What's new

Photo of the Day

I like where you were going with it, with the tree in the foreground and the reflection. They are tricky because the firework is so bright and everything else is very dark. You need to choke off the light by using your lowest ISO and stop the lens down pretty hard like f8-f16 or maybe even more, then you slow the shutter down to 5-10 sec. The fire burns quick so it hopefully you won't clip the highlights too bad and the long shutter gives more motion and gives the dark a chance to catch up with the bright. Even then you still have to do some work in post to pull the highlights back and the shadows up.

Here's another one from a different local show. I used my ultra wide lens so I had to do a bit of work to straighten the verticals and stop the clock tower from looking like it was falling back. I'll include both the finished shot and the straight out of camera raw image.
P1560346-5.JPG

P1560346-8.JPG

Last edited:
I like where you were going with it, with the tree in the foreground and the reflection. They are tricky because the firework is so bright and everything else is very dark. You need to choke off the light by using your lowest ISO and stop the lens down pretty hard like f8-f16 or maybe even more, then you slow the shutter down to 5-10 sec. The fire burns quick so it hopefully you won't clip the highlights too bad and the long shutter gives more motion and gives the dark a chance to catch up with the bright. Even then you still have to do some work in post to pull the highlights back and the shadows up.
Thanks for the tips. I don’t do much post processing so I have to try that. Also have to hunt around and see if I can find another fireworks show to do some more practise.

drove down to the everglades for sunrise this thursday morning.
first morning this week without early showers!
drone looking to the west, above tamiami trail, not quite midway between miami and naples.
national park territory to the south, miccosukee tribal area to the north.

proxy.php

hunting for some new photo spots.
here's bird's eye view of singer island just above palm beach, fl, with inlet to intracoastal waterway in foreground.
the jetty marks the most easterly point in the state.
late morning, hot and humid.

proxy.php

rafters and boaters enjoying the sun and water in the nearby lagoon and sand flats...

proxy.php

Top Bottom