What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

A new something I just picked up in France, it is marked Brunie Ussel, which is likely not the brand but the cutler name and city.
2021_06_11.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Kikuboshi 45, soap was MdC agrumes lathered with a Keyhole 4, and a splash of Myrsol limon finished up a perfect shave. I bought this razor years ago, and nice ones back then were pricy but not excessively so. Recently I saw a NOS one go for an eye-popping price and TBH I never understood why. They’re a nice razor of course, but nothing is really special about them. I like it because of the shorter blade, very maneuverable over the hills and dales so to say.

770F2672-1063-44B7-B9C6-605C7145FEEA.jpeg

Robeson ShurEdge, Rochester, 16-C-250 (marked on tail)
One of the first wild projects I took on, with little success until yesterday. I was reluctant to remove a bunch of steel from a very hollow 6/8 razor using my 600 or 1200 diamond plates. Now I have a Naniwa Professional 1000 (new Chosera), which gave me the confidence to zip past those chips and turn it into an 11/16! Fit for my face at last.

Robeson also sold hones 'matched' to the various razors that fit the dozen faces they profiled in their booklet. They were proud of their hammered tangs, as well.

That is me, in the wide hat and overalls, profiled down below just before exposing my skin to the weather, while weeding the forest property with a 2 1/2 lb grub hoe. Good thing I got this razor working, almost two years after it joined the queue.

Today:
EDBCA6F5-C311-4130-B4CD-32E3835BBE2A.jpeg

Before:
B1D1B3FB-E75D-441F-825E-669C3F2A887A.jpeg

D583718C-E74D-4E3E-A38A-B90CC912DFE5.jpeg

3rd shave
IWASAKI 30 9 h
Swedish Steel
Refined edge on shobu mizu
Shave 2 was extremely sharp
Shobu tammed her down a tad
Still getting used to this tool
Ive never shaved with such a heavy dense blade
This steel is so hard it eats stones rocks and whatever you cab throw at it for lunch
////// hairs do not stand a chance
This is truly a master crafted tool of amazing workmanship by a master craftsmen

Soap Noble Otter Firefighter soap and splash

2 pass shave, bbs

proxy.php

proxy.php

Robeson ShurEdge, Rochester, 16-C-250 (marked on tail)
One of the first wild projects I took on, with little success until yesterday. I was reluctant to remove a bunch of steel from a very hollow 6/8 razor using my 600 or 1200 diamond plates. Now I have a Naniwa Professional 1000 (new Chosera), which gave me the confidence to zip past those chips and turn it into an 11/16! Fit for my face at last.

Robeson also sold hones 'matched' to the various razors that fit the dozen faces they profiled in their booklet. They were proud of their hammered tangs, as well.

That is me, in the wide hat and overalls, profiled down below just before exposing my skin to the weather, while weeding the forest property with a 2 1/2 lb grub hoe. Good thing I got this razor working, almost two years after it joined the queue.

Today:
View attachment 1280273
Before:View attachment 1280270
View attachment 1280265

I have a few Robeson razors (including one identical to yours with the hammer pattern on the tang) and have reviewed the booklet. One of the things that frustrates me is that they never explain what specific features are in each razor that makes it ideal for that particular face! And none of the PN match the PN on my razors either.

So, I have been on a bit of a Filarmonica bender...
Buying some Spanish steel instead of hunting for
Tanifuji's. I have sent out a couple to be honed and
will try to hone a couple myself. In the meantime, I was
looking for something hollow but with a little heft.
Enter my first SR, a 6/8 Ralf Aust in horn scales.
Assisted with some Arko pressed into an old caviar
jar and pickled in 4711 to upgrade the scent. Spread
about my jowls with one of my Finest brushes.

5769614C-5791-4B2C-8158-55C1EBE04AD9_1_105_c.jpeg

Please stop reading this post if sentimentality makes you feel uneasy.

This week's razor

2016 wasn’t a good year to me. My wife and my father, the two supportive pillars in my life, both passed away after having been dying slowly and very painfully over several years. In 2017 I was worn and mourning. The joy of my life was, and still is, my then eight year old son. I really had no idea what the future would be like or even if we be able to keep our house. At this point I got a package from the USA. I had no idea what it was in it or who the sender was. When I opened it I found a letter and this NOS Coral razor, a razor that I had been admiring for years.

The razor was a gift from a man named Royce that had become member of B&B about the same time as I. We had become friends over the years. He wrote that he knew that I liked the looks of the razor model and wanted me to have one. I still like the razor, and the kindness this gentleman showed me warms my heart to this day.

Today I am fine. We still live in the same house and I can and will continue to work part time for another year until the cub’s fourteenth birthday, this to spend time with him. He shall never doubt that even if he lost his mother in the most horrific way his old man will always be there for him.

End of story. I wish you all a very good week.

The "rings" on the toe of the blade is the reflection of the ceiling mounted bathroom vent.

coral3.jpg

Please stop reading this post if sentimentality makes you feel uneasy.

This week's razor

2016 wasn’t a good year to me. My wife and my father, the two supportive pillars in my life, both passed away after having been dying slowly and very painfully over several years. In 2017 I was worn and mourning. The joy of my life was, and still is, my then eight year old son. I really had no idea what the future would be like or even if we be able to keep our house. At this point I got a package from the USA. I had no idea what it was in it or who the sender was. When I opened it I found a letter and this NOS Coral razor, a razor that I had been admiring for years.

The razor was a gift from a man named Royce that had become member of B&B about the same time as I. We had become friends over the years. He wrote that he knew that I liked the looks of the razor model and wanted me to have one. I still like the razor, and the kindness this gentleman showed me warms my heart to this day.

Today I am fine. We still live in the same house and I can and will continue to work part time for another year until the cub’s fourteenth birthday, this to spend time with him. He shall never doubt that even if he lost his mother in the most horrific way his old man will always be there for him.

End of story. I wish you all a very good week.

The "rings" on the toe of the blade is the reflection of the ceiling mounted bathroom vent.

View attachment 1280582

Sorry for your losses and may God bless you and your son, God all ways provides and keeps us thru life valleys , we community appreciate you and your knowledge and helpful info in the shave community
Nice razor

Top Bottom