What's new

Vanderhagen soap. Good, bad, meh?

VDH is a good to great soap for the money. I have had great shaves with it. It was my daily soap for a couple of years. I also love Williams my next daily driver soap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To my nose the scented Luxury soap is a clone of Grey Flannel. Grey Flannel is about as divisive as Arko's scent; it's very much love it or hate it. I happen to love it. In fact, I bought a bottle because of how much I liked the scent of the VDH scented Luxury soap.

That said, with VDH raising the price of the Luxury soap, it's no longer a good value, IMO. I'd much rather buy Proraso croaps/creams for $3-5 and then apply some Grey Flannel after I finish shaving.

Where are you finding Proraso for 3 to 5 dollars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I paid $2.88 for the VDH Luxury soap at Shop Rite last week. But that was a sale price. My wife loves to shop at TJ Maxx & Marshall's. Problem with those store is you never know what they are going to have in stock. But you can't argue their prices.

To my nose the scented Luxury soap is a clone of Grey Flannel. Grey Flannel is about as divisive as Arko's scent; it's very much love it or hate it. I happen to love it. In fact, I bought a bottle because of how much I liked the scent of the VDH scented Luxury soap.

That said, with VDH raising the price of the Luxury soap, it's no longer a good value, IMO. I'd much rather buy Proraso croaps/creams for $3-5 and then apply some Grey Flannel after I finish shaving.
That's odd. Where I am, VDH Luxury remains very cheap, $4 or even less with coupons. Proraso, on the other hand, has increased in price from $5 to $10, though sometimes it can still be found for less. Perhaps you and I should engage in some barter!

That's odd. Where I am, VDH Luxury remains very cheap, $4 or even less with coupons. Proraso, on the other hand, has increased in price from $5 to $10, though sometimes it can still be found for less. Perhaps you and I should engage in some barter!
I go to the local discount shops and search through the men's grooming goods for shaving goods. It's there that I've found Proraso for $3-5. I've also found Cremo and Nivea shave sticks for $2-5. Aside from that, my local stores, including drug stores and supermarkets, don't really carry shave soaps.

In fact, I can't even find VDH soaps locally; I have to order them online. Just a couple weeks ago, VDH's website listed the Luxury shave soap at $7, though it's now back down to $5. While I like VDH's Luxury shave soap, I'm not sure it's a good value at $5 a puck when I have found other really good shave soaps for less.

I get that VDH is trying to move upmarket, but if it's going to do that with the same line of soaps it sold for $3, that will only upset their original customers who realize they're being taken for a ride. What VDH should do is partner with an artisan soap maker to make a limited release of shave soap that VDH sells as a "Premium" soap. That would allow the brand to move upmarket, while not alienating customers by making them pay substantially more for the same thing they've been buying for years.

I go to the local discount shops and search through the men's grooming goods for shaving goods. It's there that I've found Proraso for $3-5. I've also found Cremo and Nivea shave sticks for $2-5. Aside from that, my local stores, including drug stores and supermarkets, don't really carry shave soaps.

In fact, I can't even find VDH soaps locally; I have to order them online. Just a couple weeks ago, VDH's website listed the Luxury shave soap at $7, though it's now back down to $5. While I like VDH's Luxury shave soap, I'm not sure it's a good value at $5 a puck when I have found other really good shave soaps for less.

I get that VDH is trying to move upmarket, but if it's going to do that with the same line of soaps it sold for $3, that will only upset their original customers who realize they're being taken for a ride. What VDH should do is partner with an artisan soap maker to make a limited release of shave soap that VDH sells as a "Premium" soap. That would allow the brand to move upmarket, while not alienating customers by making them pay substantially more for the same thing they've been buying for years.
I used to find Proraso at the discount stores, but not recently. Cremo I still see from time to time at a big discount. VDH is still quite the bargain, as I said above. I like them all, but I don't think any of them qualify as luxury products, and it would take more than upscale marketing to get me to change my mind. Proraso was my standard for a long time, but at its now higher prices, Tabac and Haslinger don't cost much more and for me perform better. VDH and Cremo are good for travel and I'll still use them. I see no need for the fancy 'artisan' brands, but if all these standards disappear or become pricey, I'll have to rethink that, too.

I used to find Proraso at the discount stores, but not recently. Cremo I still see from time to time at a big discount. VDH is still quite the bargain, as I said above. I like them all, but I don't think any of them qualify as luxury products, and it would take more than upscale marketing to get me to change my mind. Proraso was my standard for a long time, but at its now higher prices, Tabac and Haslinger don't cost much more and for me perform better. VDH and Cremo are good for travel and I'll still use them. I see no need for the fancy 'artisan' brands, but if all these standards disappear or become pricey, I'll have to rethink that, too.
I started off pretty much the same way. I recently began trying some artisanal soaps. I highly recommend Captain's Choice soaps and Barrister and Mann's soaps.

I started off pretty much the same way. I recently began trying some artisanal soaps. I highly recommend Captain's Choice soaps and Barrister and Mann's soaps.
Yes, those two brands and a couple of others would be the next step, if I needed to "move up." I've already tried a few of them. But I'm extremely happy with my shaves as it is. What I'd like to find is a better travel / convenience option, though I've tried some good ones.

Yes, those two brands and a couple of others would be the next step, if I needed to "move up." I've already tried a few of them. But I'm extremely happy with my shaves as it is. What I'd like to find is a better travel / convenience option, though I've tried some good ones.
For travel, you can either use a (commercial) shave stick or make one from Proraso by putting it in an empty deodorant container. Alternatively, you can get Proraso shave cream in the tubes.

For travel, you can either use a (commercial) shave stick or make one from Proraso by putting it in an empty deodorant container. Alternatively, you can get Proraso shave cream in the tubes.
Cremo comes in a travel tube size, and they have unscented, which I prefer, though imo Proraso is a better product. Proraso also makes a small plastic bottle of their aftershave balm. VDH, though not quite as good as either, comes in a plastic container with a flip top lid and so is good for travel too. I'm about to hit the road for the first time since March 2020, and I look forward to giving some of these a try.

Cremo comes in a travel tube size, and they have unscented, which I prefer, though imo Proraso is a better product. Proraso also makes a small plastic bottle of their aftershave balm. VDH, though not quite as good as either, comes in a plastic container with a flip top lid and so is good for travel too. I'm about to hit the road for the first time since March 2020, and I look forward to giving some of these a try.
I bought Cremo travel stick for about $2 or $3 at my local TJ Maxx. It's now in my travel kit. It provides excellent slickness but no cushion. That said, it still gave me some excellent shaves.

I bought Cremo travel stick for about $2 or $3 at my local TJ Maxx. It's now in my travel kit. It provides excellent slickness but no cushion. That said, it still gave me some excellent shaves.
Exactly right. But fine for "vacation shaves", which don't have to be as close, for me anyway. The problem with Cremo for me, and it isn't a big one, is that most of its scents are cheap-smelling, imo. They do have unscented, so that takes care of that. There are good artisan unscented soaps, too. I liked WSP Rustic, and I'll buy it again at some point.

The luxty soap (green box) I don't know what it is but no matter brush I use, I can't get a decent thick creamy lather. It takes time to get any lather which ends up thin and bubley What's the secret?

VDH Deluxe is a pour and melt, so I suspect that VDH Luxury would be a pour and melt as well—I had a half used puck of Deluxe, put it in an Old Spice mug, and microwaved it for a few seconds at a time until it melted and then cooled it in the refrigerator until it set up again. Kept the puck from rattling around in the mug though. I have the luxury that I haven’t tried yet, but once the Williams is gone I’ll use the mug that it’s in.

Top Bottom