What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

Mine is red-white. Here Brush Acquisition Thread - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/brush-acquisition-thread.474363/post-11279553 But it is still in the palm lathering phase. Haven't shaved with it.
I have noticed that recently I am gravitating more to the 55mm models. My 49-50mm Omegas are getting a bit less use.

The red one definitely looks better than mine!

I have phases where I enjoy the 24mm/55mm Zenith/Omega boars, other times when I like the 23mm/48mm 10075.

I've been using my Goodfellas Wild Hog a few times, which is 26mm/57mm which is the biggest boar I own, but still very early days in it's breaking in phase.

I have other brushes, be it synths or Zenith boars, but more often than I always find my way back to my Omega boars, which are largely the cheapest brushes I own but the ones I enjoy using the most.

new Yaqi Beehive 24mm Synth (G5) compared to my Shavemac Beehive
first shave will be tomorrow
IMG_0484.jpg

On another forum I frequent, a friend of mine received the Yaqi on the left and it had 15mm glue bump and was unusable, check yours to see if the glue bump has been set an an acceptable level. If not then then send them a message and they will replace it.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm kind of blessed that way I never noticed a high glue bump in any of my brushes. This one is also no exception at least that's what I think.
Is there a foolproof way to test for it?
I can splay the brush on the palm of my hand completely without feeling a bump in the middle of it.

Maybe, from Paladin:
BRUSHOLOGY: ANATOMY AND NOMENCLATURE
Brushology: On Glue and Glue Bumps

You could just pinch the knot were it meets the handle, if there's a glue bump the center of the knot is unforgiving, hard. It's not a bad thing unless it detracts from the performance of the brush.
Pinching worked brilliantly, many thanks for the link. The only brush that didn’t pass was my Zenith Manchurian but the loft is high enough and it works great so it might even be intentional. The Yaqi Beehive is bump free anyway.

only £300 🤣

This one set me back £5. Well, $7 since I'm in the USA.
A6831760-9DCF-463E-8EB7-B568E1920600.jpeg

D1854450-BF50-496E-9686-5917FB396141.jpeg

Cute little Ever-Ready thing, about 80mm / 3 1/8" tall, 20x40mm knot. The (hard to see in the photo) code is '200BH', so it cost the original owner two bucks, back when two bucks was real money. (Not £300 real money!) The knot is clearly made of two components, a thin ring of banded boar (?) around a core of horse (??). The BH code would match that.

More research is in order, if I can get funding. £300 would cover it nicely, but I'll settle for something in the range $2-$7 if any of you brush plutocrats can open your wallets for SCIENCE!
391BC351-EF67-45C7-AFD7-988522D93A03.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm kind of blessed that way I never noticed a high glue bump in any of my brushes. This one is also no exception at least that's what I think.
Is there a foolproof way to test for it?
I can splay the brush on the palm of my hand completely without feeling a bump in the middle of it.

That sounds like it should be fine.

This is a picture of the one with a high glue bump.

IMG_20210521_192114.jpg

3 Omegas unknown to me arrived. Well, actually more than 3, because there is a 4th model I didn't photograph yet, and some of these I bought 2 pcs of each. So here we go.

IMG_20210611_161219.jpg

Omega 10072. It is not the most widely available model. At least 2 Internet sources give the wrong knot length for this brush as 50mm. I measured it at 48mm, so it is pretty small. Might make it as a travel brush.

IMG_20210611_161239.jpg

10810. Again a few Internet sources give the wrong knot length as 55mm. My measurements show 50mm. If I knew, I wouldn't buy that model. It has the handle like the 10081, but is shorter by 6mm.

IMG_20210611_161255.jpg

And finally the 11148. It is not very popular obviously. Mostly because of the cylindrycal handle design. I remember reading a review by a user last year, where he complained about the handle sliding out of his hand when wet. The moment I holded it in my hand it felt wrong. We'll see. 56mm knot. At least this one turned out to be the described length. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom