What's new

SV longevity test part 1

Oh, so it was Rolls! I should have figured it out! The Ferrari is sports car, not luxury car! Finally, the Rolls club managed to find its humour! :laugh: I tried with the Proraso , but apparently it wasn't funny enough! Oh well, aristocrats... :laugh:

You probably don't have the context of that joke since you didn't grow up in North America during the 70's, so here is the original

Note: the originally aired commercial ended at the handover, James Bond didn't show up lol.

You probably don't have the context of that joke since you didn't grow up in North America during the 70's, so here is the original

Thank you. I haven't seen this before, but i understood more than what you would think even without having seen it. :biggrin1: Hence my comment. Let's call it italian (Proraso) vs British humour. Not many Italians in this thread, are they! :lol1:

As a side note, I always cringe when I see a bunch of fake ratings/reviews where you see someone say something like, "My husband just ordered this and can't wait to try it! 5 stars!" Yeah, sterling review. :rolleyes5

Hahaha those reviews crack me up lol. "Bought this for my Hubby and he loves it"! Well then why the hell isn't he writing the review! lol

I really like the ones that go "I never write reviews..." like it's beneath their station in life, but they are just so impressed with the item they have to take time out from their busy day of highly important tasks.

I really like the ones that go "I never write reviews..." like it's beneath their station in life, but they are just so impressed with the item they have to take time out from their busy day of highly important tasks.

I never buy companies but...

I wonder if that comes with the New England Patriots? 🤔

In the bigger interest of this community, I have a humble request to the gentlemen below. Please record and share an end-to-end lathering video. Your technique may save many people in this forum (including myself) a small fortune

I can not even think about how it is possible to get 500 shaves out of a MWF puck. Please share your wisdom with us mortals

to hell shaving with Arko to save money. I want have the cake AND eat it, too!

Myself I use synthetic brushes ,
do not bloom ,load directly from
container for 5 secs,
face lather and do a
3 -pass shave .Always ,
there’s enough remaining
lather for one more pass.
Already at 200x shaves ( 600x passes ).Not even at halfway of container .
I would think at least 500 shaves would be pretty normal for SV,
but I've had lathers that thick with around a 0.3g, especially with something like Boellis or MdC
I typically get four shaves per gram from a hard soap
I can do well with around 1/2g with a moderate brush, as I can Castle Forbes.
from getting 500 shaves from a 125g puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat and 200 shaves from a 50g Palmolive shave stick

Economy of use isn’t in the lathering, some products are more concentrated than others.

Then show the lathering technique with your most expensive and concentrated soap. I am really curious, seriously. For example, I have finished a tub of AdP in 85 shaves and a tub of Castle Forbes in 135.
Could I have used a little less product? Yes, definitely. Could I have used 1/3 to 1/4 of the product as you all claim here? I am not so sure… but would love to learn

AdP is my all time favorite soap, but at €60 cents a shave it is not sustainable to use regularly when I get a great shave from Cella or Tabac or Lá Toja for €5 cents

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s not in the lathering. Weigh out 1/2g using a kitchen scale, put it in a bowl and lather it. It isn’t technique.

One man down and The mystery remains… let’s hope the other magicians can shed more light on their secret

by the way, I weighted 0.5g of TOBS cream and that’s like the tip of my fingertip or the very tip of a tea spoon worth of soap. It’s a really small amount of shaving fuel

As a reference, these are Nuavia’s instructions on how to use their product (3g of soap - seems a bit too much)
USAGE INSTRUCTIONS
  • Soak your brush in hot water for some minutes
  • Shake the brush to allow all the water to drip off of it
  • Take out exactly 3 grams of product
  • Spread it in a bowl and add exactly 7 grams of water in two stages
  • Whirl the brush in the bowl to slightly whip a cream
  • Thoroughly apply on your wet skin.

Last edited:

Steve56

95E2E71C-CB01-4D93-AE73-627162C543B1.jpeg
D8C47798-D6F0-40A3-8DD6-1F8CD465A866.jpeg
392D2F68-A615-4BDC-9DC8-E8E7B35EB82F.jpeg

I'm not sure what this post is worth, other than to let you know I'm making good progress on the SV longevity test (Opuntia Beta 4.3). It's certainly lovely soap, but I'm beginning to think it's really expensive.

Honesty, it's really hard to tell, but I think I'm about half way through the tin. That's definitely a ballpark guess. I'm 200 passes in - that I'm sure of (pencil and paper).
If you're a three pass shaver that's about 68 shaves. I did 100 2 pass shaves face lathering.
The rest of the story in a few months.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what is SV?

Last edited:
One man down and The mystery remains… let’s hope the other magicians can shed more light on their secret

by the way, I weighted 0.5g of TOBS cream and that’s like the tip of my fingertip or the very tip of a tea spoon worth of soap. It’s a really small amount of shaving fuel

As a reference, these are Nuavia’s instructions on how to use their product (3g of soap - seems a bit too much)
USAGE INSTRUCTIONS
  • Soak your brush in hot water for some minutes
  • Shake the brush to allow all the water to drip off of it
  • Take out exactly 3 grams of product
  • Spread it in a bowl and add exactly 7 grams of water in two stages
  • Whirl the brush in the bowl to slightly whip a cream
  • Thoroughly apply on your wet skin.

What soaps are you using now and how much are you using?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

SV is one of the best soaps you can find on the market today. The scents are more cologne like and I believe it qualifies as a vegan soap as well. Certainly worth a try if you are looking for a new soap, and the price is reasonable for the size of the soap.

Steve56

Just a note on weighing hard soaps, if you’re lathering on the puck you’ll need to let it dry before doing the ‘after’ weight, the residual water makes a considerable difference - sometimes the soap weighs more right after shaving than before. I always weighed right before I shaved every day when I test soap usage.

Take at least a weeks worth of measurements using the same brush, throw out the high and low measurements and average the rest. More is better.

Only a soap geek would do this, lol.

Top Bottom