What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Legion

Staff member
Picked up another German to match my JGES that I found a couple of months back. Seems like the same type of stone, but the slurry was a lot darker when I lapped it, almost black.

View attachment 1279039

it had a little bit of paper on the back that came off while I was lapping.
4D436621-DF8E-4E07-A476-1F880D9E2497.jpeg

A little detective work, and...

320A76E9-1187-4B64-801F-1B0A5F710C3B.jpeg

Well, I just found out that a stone I have is possibly a Thurnigian. In old, wooden box with some wormholes, hinge and clasp don't work, no labels, and it appears the stone may have been glued in the bottom of the bottom half of the box. The stone itself is 4-1/8 x 1-3/16.

Picked up another German to match my JGES that I found a couple of months back. Seems like the same type of stone, but the slurry was a lot darker when I lapped it, almost black.

View attachment 1279039

20210624_235529.jpg

Mail drop yesterday and it is a JGES to match yours! Same motley color, im glad it is different than my other two dark blues.

20210624_235757.jpg

After lapping flat I only tested it briefly last night but it is softer than my others. Having all three to compare at once is interesting. I can tell the JGES is softest and the SRD is hardest. My 2" wide one on the left is medium feeling and a favorite hone. It is a piece of a broken larger one from an old barber with proper saw marks and I actually prefer to use it over the SRD.

Now I need to find an affordable greenish one...

Holy Cow. I"ll under cut Steve and do $22. 😂 That is one of the best labels I have ever seen on one of those and that is the bigger size too. Enjoy that one. Looks like the label will remove easily too.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks all. The funny thing is this came from the flea market in a booth selling vintage women clothing. Casually asked if they had anything available, expecting a no, but they said “yes I have this stone I am selling for a friend”. Could not believe what I was seeing. Gave them the cash, did not even ask if they could do better on the price and scurried out of there. I hear 100’s of no’s before I score something good and 1000’s of no’s before something like this comes along. Thank the fun of the hunt, never take no for a answer

Holy Cow. I"ll under cut Steve and do $22. 😂 That is one of the best labels I have ever seen on one of those and that is the bigger size too. Enjoy that one. Looks like the label will remove easily too.

The label is fabulous, vivid colors. It is all ready to fall off. I will make a special case for It and put the paper under acrylic for protection. I have a small broken dual band Y/G I been saving a few years to make a rub stone for a special stone. I think this is the special stone

These are RAAARE. Just sold one (unlabeled and not Y/G) for like $300+. Seen two labeled ones in the past, and that's IT. If you want a >2" wide Thuri, these and some fairly uncommon 5x2.5" ones are it. Crazy score, Congrats.

Top Bottom