What's new

The Eye Test. King C Gillette and other P&G blades.

The more I use those King C. Gillette blades the more I like them. And for the record I'm not a fan of P&G, Gillette or any of their agendas. Hopefully someone will send @South Dakota Guy a Gillette Platinum blade to compare if they are the same as the King C. Gillette's.
I just received Some Gillette Platinum blades from @LMcC this morning. I will try to scope them later.
Gillette Platinum.jpg

I don't know if it was mentioned yet and I apologized that it is only tangentially related, but there is also the Gillette Platinum-Plus which I rarely see mentioned. They are made in Brazil. They aren't available many places and the price is ridiculous for the quality, but so far they seem better than Astras 🤪

I forgot to mention that @LMcC sent a third tuck of blades. It is another Gillette Platinum dark blue but it has Arabic writing on it. So without further ado here are my results with a KCG and Nacet included for comparisons.

Gillette Platinum Dark Blue 200x
Gillette Platinum DB.jpg

Gillette Platinum DB Arabic 200X
Gillette Platinum DB.jpg

Gillette Light Blue 200x
Gillette Platinum LB.jpg

KCG 200x
KCG 200X.jpg

Gillette Nacet 200X
K New 200x.jpg

The family resemblance is striking. If I had to pick the one with the smoothest looking blade edge, I would pick the Gillette Platinum dark blue tuck blades. The only one of these blades that I have shaved with is the Nacet, which felt very sharp and relatively smooth, but not as smooth as a Wizamet or Personna Israeli Red to my sensitive skin.

Today I shaved with a dark blue Gillette platinum. The shave was ok but the blade felt kind of rough or scratchy to my sensitive neck. That is my experience with most Russian P&G blades. Wizamet SI are the big exception. YMMV

I am predicting, in the shave off, the newer "Premium" light blue box will win. There are smooth P&G blades, but they aren't sharp enough. I found the KCG a tiny bit smoother than the dark blue box and the hunt for it's twin began. Unfortunately, the light blue box ones aren't cheap either.

I am predicting, in the shave off, the newer "Premium" light blue box will win. There are smooth P&G blades, but they aren't sharp enough. I found the KCG a tiny bit smoother than the dark blue box and the hunt for it's twin began. Unfortunately, the light blue box ones aren't cheap either.

For whatever reason, the light blue ones don’t work for me, at least not in the razors I’ve tried. The dark blue are better, and seem very similar to the KCG. Rubies are my favorite, with Nacet and Wizamet tied for second.

I'm going to start by saying this again I'm NOT a fan of P&G or Gillette! But the King C. Gillette blades work great on my face. Today I used one for the 7th shave & will keep using it till it starts to tug. I usually use a blade about 3-4 times at the most. The Wizamet's @South Dakota Guy sent me were good for 3 shaves. On the 4th shave they started tugging immediately WTG. Tossed it & finished the shave with the KCG blade I used today for the 7th shave.

Don't know how these compare to the other Gillette blades I used as far as longevity. The other Gillette blades I like are the Yellow's followed very closely by the GSB's & Nacet's in that order. Since I still have some samples of those blades will try to compare them to the KCG. But I'm going to need to order some dark blue Platinum's to add to my comparison & maybe I'll also try some Greens & Blacks as well.

@Bill_G was kind enough to send me some other blades for comparison, the Astra SP, Astra SS and the Voskhod (non P&G blade I think). This should give us a lot to lot comparison of the Astra blades, mine vs his.

My Astra SP 200x
B New 200x.jpg

His Astra SP 200x
Astra SP BG 200X.jpg

My Astra SS 200x
C New 200x.jpg

His Astra SS 200x
Astra SS BG 200X.jpg

Voskhod 200x
Voskhod  BG 200X.jpg

It looks to me that @Bill_G 's Astra SP and SS looks slightly smoother than mine. I found my Astra SS blades to be smoother than the SP. I think the same holds true for Bill_G's blades. The Voskhod blade edge looks very uneven. I used one once and thought it was meh. This visual does not motivate me to seek them out. Thanks to @Bill_G for his blades.

Very Informative.
Looks like there are some manufacturing differences. I used the Astra SS & SP's all the time & prefer the SS. I find the SS to be sharper & smoother. But usually get one more shave out of the SP's. These Voshkod are not as good as the ones I got initially from Try a Blade. Safe to say they are differences in the manufacturing process even when comparing 2 of the same blades.
Thanks.

I have looked at this a 100 times now and it just occurred to me that the Platinum DB and the Platinum DB Arabic are two different blades. It also looks like the LB Euro is just a DB Arabic with a thicker coating of polymer on it. Considering this, and the price of the LBs, I wonder if I can reliably find DB Arabic ones to try...

I have looked at this a 100 times now and it just occurred to me that the Platinum DB and the Platinum DB Arabic are two different blades. It also looks like the LB Euro is just a DB Arabic with a thicker coating of polymer on it. Considering this, and the price of the LBs, I wonder if I can reliably find DB Arabic ones to try...
I am not sure but I suspect that you can get the Arabic DB Platinums on Ebay.

Top Bottom