What's new

Mildest Blade?

I think of the Nacet as Gillette's Feather. Those two blades felt almost identical to me—too sharp. So far, the GSB is my favorite blade. But, I have a number of other blades to try out.
I have a tuck of GSB. I need to give them a try.
Wait…they’re not blue, they’re platinum 🙄
I’ll have to get some GSB.
Ok just ordered some 👍🏻

Last edited:
I have been liking Gillette Silver Blue, Platinum, and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless in my New De Luxe and Aristocrat. I find the 7 O'Clock shockingly smooth and close in the Aristocrat every time I use it in the current rotation. I just got some Voskhod to try from the recommendations here.

I see that there are different color Gillette 7 O'Clock blades. Are the mildest the yellow 🍋ones?

IMG-1350.jpg
I have these ☝...but they say "SharpEdge" not "Stainless Steel". I haven't tried them because (unlike most people) I find the Russian 🇷🇺 blades harsh! 😡

Last edited:
I see that there are different color Gillette 7 O'Clock blades. Are the mildest the yellow 🍋ones?

View attachment 1279546
I have these ☝...but they say "SharpEdge" not "Stainless Steel". I haven't tried them because (unlike most people) I find the Russian 🇷🇺 blades harsh! 😡
Those are the Yellow & they are stainless. Not as sharp as the Nacet but they are sharp. If you are going to use a mild to medium razor you want a sharp blade. Pick the one that work best for your a skin. Also most of the Gillette blades are made in Russia.

I will say that the Derby Premium blades that I have been recently trying are giving me a decently mild shave and so far I have gotten up to 4 good shaves out of them as opposed to 2 on the Derby extra blades that I tried before.

I tried the Treet Black Beauties. There was a lot of tugging...but maybe like you said they have to be broken in!
I had to dig them out so I could give you accurate information, but Treet makes a bewildering number of carbon steel blades. The information I have is that the Falcon and the Classic are the same blade and to my face they are. What is more interesting is that I heard they are run through the same process as the Platinum stainless, they are PTFE coated unlike the black death(cough, beauty). They are a similar sharpness to the 7'o clock yellow that you have, sharper than Astra SP by a little. They are really enjoyable to use and I have a tough beard. They feel irritation free like carbon, but cut like stainless.:ihih:

I had to dig them out so I could give you accurate information, but Treet makes a bewildering number of carbon steel blades. The information I have is that the Falcon and the Classic are the same blade and to my face they are. What is more interesting is that I heard they are run through the same process as the Platinum stainless, they are PTFE coated unlike the black death(cough, beauty). They are a similar sharpness to the 7'o clock yellow that you have, sharper than Astra SP by a little. They are really enjoyable to use and I have a tough beard. They feel irritation free like carbon, but cut like stainless.:ihih:
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

I will say that the Derby Premium blades that I have been recently trying are giving me a decently mild shave and so far I have gotten up to 4 good shaves out of them as opposed to 2 on the Derby extra blades that I tried before.
I have to get another sample pack of blades. There are so many good ones out there!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It is interesting to me how many methodologies are available to decide on the best blade for you. After setting the stage with brush, soap, razor, and aftershave to be used, assuring as much as possible that the comparison is really focused on the blades, how does one proceed? One shave per blade seems to me to be flawed in that many blades perform demonstrably more smoothly on the second use. You could do two or three shaves per blade, or you could push ahead and ascertain how long each blade can go before the smoothness begins to fade, if longevity is part of your calculus. You could alternate daily, or you could alternate when you are done with a given blade. You can do eliminations to winnow the field or devise a scoring system. As to devising a scoring system, the points would reflect your highest priorities such as comfort, BBS, feedback after applying aftershave, lack of nicks or weepers, longevity, price per blade, price per shave, etc.

i am nearing the end of my process. It has been using each blade until it begins to fade, for longevity is one of my criteria. I put obtaining BBS with great comfort as my top priority. A lot of good blades and a few not so good blades have been tried...Merkur, Derby, Feather, Wilkinson, Astra, PIR, Crystal, Nacet, GSB. It is coming down for me to Crystal or GSB. Both are very smooth. Both are very efficient. Neither has given me a nick or a weeper (but that is not a criterion since I almost never get either). Both can easily go two weeks or more without tugging at all. The choice at this point will be very subjective.

Thank you for your good post! Definitely, we all prioritize things differently. I'm much more interested in comfort than efficiency. As it turns out, however, my two favorite blades so far (Polsilver and Feather) happen to also be the most efficient. Unlike most guys around here, I'm not really interested in getting a BBS shave. I have very sensitive skin, so it's not worth it for me to go for the ultimate shave. I'm perfectly content with a DFS! Also unlike many guys, longevity is not one of my criteria. I've already spent $2K on razors and soaps. Blades (arguably the most important component of a shave) are relatively cheap. I just got a shipment of Wizamet blades which I will compare with the Polsilver today. I also don't subscribe to the "breaking in period" for shaving equipment. They're not baseball gloves! I remember Shane tried to convince me to give his Blackbird at least a week. (Meanwhile, it feels like it's tearing up my face.) No thank you! There are plenty of razors and blades that perform flawlessly right out of the box (like Timeless and Polsilver) so that I don't have to help the manufacturer to do what I consider to be his job.

Last edited:
Thanks to the suggestions here, I tried the Voskhod and really like it, I do find it mild. Did a first shave with the New Deluxe, second shave with the Aristocrat. Will continue and see.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Thank you for your good post! Definitely, we all prioritize things differently. I'm much more interested in comfort than efficiency. As it turns out, however, my two favorite blades so far (Polsilver and Feather) happen to also be the most efficient. Unlike most guys around here, I'm not really interested in getting a BBS shave. I have very sensitive skin, so it's not worth it for me to go for the ultimate shave. I'm perfectly content with a DFS! Also unlike many guys, longevity is not one of my criteria. I've already spent $2K on razors and soaps. Blades (arguably the most important component of a shave) are relatively cheap. I just got a shipment of Wizamet blades which I will compare with the Polsilver today. I also don't subscribe to the "breaking in period" for shaving equipment. They're not baseball gloves! I remember Shane tried to convince me to give his Blackbird at least a week. (Meanwhile, it feels like it's tearing up my face.) No thank you! There are plenty of razors and blades that perform flawlessly right out of the box (like Timeless and Polsilver) so that I don't have to help the manufacturer to do what I consider to be his job.
Good luck with the new blades and the search. Whether you subscribe to it or not, on some blades, predominantly coated blades, it is an established fact, and there are highly detailed photographs and measurements to support it. Those measurements and photographs disclose some fascinating things, such as that after the first shave several blades got sharper, sharper than Feathers! If you identify the blades for which these phenomena are applicable, pushing past that first shave will land you in a place of blissful comfort, often for a very lengthy period. It is not that such blades (Notably PIRs, Crystals, and GSBs) are uncomfortable for the first shave; it is that with a small amount of use they get materially better. I imagine that you can push them to that point using something other than your chin by stropping or honing. When I began shaving in the '60s I discovered that honing my Schick injector blades were much more comfortable if I ran them lightly across the edge of the porcelain sink!

As for your bad experience with the Blackbird, I agree that razors themselves do not require any breaking in. If you had issues with it, you might overcome them with extended use working on your technique for that particular razor, but if you already have found razors you like better, why bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the new blades and the search. Whether you subscribe to it or not, on some blades, predominantly coated blades, it is an established fact, and there are highly detailed photographs and measurements to support it. Those measurements and photographs disclose some fascinating things, such as that after the first shave several blades got sharper, sharper than Feathers! If you identify the blades for which these phenomena are applicable, pushing past that first shave will land you in a place of blissful comfort, often for a very lengthy period. It is not that such blades (Notably PIRs, Crystals, and GSBs) are uncomfortable for the first shave; it is that with a small amount of use they get materially better. I imagine that you can push them to that point using something other than your chin by stropping or honing. When I began shaving in the '60s I discovered that honing my Schick injector blades were much more comfortable if I ran them lightly across the edge of the porcelain sink!

As for your bad experience with the Blackbird, I agree that razors themselves do not require any breaking in. If you had issues with it, you might overcome them with extended use working on your technique for that particular razor, but if you already have found razors you like better, why bother?
My point is that I'm already in a state of "blissful comfort" with Polsilver and Astra SP on the first shave. I don't need to "push past that first shave" to achieve anything better.

Last edited by a moderator:
While a very sharp, well made blade can be "mild," I think that would depend on the razor it is used with, as well as whether the shave cream causes irritation with a rapier-sharp blade.

So, to me, this question equates to: What is an idiot-proof blade that is gentle, smooth, and doesn't slash and burn your face, regardless of razor used?

And the answer, which most folk here won't like because the blade is dirt cheap, is the Laser Ultra triple coated blade. In the 10+ years I have been using it, it has always provided a pleasant shave, with absolutely consistent quality.

It is not the sharpest blade, though, and some razors need a really sharp blade to shine. And it doesn't last long, typically about three shaves. If you want a one and done blade, at this price, this is the way to go.

I use the Laser Ultra to test new razors and shaving creams because it is such a known entity. If you can't get a good shave with this blade, consider changing razors. Seriously.

However, I have other, sharper, more efficient blades that I use more often. To me, a well-made very sharp blade can also be mild, provided you mate it with a well-designed razor.

Frankly, I do not use fancy-smelling shaving soaps that irritate my skin, so I don't have the problems with sharp blades some people seem to have. And I don't use the ultra-aggressive razors some people brag on -- don't need them with a good blade.

So, to me, the terms "mild" and "smooth" for razor blades are kind of meaningless. A well-made very sharp blade is also mild and smooth, in my book, used skillfully. Some people nit pick over the smoothness of stainless blades, vs. platinum or titanium coated. To me, that is only a momentary difference. What matters to me is if my face is irritated say, a half hour after the shave. I have used blades that do this, but not for long. They are in a box at the back of a drawer. Some of them are big name blades that are highly touted here, which makes me wonder if some of these folks have ever used a truly good blade, or just go along with the crowd.

If you can get a close, smooth, efficient shave with a blade, it doesn't matter what the blade costs, even if it is a cheap blade with no reputation -- it is still a good blade. You can spend 8x the price, but how much closer can you get than "close" -- without causing serious irritation?

I could be perfectly happy shaving with Laser Ultras every day for the rest of my life. However, I have several blades I like better.

But since you ask about "mild" blades, I thought I would throw this in the hat. The Laser Ultra triple coated blade also would make a great choice for someone starting DE shaving, perhaps with a DE89. They will never want to go back to cartridges.

I have recommended this blade before. This will be the last time I mention it. I figure recommending a blade three times or so should be more than enough. I don't want to seem like a tout. If you are interested in a particular blade, why not do a search of the archives?

Top Bottom