What's new

WHY a STRAIGHT razor?

I got tired of bashing my cartridge razor against the sink to unclog it. Its ALWAYS plugged.
Never clogs with a straight.
I. like bluesman 7, sharpen everything that needs an edge in my house. This includes barber shears, clipper blades any and all knives, gardening tools etc...
Nothing quite as nice as using very sharp items for things that need to cut.

For the simple fact that straight razor shaving provides the most comfortable and gentlest shave you can get. There are many other benefits but for me it is all about comfort.

For most people the learning curve is about 30 shaves to become competent. That’s one month of practice for a lifetime of vastly better results.

Compare this to walking vs riding a bike to work on a daily 5 mile commute. A bike costs more than a pair of shoes and takes some time to learn. On top of shoes you will need a pump, helmet and lock. You will have to pump the tires and oil the chain. Then there is an increased risk of injury if you fall off. On the face of it the bike is much more hassle. Why would anyone do it? And why does everyone that rides to work keep talking about how much better it is. You really have to try it to find out. The bike riders find it just as crazy as the walkers that someone would do it any other way.

Last edited:
It either calls to you, or it doesn't.

I spent 5 years with DEs and was quite happy with my shaves. But I found myself looking at straights and thinking, "Ooooo! Pretty!" and "So cool, but probably just not for me." Then my better half bought me a straight and it was off to the races for me (at age 57). Three years later and I'm shaving, honing, and restoring straights almost exclusively. (But I love me my GEMondays).

Yeah, it's a deep hole for those that are prone to such things... But so worth it IMHO.

It either calls to you, or it doesn't.

I spent 5 years with DEs and was quite happy with my shaves. But I found myself looking at straights and thinking, "Ooooo! Pretty!" and "So cool, but probably just not for me." Then my better half bought me a straight and it was off to the races for me (at age 57). Three years later and I'm shaving, honing, and restoring straights almost exclusively. (But I love me my GEMondays).

Yeah, it's a deep hole for those that are prone to such things... But so worth it IMHO.
I took the plunge in my mid 60’s with no regrets

I enjoy things that can be seen as odd and unnecessary…
Case in point…
1623810247344.gif

😆😂🤣

I know that chicks dig scars, but I suppose there are some who dig scares as well, I just question the wisdom of chasing your girl around the house with a straight razor and wearing a Halloween mask :death:
Gotta admit - that’s another fear of mine - a SR becoming a readily available “WOC” for one’s SO, should the need come about. 😈🔪🩸

I can easily imagine myself involved in some “John Wayne Bobbitt” scenario with a SR and some random chick. 😱🥶😵

Dude, you had me ‘til “Lather Catchers,” and “Rolls Razors.”

HUH? 😳🤔

Those are a niche inside a nice for the SE side of the house. Lather Catchers are a specific type of SE razor that looks like a GEM blade and Rolls are a type of auto strop with a fixed blade AFAIK. I've looked at those and they look great but I just haven't had to urge to try them, although I hear they are really smooth.

A SR shave feels like pure luxury to me. Partly the luxury of time: an unhurried, careful, considered shave. Partly the luxury of beautiful instruments with sharp handmade edges. Partly the luxury of the scents and sensations of brushes, soaps, splashes and balms. And partly the luxury of very comfortable shaves, where any irritation is purely self-inflicted.
Somebody get this S.O.B. a job as “head of marketing” for one of these SR manufacturers!

I’m SOLD! 💈🤗😆

For the simple fact that straight razor shaving provides the most comfortable and gentlest shave you can get. There are many other benefits but for me it is all about comfort.

For most people the learning curve is about 30 shaves to become competent. That’s one month of practice for a lifetime of vastly better results.

Compare this to walking vs riding a bike to work on a daily 5 mile commute. A bike costs more than a pair of shoes and takes some time to learn. On top of shoes you will need a pump, helmet and lock. You will have to pump the tires and oil the chain. Then there is an increased risk of injury if you fall off. On the face of it the bike is much more hassle. Why would anyone do it? And why does everyone that rides to work keep talking about how much better it is. You really have to try it to find out. The bike riders find it just as crazy as the walkers that someone would do it any other way.
Uber” is your friend (😉😆JK!)

@RicoSuave, by showing an interest in "why" about SR shaving, you are taking your first steps towards the gentlemanly art that it is. We are here for you to guide you along the path to shaving bliss if you decide to take more steps.
Don’t enable me, bro! 😳

Next thing you’ll know…, I’ll be checking out antique PEARL handled SRs on eBay, and looking up what type of horsehide is best to make STROPS from, and what’s the best oil to treat my SR with and…. 😳😳😳
1623811747094.jpeg

😳😆🤣😂

Thanks for the responses, fellas! 😊

I was half afraid most of you would accuse me of being some immature TROLL for even DARING to ask such a question.

Seriously, what I did NOT expect was an appreciation for its apparent GENTLENESS for those afflicted with SENSITIVE skin (as am I). 🤔

As one of those such afflicted, it’s given me another reason to further investigate this SR “underworld.” 🤔😊

Gotta admit - that’s another fear of mine - a SR becoming a readily available “WOC” for one’s SO, should the need come about. 😈🔪🩸

I can easily imagine myself involved in some “John Wayne Bobbitt” scenario with a SR and some random chick. 😱🥶😵
You’ve twice quoted a fear of loosing your penis as a reason to not try straight razor shaving. The way that you carry on suggests to me that your phallophobia is being exacerbated by a distinct lack of cojones. In your situation it’s best not to get into a car with strangers.

Top Bottom