What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

The Drew Dick custom came in today, my QUADSAB exception. Shave test and unveiling tomorrow...

Congratulations! Happy shaves!

FIN.png

Today's QUADSAB shave:
PXL_20210624_160105241-01.jpeg

Drew Dick, 8/8, near-wedge in 80-layer twisted with an O2 edge, light horn scales, and a pewter wedge.
WK Fougere Bouquet
Mojo Handcrafts

BIG blade, but surprisingly light and maneuverable. A wonderful shave from my first made-to-order custom.

No foto today, but i decided to change all brushes in rotation because i was getting bored and i also opened an Arko Max Comfort cream that officially expired in 2019. Well, at first water came out of the tube. The cream has reduced consistency, but lathers still fine. Scent still is fine too. The tube was also completely sealed with aluminum seal. And i still have yet another unopened tube...

Excellent shave though. I always liked this cream very much.

Still in.
I finally found a Blackland Vector! Thank you B&B and the gentlemenly member who offered it to me. My exception has been used! I will be sure to post a picture when it arrives! 6 more months with no purchases here we go! I hope I planned the timing of my exception well 🤞🤞 and can make it the rest of the year with no hiccups! Otherwise I’ll be looking to trade with you fine gents!

SOTD
Razor: Karve SB-B
Blade: PolSilver
Brush: 22mm SHD Badger
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
The more I use this brush the better it gets! I foresee a couple more badger brushes in my post sabbatical future! Have a great day y’all!
A8067550-2524-4616-AC2D-1B3E8A1DE13D.jpeg

Still in.
I finally found a Blackland Vector! Thank you B&B and the gentlemenly member who offered it to me. My exception has been used! I will be sure to post a picture when it arrives! 6 more months with no purchases here we go! I hope I planned the timing of my exception well 🤞🤞 and can make it the rest of the year with no hiccups! Otherwise I’ll be looking to trade with you fine gents!

SOTD
Razor: Karve SB-B
Blade: PolSilver
Brush: 22mm SHD Badger
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
The more I use this brush the better it gets! I foresee a couple more badger brushes in my post sabbatical future! Have a great day y’all!View attachment 1287385

If i were American, i would surely buy at least one Captain's soap, just for the nice label. They look very nice with the blue background and the ship!

Anyway, new rotation and the semi-separated Arko Max comfort works great! Boy, this is way better than Proraso. Very good cushion and i love the scent too! No wonder my usual stores don't carry it anymore, it was too good of a bargain!

FINAL.png

Still in and tried something different today.
PXL_20210626_221936880-01.jpeg

GEM Jr. Bar / GEM wedge blade / GEM Personna SS PTFE
DG Trismegistus
Heritage Collection Klenzo
Hazlett's Apothecary 1888

Someone in another thread asked about the "extra" flanges on the bar of the GEM Jr. Bar. It was postulated that they might be there to accommodate older wedge blades. So today I thought I'd give it a try.

Mechanically it certainly works and I'm sure that's what they are for. But my shave with the wedge blade was only SAS. Could have easily been a less-than-sharp wedge blade. Finished off with a 4th pass ATG with the modern, spined blade for a nice BBS.

And back to the GEMs again today for Micromatic Monday...
PXL_20210628_150333803-01.jpeg

GEM Pushbutton / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Tabac trifecta

A wonderfully mild shave with a BBS result.

Yup, tomorrow is halfway. I'll say that this QUADSAB has so far definitely helped me rein in my soap acquisition disorder. I was just going through my shave cabinet and looking at the 2-3 soaps that are well into their bottom halves. I was looking at some assorted shave doo-dads to put up for sale next weekend- stuff that has just been sitting there taking up space - and it hit me that I don't have any more "never used!" tins of soap to throw into the sale pile.

Yes, we are half way through, gentlemen! And with no "casualties". It has been very useful for building up "stamina", although in September i will buy some soaps... But i am confident they will be the last for much time. Actually, spending less time in the forum plus the Quadsab is highly effective. The only bad thing, is that i am getting tired of making photos lately. Part of losing "touch" with the forum probably. You lose some enthusiasm.

FINAL2.png

P.S.: Mogno and Haslinger Aloe Vera. I have both at stock. Who knows when i will use them...

Yes, we are half way through, gentlemen! And with no "casualties". It has been very useful for building up "stamina", although in September i will buy some soaps... But i am confident they will be the last for much time. Actually, spending less time in the forum plus the Quadsab is highly effective. The only bad thing, is that i am getting tired of making photos lately. Part of losing "touch" with the forum probably. You lose some enthusiasm.

View attachment 1289289

P.S.: Mogno and Haslinger Aloe Vera. I have both at stock. Who knows when i will use them...

How's that Coronila lather? Or are you using it for aftershave?

How's that Coronila lather? Or are you using it for aftershave?

I wouldn't know, my usual supermarket doesn't carry it. I have Tuborg in the fridge right now. I think the alcohol would be bad for the lather. It could work as aftershave, i guess! But since the temperature is going up, i think i will just drink them. :a17:

FINAL.jpg

God knows i tried to love this brush. But aside the quality of hair, i will never understand why people rave about these brushes. Functionality is problematic. Too dense, loft short, the lather arrives at the bottom of the handle, instead of your face or staying inside. My less than 6 euro clipped silvertip has better functionality. Well, at least i know i don't want another (i have a pure too).

Last edited:
View attachment 1289722

God knows i tried to love this brush. But aside the quality of hair, i will never understand why people rave about these brushes. Functionality is problematic. Too dense, loft short, the lather arrives at the bottom of the handle, instead of your face or staying inside. My less than 6 euro clipped silvertip has better functionality. Well, at least i know i don't want another (i have a pure too).
Feel free to send me your undesired badgers for proper disposal! No one should have to endure the torture of a Simpson best Badger! 😜😜

Top Bottom