What's new

Proraso Green Menthol Disappointment

I've been using (the old) Proraso Blue cream lately. I've enjoyed it both for the scent (that I still maintain reminds me of wet paint) and just the quality of the shave it produces. The lather is fantastic, sufficiently slick, and it provides a good cushion. Plus, there is a noticeable bit of menthol.

I've also been a fan of the (old) Proraso White shave croap in the tub. It's just like the Proraso Blue cream except it smells different and it the menthol is stronger. (I also really like the (old) Proraso Red croap, bit it's more of a winter or fall shaving soap for me.) I love the cooling feel of menthol in my summer shaving soaps, as they help me cool down (I begin sweating just minutes after drying off--even after taking a cold water shower.)

I've read reviews in here saying that Proraso Green has the most menthol punch of the Proraso croaps and creams. With that in mind, I finally tried my tub of Proraso Green croap with my shave last night. It seemed very light on the menthol. Either that or I had just built up the menthol anticipation too much in my mind. In any case, the cooling menthol tingle felt a little lighter than what I usually feel from the Proraso white croap. I made up for the lack of menthol with Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue and Duke Cannon Ice Cold Aftershave Balm.

Although the rest of my shave was as good and enjoyable as any other shave I've had with Proraso croaps/creams, I was really hoping for much more menthol. I might just go back to using the Blue cream or the White croap for the rest of summer.

PR green is not a heavy menthol cream...nor is it super cooling.
It has a pretty strong eucalyptus smell.
If you want full on menthol that makes you tear up, there are a few
that can be found by performing a search on B&B

I don't know a soap with a stronger cooling effect than Proraso green - menthol, camphor and eucalyptus bomb. I think your skin is used to the scent, in which case you'd be better off buying a bottle of peppermint oil and adding 1-2 drops to any soap you use.

proraso green's menthol is indeed moderate, imho, altho very nice.
a personal favorite.

proraso green morris forndran filarmonica may 31 2021.jpg

PR green is not a heavy menthol cream...nor is it super cooling.
It has a pretty strong eucalyptus smell.
If you want full on menthol that makes you tear up, there are a few
that can be found by performing a search on B&B
Yeah, I wound up reading one of the menthol bomb threads right after making my post. Some of them sound terror inducingly cold! I'm too chicken to try them out! 😁

I don't know a soap with a stronger cooling effect than Proraso green - menthol, camphor and eucalyptus bomb. I think your skin is used to the scent, in which case you'd be better off buying a bottle of peppermint oil and adding 1-2 drops to any soap you use.
Yeah, I got a noticeable eucalyptus scent from the Proraso Green, but not much cooling.

I've been using (the old) Proraso Blue cream lately. I've enjoyed it both for the scent (that I still maintain reminds me of wet paint) and just the quality of the shave it produces. The lather is fantastic, sufficiently slick, and it provides a good cushion. Plus, there is a noticeable bit of menthol.

I've also been a fan of the (old) Proraso White shave croap in the tub. It's just like the Proraso Blue cream except it smells different and it the menthol is stronger. (I also really like the (old) Proraso Red croap, bit it's more of a winter or fall shaving soap for me.) I love the cooling feel of menthol in my summer shaving soaps, as they help me cool down (I begin sweating just minutes after drying off--even after taking a cold water shower.)

I've read reviews in here saying that Proraso Green has the most menthol punch of the Proraso croaps and creams. With that in mind, I finally tried my tub of Proraso Green croap with my shave last night. It seemed very light on the menthol. Either that or I had just built up the menthol anticipation too much in my mind. In any case, the cooling menthol tingle felt a little lighter than what I usually feel from the Proraso white croap. I made up for the lack of menthol with Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue and Duke Cannon Ice Cold Aftershave Balm.

Although the rest of my shave was as good and enjoyable as any other shave I've had with Proraso croaps/creams, I was really hoping for much more menthol. I might just go back to using the Blue cream or the White croap for the rest of summer.

I also like a nice menthol cream in the summer. If you're willing to stray from Proraso I would suggest trying the Italian version of Palmolive cream. Its called Palmolive Rinfrescante. Its in the same price range as Proraso but its performance, IMHO, is better, and it has a stronger menthol kick. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I also like a nice menthol cream in the summer. If you're willing to stray from Proraso I would suggest trying the Italian version of Palmolive cream. Its called Palmolive Rinfrescante. Its in the same price range as Proraso but its performance, IMHO, is better, and it has a stronger menthol kick. I can't recommend it highly enough.
I'm not wedded to Proraso. I'm trying to think if any of my other soaps have menthol in them. Though, TBH, I'm tempted to go the Stirling menthol drops or menthol crystals route. 🙂

Top Bottom