What's new

Simpson Chubby 1 Super - Chunky Curls

Good day, everyone!

The subject of this post is something I’d expect would apply to a Thater Silvertip, but to my not at all unpleasant surprise, my Chubby 1 in Super appears to exhibit this phenomenon as well: curly tips that render the brush texture chunky (in clumps) when dry, but (as I’m sure I’ll find out next time it appears in the rotation) super soft when wet.

Just out of curiosity, is this typical of Simpson brushes these days? I’ve added a new Classic 2 and Duke 2 to the ‘ol rotation and their tips are just, well, regular (while performing beautifully as well.)

Cheers!

Attachments

• 3F0710DF-C681-4DFE-A485-C9C23D1AF7C8.jpeg
    3F0710DF-C681-4DFE-A485-C9C23D1AF7C8.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 84
  • 05739FE9-DECF-41C5-B297-12EB7FFD1032.jpeg
    05739FE9-DECF-41C5-B297-12EB7FFD1032.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 81
Curled tips are usual in brushes with very fine and soft tips.

There are a few course hoard I. That knot that I would trim out. I isolate these with a tweezer and then cut them as low as possible. I few stray hairs can really effect the feel of a brush.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It was not normal as far as I know for Simpson brushes to exhibit gel qualities but there have been posts lately that have suggested that may have changed with the current Super grade. I do not favour the Super grade but were gel tips to be introduced to the entire Simpson range then that would stop my purchase of new Simpson brushes as I cannot abide the face feel of a gel tipped brush. Of course some people love them and they have been in fashion for a few years, I had just hoped that Simpson were not going to follow the trend. 👍

Good day, everyone!

The subject of this post is something I’d expect would apply to a Thater Silvertip, but to my not at all unpleasant surprise, my Chubby 1 in Super appears to exhibit this phenomenon as well: curly tips that render the brush texture chunky (in clumps) when dry, but (as I’m sure I’ll find out next time it appears in the rotation) super soft when wet.

Just out of curiosity, is this typical of Simpson brushes these days? I’ve added a new Classic 2 and Duke 2 to the ‘ol rotation and their tips are just, well, regular (while performing beautifully as well.)

Cheers!

How long did you use it before you noticed the gel-like tips?

My Chubby1 Super Badger has the same gel-like tips and I am not happy with it.
I am a big Simpson fan and have many Simpson shaving brushes, but none of my brushes have the same hair as my Chubby1 Super.
I hope this is an exception and will not happen again.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

How long did you use it before you noticed the gel-like tips?

I noticed it after its first ever use. Crispy tips clumped together.

I used it for today’s shave and it performed beautifully! Effortless, really. Super soft, monstrous lather—which, I might add, it released without issue. I suppose it’s the Chubby 2 and 3 that are the infamous lather hogs? Perhaps the gelly tips help in this regard?

At any rate, this particular Chubby 1 in Super has me excited to try a #2 in same!

My Chubby1 Super Badger has the same gel-like tips and I am not happy with it.
I am a big Simpson fan and have many Simpson shaving brushes, but none of my brushes have the same hair as my Chubby1 Super.
I hope this is an exception and will not happen again.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Awww that’s a shame, really. I for one like the gel-like tips, but I can definitely see how they aren’t for everyone.

And now for my apology, gentlemen!

I left this thread hanging. Mea culpa.

I got preoccupied with some annoying life-related mundanities (nothing serious at all, but they left me lazy as) and then in time I forgot about the thread.

At any rate, I used my gelly Chubby 1 today and aside from being mightily impressed with it, it also reminded me of this thread and doing right by it.

Thanks for the replies, and happy shaving!

This definitely not typical of Simpsons - at least not in my experience. I am glad that you are happy with your brush - gel works well for some people. If I received a gel tip from Simpson, I would return it immediately for a traditional knot or a refund. Just not my thing, especially at premium prices.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
At any rate, this particular Chubby 1 in Super has me excited to try a #2 in same!
Simpson Super grade knots with gel tips seem to be the exception rather than the rule so I would not count on buying one with the same characteristics as your Chubby 1. Perhaps they are the result of a rogue batch of hair which is not up to the usual Simpson standard. Every man and his dog make gel tipped knots, the fact that Simpson do not is a key part of their attraction for me. YMMV.

Can someone describe the look and feel of gel tips? I have no point of reference since I only use Simpson brushes.

Can someone describe the look and feel of gel tips? I have no point of reference since I only use Simpson brushes.
To describe facefeel is a bit hard. The easiest way is to look after the wet brush has dried. The tips clump together in little spikes that feel very crisp and dry/pokey when you put it in your face. When they are wet the feel like a homogeneous soft mass not like a mass of bristles that are soft but have presence. The typical Yaqi brush - 2 Band for instance - is heavily treated. Get one for 15-20 bucks to have an example to measure your other brushes against or look at your dry brushes for overly curly and/or clumped tips.

I’ve had several super/silvertip brushes (Simpson’s/M&F/Thater) whose tips would clump after use. I don’t think such a thing makes them “gel tipped”. Only the chemical treatment (bleaching) of the tips makes a brush “gel tipped”. The clumping is epiphenomenal. And if it’s soft, well, it should be. Softness is a characteristic of good (or at least some) super/silvertip hair.

Why would someone gel tip a 3-band Silvertip hair to make it softer? It’s already the softest badger hair available. If I had to guess, I would say this is a natural quality of the specific batch, as pointed out by Mark in a similar thread

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Simpsons are not gel treating any Super Badger hair. If any Simpson hair warrants a slightly raised eyebrow for possibly being chemically treated in some way I would think it would be Manchurian hair, not 3 band hair. That said, I have neither proof nor even strong suspicion that any Simpson hair is adulterated in any way.

Simpsons are not gel treating any Super Badger hair. If any Simpson hair warrants a slightly raised eyebrow for possibly being chemically treated in some way I would think it would be Manchurian hair, not 3 band hair. That said, I have neither proof nor even strong suspicion that any Simpson hair is adulterated in any way.
Typically we would here discuss a Best brush that feels/looks like Pure ;)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
So many variables contribute to the quality of batches of badger hair. Climate and weather play a role, I assume. It seems to me that 3 band hair has been particularly good the past 2 years- Simpsons' Best right now is much better, and seems to be of more consistent quality, than what I was buying 5 or 7 years ago. I don't think Simpsons are totally responsible for that variability. The higher grades like SiLVERTiP and Manchurian are more consistent year to year... which also explains why they cost so much more than Best. It seems to me that Simpsons' business model is not to chemically treat hair as the finer grades become more difficult to procure. No, they just keep jacking the price.

So we're in a weird time- Simpson 2 band becomes ever more expensive, while their 3 band becomes ever more affordable. Unless Alrossa/Amazon ultimately destroy Simpsons, I can't think of a better time to be exploring Simpsons' 3 band brushes than right now. Quality and price are both outstanding right now.

I have a chubby 2 in silvertip 2band that was gelled. Gelled at the extreme actually.

I also have a classic 1 in ST 2band that I recall thinking was gelled but I don’t have it in the rotation much so I’m not sure. I’ll use it tomorrow and report back.

Top Bottom