What's new

What's in your pocket today?

I can finally answer something besides the free bank (or other freebie marketing) pen.
Of course, Pilot Metropolitan will be the only answer I can give unless I buy a second pen in the future.

15562757-D6A7-4EFF-8F85-745203141D65.jpeg

View attachment 1281841

Muji inked with Red Beans & Rice
From Japan by way of Louisiana?

I hadn’t heard of Muji, so I looked them up. Strange business philosophy:
”[W]e do not make objects to entice responses of strong affinity,
like, ‘This is what I really want‘ or, ‘I must have this.‘
MUJI's goal is to give customers a rational satisfaction, expressed not with,
‘This is what I really want’ but with ‘This will do.‘
‘This is what I really want‘ expresses both faint egoism and discord,
while ‘This will do‘ expresses conciliatory reasoning.
In fact, it may even incorporate resignation and a little dissatisfaction.“
What is MUJI? - https://www.muji.com/us/about/

That Muji pen is a solid performer in the sub 25.00 space all day long.

A 30 sec look at the Muji website had me thinking a mix of a Japanese Ikea and a store call Uniqlo which is like a Japanese Gap.
I will spend some time on the Muji website.

I find that minimalist aesthetic attractive in certain fashion/household applications.

The clash comes with the fact that Ikea/Muji/Gap/Uniqlo all represent outstanding efforts at the intersection of quality and value where I am moving toward a buy top quality (on sale or even used sometimes) and cry once mindset.

YMMV

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That Muji pen is a solid performer in the sub 25.00 space all day long.

A 30 sec look at the Muji website had me thinking a mix of a Japanese Ikea and a store call Uniqlo which is like a Japanese Gap.
I will spend some time on the Muji website.

I find that minimalist aesthetic attractive in certain fashion/household applications.

The clash comes with the fact that Ikea/Muji/Gap/Uniqlo all represent outstanding efforts at the intersection of quality and value where I am moving toward a buy top quality (on sale or even used sometimes) and cry once mindset.

YMMV
I was being a Smart Alec with the IKEA comment, but I totally pick up what your puttin' down. I've read good things about the Muji stationary. I wonder who makes the fountain for them. Pilot, maybe?

TJ
No worries at all. I think you were spot on. The website has a monster Japanese IKEA vibe.

You thoughts re the Muji fountain pen having a connection to Pilot certainly seems plausible to me when you look at NOS Pilot "flighter" type pens for sale. Good eye.

Today I'm reviving the following:
Vintage Aurora 88 2cart with Waterman Harmonius Green
Vintage Aurora 88 888P with Parker Quink black

cute little pens. The 2cart still has some ink flow problems but I'm working on it :)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Lamy 2000 with R&K Salix. I admit, I'm not loving the Salix in this pen. I think we went from too wet to too dry. While the nib creep and firehose volumes of ink are now thoroughly diminished, so is the smooth and pleasant writing experience. It actually makes an audible "squeak" writing on Rhodia paper. To be fair, the shading on the Salix writing does look pretty great from this big, broad nib. But I think I can do better. I want to try Pelikan Edelstein next to see if that hits the sweet spot of "flow with control", but I'm really getting the feeling that the 2000 is going to like Lamy ink best.
1623858723780.png

Top Bottom