What's new

Old Man Rant

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I drive a lot for work, typically 4k miles per month and to avoid losing my mind I just ignore most things related to poor driving. Until this week, when I saw an 18 wheeler whip off a U Turn in the middle of the interstate. As he was turning in the Emergency Only U Turn he got caught in no man's land and half the trailer was sticking out in the high speed lane from where he was turning from. A semi in the north bound lane saw this stupidity and hit his 4 ways then slowed down to give Mr Stupid time to complete his incredibly reckless maneuver. The unreal part is that he could have driven 5 more minutes and got off at the next exit.
I have NEVER seen a trucker do this. Incredible.

I have NEVER seen a trucker do this. Incredible.

Me neither and I have been driving for 46 years.. I try think the possibility existed that there could have been a medical emergency, but the hospital was in the direction he was headed before he made the U turn. I have done some stupid things in my time driving, but this was one of the most reckless things I have ever seen. I was hoping a State Highway Patrol would have seen it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I drive a lot for work, typically 4k miles per month and to avoid losing my mind I just ignore most things related to poor driving. Until this week, when I saw an 18 wheeler whip off a U Turn in the middle of the interstate. As he was turning in the Emergency Only U Turn he got caught in no man's land and half the trailer was sticking out in the high speed lane from where he was turning from. A semi in the north bound lane saw this stupidity and hit his 4 ways then slowed down to give Mr Stupid time to complete his incredibly reckless maneuver. The unreal part is that he could have driven 5 more minutes and got off at the next exit.
Unbelievable but totally believable

Did he gave a how’s my driving sign. 🤣

Unbelievable but totally believable

Did he gave a how’s my driving sign. 🤣

I tried to look for the 1-800 how's my driving info, but I was doing my best not to get hit due to all the traffic coming to a sudden halt. It was just one of those days on the road. About an hour earlier I was on the same stretch of highway about 60 miles south driving in the middle lane going about 5mph over the speed limit. A car was in the left lane beside me and out of nowhere I heard a truck coming on my right. It was a guy in a F150 doing about 95mph. He passed us and to his misfortune a Trooper was clocking traffic. I saw him a couple miles uptake road getting a ticket. The days of driving fast due to Covid are done in my area.

I tried to look for the 1-800 how's my driving info, but I was doing my best not to get hit due to all the traffic coming to a sudden halt. It was just one of those days on the road. About an hour earlier I was on the same stretch of highway about 60 miles south driving in the middle lane going about 5mph over the speed limit. A car was in the left lane beside me and out of nowhere I heard a truck coming on my right. It was a guy in a F150 doing about 95mph. He passed us and to his misfortune a Trooper was clocking traffic. I saw him a couple miles uptake road getting a ticket. The days of driving fast due to Covid are done in my area.
The Main street in my little town is 50km/h and has been since I moved here over 25 years ago. Cops are often hiding on a side street so one learns just not to bother speeding.

Yesterday I was driving along near the speed limit (which is hard as I generally drive fast) and some idiot in a Mercedes is right up my butt and pulls around me giving me the finger as he flies by. Nailed by radar a few seconds later. It made my day. Karma is a b!tch!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I love drivers who want to go faster than Iam. I feel like they can take care of any tax collectors hiding in the bushes up ahead. One problem these days is most drivers are in a fog and drive at such various speeds it makes it harder to operate. If I’m overtaking a slower driver they notice me and speed up usually up by 20 mph so I have to increase my speed to overtake increasing my risk because as soon as I overtake they forget about me again and reduce speed by over 20 mph. I’m going the same speed yet they fade back in the distance. Or I approach a vehicle going slower and if they bother to move over right they do so increasing their speed by 20 mph. What’s the point of that?

Once speed cameras are adopted on the express way I’ll go bankrupt for sure. Posted speeds are set so artificially low to tax/ ticket and defeat human nature. Set speed limit at 50 so people will go 60. Don’t stop people until they are going 70. So the initial “50” was arbitrary in the first place and truly meaningless given the subjective enforcement.

I suppose the “solution” is to program vehicles to not exceed posted limits. (This doesn’t account for the loss of ticket revenue) The self driving car probably takes care of that. You can just nap as the car does it all.

