What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

06/26 - Still in. Changed it up a little today.
PXL_20210626_221936880-01.jpeg

GEM Jr. Bar / GEM wedge blade / GEM Personna SS PTFE
DG Trismegistus
Heritage Collection Klenzo
Hazlett's Apothecary 1888

Someone in another thread asked about the "extra" flanges on the bar of the GEM Jr. Bar. It was postulated that they might be there to accommodate older wedge blades. So today I thought I'd give it a try.

Mechanically it certainly works and I'm sure that's what they are for. But my shave with the wedge blade was only SAS. Could have easily been a less-than-sharp wedge blade. Finished off with a 4th pass ATG with the modern, spined blade for a nice BBS.

Still in.

Head shave only. Same kit as usual but I used my A&E Kaizen. I bought it when it first dropped and used it for a week. Pretty good stuff and the scent smells really nice for summer. I'm feeling guilty I didn't use it more.

I fly out tomorrow morning for Alaska. I mailed a tuck to the hotel we're staying at tomorrow night. I'm going to be on and off grid quite a bit so let it be known now while I still have internet, I intend on being in the July GRUME.

Good luck everyone with the rest of the month. I'm sure if you made it this long you'll make it the final push.

Still out. No further purchases.

I’m getting pickier with my soaps. I’ve decided to stick with only the best of the best in my daily line up to see me through the year. After much consideration Castle Forbes is out. The scent is fantastic but I’m getting some minor irritation from it. My skin is not loving it as much as the others.

The current best of the best title goes to. Adp, Baume, SV, SMN and Tabac. Further culling from here would be difficult.

Out.
I felt the need to add another MDC soap and some of their moisturising oil to my setup, plus a variety of DE blades to see me through the rest of the year.
By my standards, I've done well. I avoided buying more brushes, I was toying with the idea of adding an SV brush and Chubby 2 in Best. I'm pretty sure these notions are behind me now!

Still in.

I started this year with daily shaves and for the first two months I almost didn't skip a day.

By the beginning of the Summer, my daily shaves became alternate day shaves and then a gap of weeks became the norm.

There was a hole in my shave setup regime for aftershave as I had no idea how to take care of my skin properly.

I ordered some ingredients to create a homemade recipe for aftershave and they are yet to reach me.

Since I didn't ordered anything labelled as aftershave but various ingredients, so I think I'm not out due to this.
I didn't had anything to use as aftershave for the summer.

Nivea aftershave balm was too much, Anherb aftershave balm died (not finished), it lost it's consistency and became all watery.

Out.
I felt the need to add another MDC soap and some of their moisturising oil to my setup, plus a variety of DE blades to see me through the rest of the year.
By my standards, I've done well. I avoided buying more brushes, I was toying with the idea of adding an SV brush and Chubby 2 in Best. I'm pretty sure these notions are behind me now!

With just two days to go? Duuuuuude.

Still in. Desperately needed a shower and shave before bed last night. Grabbed my Schöne razor and my TSS Mimik Badger with Proraso green cream. Nice combination.

SOTyesterD
  • Thin-cap Old Type
  • Nacet (28)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco - 3017
  • Fuller Brush of Mystery
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
I finally managed to kill the Formula T Tobacco. After chasing the last remnant around the tin for my lather, I scooped out that tiny final bit and put it on top of my Tabac, rinsed out the tin and called it good. Next up is Stirling Orange Chill, and my ASB order included the matching ASB, so I'm ready for the incoming heat wave.

Yesterday's shave was a night-time shave. That's different for me, as I usually shave in the mornings, but I had played evening tennis with my son and knew that I would have an early day today. I was working on a few days' growth thanks to the weekend and brought out my best tool for that job, the thin-cap Old Type. With a very light touch, whiskers melted away, even though the blade was on its last legs. Into the bin with the blade and into bed with me.

I'll start the next month-ish of shaving with a new-ish kit: back to the steady Rockwell, but with the above-mentioned Orange Chill components and, assuming delivery happens as it should, my new puppy.

Onward!

Last edited:
Top Bottom