What's new

Mildest Blade?

Thanks for suggesting the Laser Ultra triple coated blade. I never heard of it before, but I just heard one YouTube reviewer say even though it was mild, it was so inefficient that he had to do so many passes that it irritated his skin. I like mild. In fact, that's the most important thing I look for in a blade. But, if the blade is so inefficient that it will require so much buffing that it leads to irritation, then at the end of the day, I don't really consider that a mild blade but a dull one. Also, I'm using a mild razor (Timeless Ti .68 SB) so that may not help matters.
The fact that the Laser Ultra is inexpensive is not a drawback. Actually, one of the most popular blades around here and one of my personal favorites (Astra SP) costs the same ($11/100) on Amazon with Prime shipping! But, I will do more research before ruling out the Laser Ultra.
May I ask, what blades you like better?

Anyone who is willing to spend 19 valuable minutes of their lives standing naked, preferably from the waist up, in front of a bathroom mirror filming himself lathering and lathering and blathering and blathering and shaving and shaving and shaving some more, and then post it online for the whole world to see, must know what he's talking about.

Just ask yourself: How can a well-dressed man start the day without a quadruple bypass ultra-BBS shave?

And my hat's off to anyone with the patience to endure 19 minutes of such utter, mind-cauterizing boredom. This is far beyond my mortal powers. I download and playback on ultra-fast, and skip all but about the 15 seconds summation.

I wonder what the RECORD is for the LONGEST video on Yutu of someone shaving himself? Has anyone exceeded the 60 minute mark for prep, color commentary, shave, post shave and opining ("Yeah, I guess that was an almost adequate shave for a five cent blade, but I was expecting much more.") on a single morning shave?

If not, get with it guys! Post those ULTRA-SHAVE SLO MO GO PRO GROOMATHON VIDEOS! The longer, the better! How about some instant replay on those side burns? A macro view of your mustache! A laryngoscope of your tonsils!

Reading aloud from "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" allowed:

"And today in Chapter LXIX, we learn about how the Sabine women were kidnapped by seven unwashed, unshaved brothers living in a mountain valley cut off from civilization for the winter. Will the women teach them good manners and grooming by the time spring rolls around? Who will win the big barn dance contest? Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode of... Grooming with Grungy!"

Guinness is awaiting!

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Anyone who is willing to spend 19 valuable minutes of their lives standing naked, preferably from the waist up, in front of a bathroom mirror filming himself lathering and lathering and blathering and blathering and shaving and shaving and shaving some more, and then post it online for the whole world to see, must know what he's talking about.

Just ask yourself: How can a well-dressed man start the day without a quadruple bypass ultra-BBS shave?

And my hat's off to anyone with the patience to endure 19 minutes of such utter, mind-cauterizing boredom. This is far beyond my mortal powers. I download and playback on ultra-fast, and skip all but about the 15 seconds summation.

I wonder what the RECORD is for the LONGEST video on Yutu of someone shaving himself? Has anyone exceeded the 60 minute mark for prep, color commentary, shave, post shave and opining ("Yeah, I guess that was an almost adequate shave for a five cent blade, but I was expecting much more.") on a single morning shave?

If not, get with it guys! Post those ULTRA-SHAVE SLO MO GO PRO GROOMATHON VIDEOS! The longer, the better! How about some instant replay on those side burns? A macro view of your mustache! A laryngoscope of your tonsils!

Reading aloud from "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" allowed:

"And today in Chapter LXIX, we learn about how the Sabine women were kidnapped by seven unwashed, unshaved brothers living in a mountain valley cut off from civilization for the winter. Will the women teach them good manners and grooming by the time spring rolls around? Who will win the big barn dance contest? Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode of... Grooming with Grungy!"

Guinness is awaiting!
I have never watched a video of shaving, and you have reinforced the correctness of my decision. Six or seven minutes of live action each morning is all I need!

Thanks for suggesting the Laser Ultra triple coated blade. I never heard of it before, but I just heard one YouTube reviewer say even though it was mild, it was so inefficient that he had to do so many passes that it irritated his skin. I like mild. In fact, that's the most important thing I look for in a blade. But, if the blade is so inefficient that it will require so much buffing that it leads to irritation, then at the end of the day, I don't really consider that a mild blade but a dull one. Also, I'm using a mild razor (Timeless Ti .68 SB) so that may not help matters.
The fact that the Laser Ultra is inexpensive is not a drawback. Actually, one of the most popular blades around here and one of my personal favorites (Astra SP) costs the same ($11/100) on Amazon with Prime shipping! But, I will do more research before ruling out the Laser Ultra.
May I ask, what blades you like better?