I also agree that the COVID pause on not stopping drivers is unfortunately over 😕

:laugh:you forgot the bit about the health testing men have to get done around a certain age colonoscopy and the hassle that goes with it seen my gastric doc yesterday got good news and an alternate method of testing to that colonoscopy test

Well, the weird week of driving continued today. We were able to get our Covid vaccinations today and fortunately they were scheduled within 30 minutes of each other. My wife’s was first and as I was waiting for her in the parking lot I heard a loud bang beside me. Not totally unexpected as let’s face it, as age goes up driving skills go down. At first I thought it was someone driving a car over a curb and scraping the underside. That proved to wrong as I saw a car that had just crashed into the rear of another car. The weird thing is that no one was getting out to check. As it turned out the driver of car (A) forgot to put his car in gear or put on the parking brake( manual transmission) and his unmanned car rolled down a grade and hit the bumper of car(B). I got out of my car and took a picture to show security when I went in. As I was waiting for my turn to go in a younger guy in his 30s came out and you could see he was looking for his car. He found it alright. Smashed in the rear of the other car. The jerk looked around, got in his car and took off. I went in and got my vaccine and while waiting the 15 minutes I asked one of the nurses if they had security. I explained the situation and showed her the picture, when her face dropped. It was her car that got hit. I looked at her and said, “ This is your best / worst day.” I sent her pictures of what happed and she contacted the police to file a report.
Old man rant part: If you hit someone’s car and think you can get away with not owning up to it, think again someone is always watching.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Well, the weird week of driving continued today. We were able to get our Covid vaccinations today and fortunately they were scheduled within 30 minutes of each other. My wife’s was first and as I was waiting for her in the parking lot I heard a loud bang beside me. Not totally unexpected as let’s face it, as age goes up driving skills go down. At first I thought it was someone driving a car over a curb and scraping the underside. That proved to wrong as I saw a car that had just crashed into the rear of another car. The weird thing is that no one was getting out to check. As it turned out the driver of car (A) forgot to put his car in gear or put on the parking brake( manual transmission) and his unmanned car rolled down a grade and hit the bumper of car(B). I got out of my car and took a picture to show security when I went in. As I was waiting for my turn to go in a younger guy in his 30s came out and you could see he was looking for his car. He found it alright. Smashed in the rear of the other car. The jerk looked around, got in his car and took off. I went in and got my vaccine and while waiting the 15 minutes I asked one of the nurses if they had security. I explained the situation and showed her the picture, when her face dropped. It was her car that got hit. I looked at her and said, “ This is your best / worst day.” I sent her pictures of what happed and she contacted the police to file a report.
Old man rant part: If you hit someone’s car and think you can get away with not owning up to it, think again someone is always watching.
Wow
Well congrats to you for being aware
And taking the pic to then help her
All the while she’s helping people get the vaccine and this happens unbelievable

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Tailgaters! Especially clowns who drive right up your butt at night with their brights on high enough to give you a suntan. I swear I can sometime feel the heat reflected off my rear-view mirror.

As I am generally up and on the road for breakfast just before dawn, I'm more than happy to allow such characters to pass me and hit the lovely deer that haunt our roads up here.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Classic old man rant. Short version. Paid computer consultant says website and cloud email are completely separate so we can switch website host. We switch website host and email dies. So they are not completely separate. Hours wasted. Name server website bla bla bla
Maybe we should go back to paper!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
:laugh:you forgot the bit about the health testing men have to get done around a certain age colonoscopy and the hassle that goes with it seen my gastric doc yesterday got good news and an alternate method of testing to that colonoscopy test
Yes, I'm so glad there are alternatives to the scope. I'm on Coumadin, and as soon as the poop in a jar, box it up and send it to the lab choice became available, my Dr. ordered it for me. The scope is just such a hassle, what with going off Coumadin and going to the Heparin injections. This thing is I THINK better than 95% effective at catching cancers, and I imagine it's saved more than a few lives!

But the commercial with the walking talking box of "sample" material bothers me, lol!

...Old man rant part: If you hit someone’s car and think you can get away with not owning up to it, think again someone is always watching.

Until it's my car being damaged. I can't count how many times my cars have been bumped, dented, paint scratched, broken into, tires cut, etc. - and there's no working security cameras, the cops aren't around, nobody saw anything. I could get run over by a naked drunk and nobody sees anything but if I fart sideways I'll get arrested.
Just the side effects of being a stupendously attractive senior man I guess. :001_rolle

Until it's my car being damaged. I can't count how many times my cars have been bumped, dented, paint scratched, broken into, tires cut, etc. - and there's no working security cameras, the cops aren't around, nobody saw anything. I could get run over by a naked drunk and nobody sees anything but if I fart sideways I'll get arrested.
Just the side effects of being a stupendously attractive senior man I guess. :001_rolle
1987 I was driving a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It's parked outside of our apartment on the street. While I'm asleep (and shortly after last call at the tavern around the corner), a big yellow pickup plows into my Olds pushing the trunk all the way up to where the back seat used to be. Driver is able to drive away. 6 eyewitnesses, none able to get a plate number, solid vehicle turned into scrap. Of course, pre-cell phone and security cameras.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Reminds me of the old Jonny Carson joke. The guy who is seen writing the note for the car he just hit actually writes hi I just hit your car. These onlookers think I’m writing down my contact info and insurance. Sorry.

Top Bottom