What's new

Why Do We Shave?

In a recent thread, What does BBS look like under a microscope? (before & after pics) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-does-bbs-look-like-under-a-microscope-before-after-pics.609925/#post-11333125, we see beard hairs close up before and after a shave. Some if they comments are interesting. That thread got me thinking and I pose the following.

Why do we shave. Human post pubescent men grow facial hair. Some guys have more, some less, but the general statement that men have facial hair is accurate. Shaving is a social construct. Why do we accept this construct rather than going natural? Even most bearded guys shave around the edges.

I shave because I have a financial interest (sometimes perceived, sometimes overt - company dress code) in so doing. In college, I had a beard. For most of my career, I shaved (except the ‘stache which I have had since 1976) because that was the expectation of the boss or the client. As I have aged and expectations have changed, I can pull off a goatee of white hairs and still look professional. During Covid, with the work from home protocol, I found myself shaving on meeting days - online or F2F. When I retire, I may grow a beard, but will still shave my neck below the beard and keep the beard trimmed.

Are you asking why do we, as a society, shave, or why do we INDIVIDUALLY shave?

Society wise, I heard a theory that once men (and women) began living together, in groups, a shaved man was seen as more compliant and less threatening, thereby fitting into the group easier and easing any apprehension amongst his fellow males.

As for why I shave? 🤔

It’s too damn HOT to maintain my “pandemic” beard! 🧔🏻‍♂️😓🥵🔥😆

I used to sell cars. When asking about growing a mustache at work my manager at the time said, “some people like mustaches and some people don’t but no one has strong opinions about clean shaven” or something like that (it was 10 years ago) in my current career I go back and forth and with my clients has become a bit of a joke whether I’ll have a mustache or not the next time they see me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It separates us from the animals and the barbarians. It’s a visual cue that allows us to identify each other as gentlemen. The same reason that we eat with a knife and fork, iron our clothes and **** on a toilet. Anything less would be uncivilised.
My wife would throw me out of the house if I ever did that “on a toilet”.
Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

She once asked me to take the clothes out of the washer and put them on the dryer. When she got home later I really got torn a new one. I put all of the wet clothes on the dryer and left them there all day long.

My wife used to tell me she liked a little stubble and so i shaved weekly with a cartridge razor. When i figured out how to properly wet shave with a DE razor i discovered having stubble and hair on my face was disgusting and now can't believe i used to go that long without shaving. And, cutting my beard with a fine razor feels and sounds satisfying to me.

Began wearing a beard in high school. I figured "it must grow for a reason, so why shave it off." Never learned the natural reason for why hair grows on the face, but it remained my guiding principle. Always kept it trimmed and edged, and it never interfered with my professional life.

Then the male pattern baldness started to develop. It's natural, and must recede for a reason, so just go with it, right? Vanity kicked in, and for a long time I kept my hair and beard buzzed at the same length. When my blonde hair became invisible on the top solar panel, I decided to take "control" away from nature and shave my head for the first time, about 20 years ago. I have been an avid head shaver since before it was cool. (Look at me, a trend setter).

Curious to try a new style, for years I went between full beard and goatee/circle beard style. Since discovering traditional shaving 7 months ago, it became a pleasure. And a way to spend way too much money on something as fundamental as shaving.

Why do I shave? The soaps are sweet and the razors are so damned cool looking and fun to use.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I shave because my Bride wants a weirdo, not a beardo.

The same reason that we eat with a knife and fork, iron our clothes and **** on a toilet. Anything less would be uncivilised.

I try to eat in the dining room or shovel sustenance into my piehole while sitting on the couch watching my idjit screen. And though I’m not much for ironing these past 30 years, the few times I do, I use the ironing board.

She once asked me to take the clothes out of the washer and put them on the dryer. When she got home later I really got torn a new one. I put all of the wet clothes on the dryer and left them there all day long.

I take it she’ll see this meme and say it’s you:

1625063351065.png

I’m told it’s me a lot.

Top Bottom