If you ask for pizza, don't complain when you get it that it isn't fried chicken.

Guinness is awaiting!
I enjoy watching YouTube videos! I learned photography, cooking...and now wet-shaving from them! Some of these guys are amazing, and I owe a great deal of gratitude to them. I've learned so much in such a short period of time about all aspects of wet-shaving, especially the hardware (razors, blades, 3D bowls!) and software (soaps, aftershave balms) sides of the hobby. If it weren't for them, it would've probably taken me months (if not years!) to narrow down the best products for me. As it is, I was able to zero in on my favorites in a couple of months. For those new to the hobby (or those just trying to find the best equipment for themselves), I highly recommend, in no particular order, the following YouTube channels: Ruds Shaves, Michael Freedberg, The Virtual Groomroom, IAMCDB, nick shaves, Kensurfs, Kevy Shaves, Friendship Shaving, Mark Szorady, and sgrdddy_shaves, Shave 326...and, of course, Razor Emporium and West Coast Shaving!
Thank you so much, guys! :a14:

Last edited:
I enjoy watching YouTube videos! I learned photography, cooking...and now wet-shaving from them! Some of these guys are amazing, and I owe a great deal of gratitude to them.
If you want to dive down another rabbit hole, hair cutting, I recommend Rum Barber. There are others that are good if you know what they are doing and can learn from watching, but RB is the only one I know that has tutorials. They are aimed at supposed professionals though, so be warned.

If you want to dive down another rabbit hole, hair cutting, I recommend Rum Barber. There are others that are good if you know what they are doing and can learn from watching, but RB is the only one I know that has tutorials. They are aimed at supposed professionals though, so be warned.
I'll check it out as soon as I climb out of the wet-shaving rabbit hole! 😂 Thanks!

I enjoy watching YouTube videos! I learned photography, cooking...and now wet-shaving from them! Some of these guys are amazing, and I owe a great deal of gratitude to them. I've learned so much in such a short period of time about all aspects of wet-shaving, especially the hardware (razors, blades, 3D bowls!) and software (soaps, aftershave balms) sides of the hobby. If it weren't for them, it would've probably taken me months (if not years!) to narrow down the best products for me. As it is, I was able to zero in on my favorites in a couple of months. For those new to the hobby (or those just trying to find the best equipment for themselves), I highly recommend, in no particular order, the following YouTube channels: Ruds Shaves, Michael Freedberg, The Virtual Groomroom, IAMCDB, nick shaves, Kensurfs, Kevy Shaves, Friendship Shaving, Mark Szorady, and sgrdddy_shaves, Shave 326...and, of course, Razor Emporium and West Coast Shaving!
Thank you so much, guys! :a14:

True. There are some useful videos, including shaving.

That particular one about the Laser Ultra, by a guy who shall remain nameless, was not one of the better ones.

But most of the shaving ones are waaaaayyyyy too long, and the guy speaks waaaaaaayyyyyyy tooooooo sllllloooooowwwwllllyyyy. They are narcissism personified.

JUST GET TO THE POINT!!!!!

Often, when you fast forward to the end of the video, there isn't a summation. Huh? Am I going to have to go back and watch the whole thing to find out what he thinks?

And sometimes it sure looks to me like the guy is holding that particular razor at the wrong angle.

Then there are the guys who review canned shaving foam, take a new can and never read the instructions and never shake it once, and pronounce it worthless.

GIGO. If you haven't a clue what you are talking about, posting a video online is not going to make you an expert. But people who know even less might think you are.

Perhaps the best shaving videos are from Razor Emporium. Very educational.

But hey, some people like to watch these things. So for them, I suggest a 24-hour live Youtube channel of guys shaving.

I bet there are a lot of people who would sign up for slots. I'd like to see a prize for the longest, slowest daily shave. Can anyone break the one-hour mark?

Guinness is awaiting!
Just ordered samples of Laser Ultra and SP. Thanks. I also ordered Bolzano and Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black).

The softest blade is the sharpest. For me, this is a feather.
Everything else depends on the razor.

Not necessarily.

A razor blade edge is not the same as a knife edge. A knife edge should be as fine as possible to cut through things. Do you want this in a razor blade? It would not just cut whiskers, but slice into your skin.

A good razor blade has a slightly rounded edge, like a ballpoint. This was pointed out in the FAQs of a ceramic knife manufacturer, who was responding to queries of why they don't make ceramic razor blades: because the ceramic edge can't be rounded easily. A ceramic knife edge would slice into your face, they said. So would a razor blade with a fine knife edge.

