What's new

Lupo stainless?

There’s always a different opinion.
If I were to compare Lupo 95 vs
Timeless 0.95 SC :
Timeless is a bulky and heavy chunk of stainless steel .
In no way can come close to the
agility and precision the Lupo offers,having super slim head and blade-edge-length guards.
Let alone the overall balance and weight.

The efficiency is more or less equal on both razors.
Maybe the Lupo is a tad more efficient.
Both are very smooth razors.
Maybe the Timeless a tad more so,than the Lupo.
Both offer high blade rigidity also.

Their main difference
shaving-wise
(at least what I ‘ve experienced )
between the two is the different blade angle and blade curvature.
Lupo is a rather shallow angle razor,while the Timeless is rather steep angle razor.

I prefer the Lupo over the Timeless .
For it’s high agility,
precision and manoeuvrability and for I find Lupo aesthetically more pleasing with it’s slim design ,than the chunky-bulky Timeless.

One more point for the Lupo comes from the material:
304 (aka food grade 18/10) it’s nice ,but the marine grade 316L is even better.

One more final point ‘cause it fully covers the blade tabs.
Feels really relaxing to shave
with a double edge razor and not a quad edge one.

Just my /another opinion ...
I'm blaming you for the fact that I just hit the "send me an email when this is back in stock with the barberpole handle".
Well, five months later RR got my favorite handle back (today) and I immediately put it in the cart and checked out. This will be my last razor purchase :thumbsup::out:

Well, five months later RR got my favorite handle back (today) and I immediately put it in the cart and checked out.
RazoRock do very nice handles, but for me they're all way too heavy.

Thinking of other "hand tools" like (say) chisels and hammers... imagine how accurate your work would be if their handles weighed 2½ times that of the head. :001_rolle

I'm a Lightweight Handle Fanboy because I like maneuverability, accuracy, and control. My (current) all time favorite razor is my Lupo 95 with its custom aluminum (14g) hollow handle.

Here it is with the rest of today's (just completed) SOTD gear:
SOTD-L-K_2021-07-01.jpg

It's my all time favorite handle. As ever, BIG thanks to Doug @Rosseforp for making it for me.
This will be my last razor purchase :thumbsup::out:
:laugh:

Thinking of other "hand tools" like (say) chisels and hammers... imagine how accurate your work would be if their handles weighed 2½ times that of the head. :001_rolle

I'm a Lightweight Handle Fanboy because I like maneuverability, accuracy, and control. My (current) all time favorite razor is my Lupo 95 with its custom aluminum (14g) hollow handle.

View attachment 1290295
It's my all time favorite handle. As ever, BIG thanks to Doug @Rosseforp for making it for me.

I used to like light handles but discovered tremors = heavier handle. It's great we all have choices.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210701_105211~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Lupo .95 SB (Trident Ti G2 Albion Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: TFS Rasozero - Barbacco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: TFS Intense Line - Tabacum Crepito

Very good shave. :cool:

Last edited:
Did some testing the last month or so with my 3 Lupos: Original Aluminium, SS DLC and SS 95.

In my book the SS DLC is by far the superior of the three. Very smooth and as efficient as the .95 - but much better looking. Only negative is the rounded edges which makes putting the razor down a bit of a hassle. However they did such a bad job with the end tabs of the polished SS Lupo from an aesthetic POV, that I still prefer the old design.

All of the three ultimately fall short to the Gamechanger .84 however. YMMV as always.

Did some testing the last month or so with my 3 Lupos: Original Aluminium, SS DLC and SS 95.

In my book the SS DLC is by far the superior of the three. Very smooth and as efficient as the .95 - but much better looking. Only negative is the rounded edges which makes putting the razor down a bit of a hassle. However they did such a bad job with the end tabs of the polished SS Lupo from an aesthetic POV, that I still prefer the old design.

All of the three ultimately fall short to the Gamechanger .84 however. YMMV as always.
So I didn't need the Lupo :em2300:

Months back I bought a 95 Lupo. I never got the greatest shaves with it, because stubble seemed to grow back very quickly. I traded Kai his 72 for my 95. That 72 gives me great shaves. I have two houses for now and I use the Lupo DLC at my primary house. I eventually got curious about the 95 again. I checked the IB website a few weeks ago and lo and behold, the 95 with the titanium Halo handle was in stock. Of course I bought it. And damn if I'm not getting great shaves with it. Stubble not coming back as quickly as it was. Smooth shaves, no weepers, no aftershave burn. Glad I decided to try the 95 again.

I have been using the ss Lupo 95 every other day for about 10 days and all I have is praise for this razor. It’s excellent, if you are looking for a razor under $100, I highly recommend! The ss Lupo is a strong contender against razors that cost way more than this one. Fabulous!!

Last week I got a Lupo 72 and I haven't touched any of my other razors since. My favorite part is how close the blade comes to the ends of the guard. Wherever the lather gets removed, so does the hair. Makes it a lot easier work right up to my goatee and sideburns than my previous go-to razor.
20210628_125141.jpg

Lupo 95 SOTD
SOTD-L-R_2021-07-06.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 95 GT Special
Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum (4)
ASL: Chocolate Orange [home brew]

A fine shave. :biggrin:

That was the 99th shave with my Semogue Mistura. Thanks again to @Chan Eil Whiskers for pointing me in its direction; it's the best brush on the planet Jim!

TFS soaps are great, and for me their intense line Mandarino Tachibana is the best soap I've used, in every way.

The RazoRock Lupo 95 is superb, and brilliant for getting into all the nooks and crannies on my not-so-shave-friendly face and neck. The Lupo head matched up with Doug @Rosseforp's magical lightweight GT handle (for faultless maneuverability) makes it the best razor.

The BiC Chrome Platinum blade is excellent (I like it nearly as much as my favorite Personna Reds).

And to top it all off my home brewed Chocolate Orange ASL is my new favorite. Two thumbs up to FreshSkin.co.uk for their super fragrance oil, it smells delicious.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Cal, could you comment on your angle of attack as in whether it's steep (which I'd suspect) or shallow or what?

A few gentlemen have suggested the Lupo needs to be used shallow (cap riding) if I'm reading them right. I've always used mine steep (as I always use all DE razors if I use them at all).

Your view?

Do you use the Lupo as steep as your Wolfman and Timeless?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have ordered a Super Knurl handle, it just arrived. According to RR its weight is 82 grams (2.9 oz), but some sites list it at 72 grams(2.6 oz). Mine weights the latter. I am actually happy with the lower weight, it just surprised me. Can someone measure theirs please? Thank you!

I also have a RR Titanium handle on its way, with a WunderBar head attached to it :straight:.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have ordered a Super Knurl handle, it just arrived. According to RR its weight is 82 grams (2.9 oz), but some sites list it at 72 grams(2.6 oz). Mine weights the latter. I am actually happy with the lower weight, it just surprised me. Can someone measure theirs please? Thank you!

I also have a RR Titanium handle on its way, with a WunderBar head attached to it :straight:.

That's the way to order handles. Big Nurse told me so.

Cal, could you comment on your angle of attack as in whether it's steep (which I'd suspect) or shallow or what?
Gotta be STEEP. And remember, I'm a lifelong member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:
A few gentlemen have suggested the Lupo needs to be used shallow (cap riding) if I'm reading them right. I've always used mine steep (as I always use all DE razors if I use them at all).

Your view?
The reason there's a guard on a safety razor... is because it's a safety razor. Therefore, the guard (safety bar or open comb) should be placed on the skin first to smooth/stretch it in front of the blade. At this point the handle will probably be touching the face. The operator then gently raises the handle till the blade makes contact – BINGO, shave (no [or minimal] pressure).

King Gillette knew a bit about shaving. Here's his instructions (see the 2nd way):
Gillette-Tech-Box-Instructions.jpg

So many (relatively recent) instructions say place the cap on the face and lower the handle till the blade makes contact. THIS IS WRONG (IMO). Doing this bunches the skin up in front of the blade. It's an ideal system for lopping off any skin irregularities (like old scars, moles, spots, etc). Do you wonder why so many people complain of skin irritation? I don't.

Also, bear in mind that in most razors (including the Lupo) the difference between steep and shallow is only a few measly degrees (with notable exceptions, e.g. the iKon Tek).

NOTE:
I'm one of those "unlucky" people with whiskers that grow out nearly parallel to my skin. Due to that "problem" some steep anglers go "shallow" when they shave ATG. IMO going shallow is never the answer; I simply go a-little-less steep.
Do you use the Lupo as steep as your Wolfman and Timeless?
Yes, but bear in mind that my handle may be a little closer or further from my face due to the particular razor's head geometry.

The reason there's a guard on a safety razor... is because it's a safety razor. Therefore, the guard (safety bar or open comb) should be placed on the skin first to smooth/stretch it in front of the blade. At this point the handle will probably be touching the face. The operator then gently raises the handle till the blade makes contact – BINGO, shave (no [or minimal] pressure).
This is one of the reasons that I like typically vintage length handles, ~3" (76mm). How anyone manages to shave steep with some of the modern vaulting pole length handles beats me.

Gotta be STEEP. And remember, I'm a lifelong member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :wink2:

King Gillette knew a bit about shaving. Here's his instructions (see the 2nd way):
View attachment 1294214
So many (relatively recent) instructions say place the cap on the face and lower the handle till the blade makes contact. THIS IS WRONG (IMO). Doing this bunches the skin up in front of the blade. It's an ideal system for lopping off any skin irregularities (like old scars, moles, spots, etc). Do you wonder why so many people complain of skin irritation? I don't.

Also, bear in mind that in most razors (including the Lupo) the difference between steep and shallow is only a few measly degrees (with notable exceptions, e.g. the iKon Tek).

NOTE:
I'm one of those "unlucky" people with whiskers that grow out nearly parallel to my skin. Due to that "problem" some steep anglers go "shallow" when they shave ATG. IMO going shallow is never the answer; I simply go a-little-less steep.

Yes, but bear in mind that my handle may be a little closer or further from my face due to the particular razor's head geometry.

Steep angle is the way!!!

Top Bottom