in most ways (correct me if I'm wrong).

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1295213

Took the Lupo DC for a test ride today.

I'd really like to see some unbiased head to head comparisons between the SS Lupo and whatever Wolfman razor inspired it.

I say inspired because RazoRock says they improved upon the Wolfman. They also admit to copying it.

View attachment 1295218

I don't have a Wolfman (although I have a WR2 in transit). I believe this is copy of the WR1 (correct me if I'm wrong). How close a copy is beyond me, but it sounds like it's probably much the same in most ways (correct me if I'm wrong).

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

My face, beard, skin, etc.: My preference is for the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB over the Lupo .95 in all parameters except one - the Lupo .95 SB is much less expensive.

As always, YMMV. :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My face, beard, skin, etc.: My preference is for the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB over the Lupo .95 in all parameters except one - the Lupo .95 SB is much less expensive.

As always, YMMV. :cool:

I've read at least one comparison of the Lupo to at least one Wolfman WR1 which at least slightly favored the WR1.

Here's a post comparing the WR2 1.25 to the Gillette Old Type and to the Lupo 95 with the edge going to the Lupo.

I've got no opinion on the matter (and no experience to back an opinion), and appreciate your head to head, Dave. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

View attachment 1294214

NOTE:

That explains so much. "Riding the cap" is what I have read and honestly it works ok with a mild razor like my Timeless .68 SB but every time that I have tried vintage Gillette razors it ended badly. I struggled even with my Gillette post war Tech which everyone claims is mild but it gave me major irritation. I did try going steep one time with that razor and it was better. I think this post needs to be made a sticky in the Newbie FAQ section.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That explains so much. "Riding the cap" is what I have read and honestly it works ok with a mild razor like my Timeless .68 SB but every time that I have tried vintage Gillette razors it ended badly. I struggled even with my Gillette post war Tech which everyone claims is mild but it gave me major irritation. I did try going steep one time with that razor and it was better. I think this post needs to be made a sticky in the Newbie FAQ section.

Check out the Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA) thread in the Clubs and Brotherhoods room. :cool:

Top Bottom