A razor blade edge must also be consistent and straight. If it is not, if it is like a serrated knife, it might seem sharper and might even cut whiskers more efficiently. But a serrated blade edge will also wreak havoc on your skin - would you shave with a serrated steak knife? And a Feather seems to become more serrated the more shaves you put on it.

I believe the claim that Feather blades are the sharpest in the world is a myth. Some people believe it because others keep repeating it. And others keep repeating it because, well, others keep repeating it.

To make such an assertion, one would presumably have to shave with every other razor blade made now or ever made in the past. Have you done that? Has anyone done that? I haven't. But I have shaved with blades I find sharper in actual use in real razors.

I've looked at those charts of scientific measurement of sharpness of blades. They are a nice, sincere try, but they don't match my experience in using blades in real razors to shave real whiskers with wet blades immersed in shaving soap rubbing against skin. There are lots of variables in determining sharpness, and I suspect coatings that make a blade feel smoother may actually reduce sharpness in these artificial tests by making them less "sticky," particularly to dry threads used in tests.

I'm not at all sure what is meant by "mildest blade"? On first glace, it would seem to be a smooth blade that is not very sharp. Again, it is an oxymoron, like "softest hammer." But I take it to be a blade that delivers a pleasant, smooth shave in the widest range of razors. On that score, my favorite is still the Laser Ultra triple coated blade, which I have used since it came out 10 years ago. However, it is not my only, or primary blade. But it does deliver consistently pleasant shaves, and so is a joy to shave with.

Yes, well made very sharp blades can be "milder" in a sense in actual use, if used properly with less pressure, though this depends on the razor; in some razors a very sharp blade will feel milder, in others harsher, depending on the angle of the blade and the blade gap. In most moderate or mild razors, a very sharp blade will feel very mild because it is so efficient. But in some aggressive razors, it might feel rough because of the greater contact with the skin. The key to getting a mild shave out of a very sharp blade is to use less pressure and fewer strokes.

And, of course, you have to consider not only how fine the blade edge is, but how carefully and evenly the bevel is stropped. Most expensive, very sharp blades are also polished, smooth blades (a good example is Bolzono). But not Feathers. My limited experience with Kai is that they are smoother than Feathers, but not especially sharp.

So, in short, I believe Feathers are not the sharpest blade in the world. And they certainly are not the mildest blade in the world. Not even close.

Who cares? Why do you need to shave with "the sharpest blade in the world"?

I've got some very, very sharp blades; I've got some very sharp blades; I've got some sharp blades; and I even have one medium blade for reference. In actual practice, I get excellent shaves just using very sharp blades in most razors. And I can get good shaves using simply sharp blades. Many people in the world manage to get acceptable shaves with medium blades. But my very, very sharp blades do bring out the best in a less than very aggressive razor.

I am quite happy using blades costing $10 or less in a good razor. I don't use my razor or blades to stroke my ego.

-=-

BTW, Feathers have security features on their packaging, so make sure yours are genuine.

Last edited:
I believe the claim that Feather blades are the sharpest in the world is a myth.

I believe Feathers are not the sharpest blade in the world.
Wow 😲 I've never heard anyone dispute Feather as the sharpest blade in the world!

What blade(s) do you find sharper? 🤔

Last edited:
Wow 😲 I've never heard anyone dispute Feather as the sharpest blade in the world!

What blade(s) do you find sharper? 🤔

Here we go again.

The "I've never head anyone...." game, again.

Well, now you have.

So don't you ever again say: "Wow 😲 I've never heard anyone dispute Feather as the sharpest blade in the world!"

Frankly, I find it offensive. It's the: "You don't go along with everyone else! What are you, some kinda weirdo?"

In Korea it was the "Everyone knows that...." game.

If you said something that someone didn't agree with, which was not society's collective opinion, someone would say, "Everyone knows that...." and they would laugh in your face; often, everyone in the room would laugh at you, too, including strangers.

I don't know what country you are from, but it makes me sad to see such conformist pressure from anyone in any country, and on any website. How many have felt this pressure to agree with the loudest members on this site? Perhaps I am the only one -- it doesn't matter, I still think it is wrong.

As to my opinions on good blades, I have stated them in other threads several times. If you have not read them, that's not my problem. I am not a tout; that's the job of the manufacturers' marketing departments (sometimes it seems B&B IS the Gillette marketing department).

My response was a detailed opinion on the relation of sharpness to mildness in the shaving experience. What was your response?

Frankly, from your first sentence, it was obvious you do not have the slightest interest in giving my opinions a moment's consideration, aside from a way to attack them again.

I have had my say on the subject of razor blades and brands. Unless my opinions change and need updating, I have nothing further to say, as I am tired of going around in circles saying the same thing over and over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom