What's new

Absolutely Painful

Do you think perhaps using a boveda pack would work at all?
I have used boveda packs in the past. I won a pile of tins from Jim in the Sue auction one year, and he threw in an open tin if ridiculously old Nightcap that was pretty crispy. I used the small 69% pack, and it took two refreshes until it got to a smokable condition.

Back to the post at hand...

Luckily I only one closet full of tins. I reorganize every year to get more tins Into boxes. The VA and Burleys box becomes just Virginia and I need a spot for the Burleys to go... There are now enough to s of Escudo to fill a box of just Escudo, etc.

But I look for signs. If it shows surface corrosion, I give it a light squeeze. If I see a bulge, I mentally reference it to try to get to sooner than later. There are quite a few tins that double as spinning tops.

Looking at that photo of the bottom sign of the tin, I need to check again. Those spots aren't as noticable as you think they would be!

Sorry Bill, I hope you can salvage it. FWIW my method for re-hydration is spread the baccy as thinly as I can on paper plates and cover with two layers of paper towels. Spray distilled water on the towels with a clean spay bottle until the paper towels are moist. stir baccy and re-spray as they dry out. I have had good results from this method. Good luck.

That's the trouble with rust specs. Knowing if it's just a tiny surface blemish, or signs of real trouble. Unfortunately, attemping to scour then off, promotes corrosion...

Not lost any pipe tobacco yet, but lost a few tins of snuff, which corroded from the inside out, and which don't have the paper separation that pipe tobacco does.
Well that was the only tin in my cellar of that type. Needless to say, I have checked the entire cellar.
Do you think perhaps using a boveda pack would work at all?
I think it would be too high of an RH pipe tobacco should be anywhere from 12 to 20 RH depending on the blend.

Sorry Bill, I hope you can salvage it. FWIW my method for re-hydration is spread the baccy as thinly as I can on paper plates and cover with two layers of paper towels. Spray distilled water on the towels with a clean spay bottle until the paper towels are moist. stir baccy and re-spray as they dry out. I have had good results from this method. Good luck.
Thanks. I think it’s going to work. I jarred it up after about three hours. I will test it next weekend.

I use dehydrated fruits to rehydrate herb. Apple wedges work nicely, dried in a dehydrator to a pliable leather consistency.
In my days of RYO cigarettes, I'd stuck a small wedge of potato in there. Does the same thing as apples, but instead of imparting an apple flavor, it's much much more neutral. It's still a very good trick.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I remember my dad used to keep a wedge of apple in his tobacco jar, which was opened somewhat frequently to fill his pipe. I don't believe he ever had tobacco for long term storage.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Without (hopefully) sounding too patronising, here's my take on the apple slice. It's too wet. Or at least, it's too wet for direct contact. The tobacco in contact gets too wet, too quick, (risk of spoilage) while the rest doesn't necessarily get the full benefit.

That said, I do use it.

I add a slice of apple, with the peel downwards in contact with the tobacco, and the uppermost flesh hydrating the air in the tin. I only use a slice of apple if I can be confidant that the flesh will neither contact the tobacco, nor the lid of the tin.

I have tried it in a puch, but wouldn't do that again personally. I don't like putting anything in pouches, as I always strive for indirect hydration, and there isn't the airspace in a pouch to do that. I'd rather prop the pouch open inside a tupperware box, and hydrate overnight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Dont you worry about mold forming on either the apple or the tobacco?

I have never tried it, but I do worry about introducing mold. All my stuff is jarred with the intent of long term aging even my regular rotation so, yeah, I use Bovedas.

Top Bottom