What's new

June 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This kind of introspection is wonderful and, I like to think, supported by the idea of GRUME because you can focus on what you have. In your case, you can focus on getting better with what you have. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, definitely. But it's quite a comedown to have to rely on mere development of lowly skills, like some poet starving in a garret, rather than just throwing money at the problem.

Still in
Ti blackbird, finally figured this razor out I think.
0608212128a.jpg

Day 9, still in.

IMG_20210609_085145754_HDR.jpg

This morning I had my first shave with the 'gillette old type clone' loaded with a new Gilette Nacet, and what a wonderfull shave this was. Smooth and efficient.
BBS without irritation.

As the razor is most likely from around the 30's (my father is born in '42) it is very very likely that this razor belonged to his father in law, my granddad... So sentiment +10
Very very happy with it.

Still in...gotta say this restraint thing isn’t easy. Especially when perusing B&B so much. There are so many things I “need!” Especially since this brush has had it. I’ll be replacing the knot after this month.

Preshave: TOBS
‘54 Super Speed
Feather (3)
Unknown badger brush
Tabac cream
Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum
Nivea Sensitive Skin balm

243BAAEE-2D7C-4E06-A2D7-274EB752B779.jpeg

Still in.

View attachment 1278560

Schick DE Razor
Bolzano Superinox (7)
Hans Baier Silvertip
TOBS Grapefruit
Fine Platinum

I have one of those Schick razors that I have never used. I picked it up at a thrift store a couple years ago for less than two dollars. Seems to be in really good shape and cleaned up well. I think mine is all black. Maybe I need to pull it out and give it a try.

Still in, must likely the last all White line Proraso shave

Prep : hot shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkod (3)

Result :

2 pass and clean up … well too much clean up, I knew to quit while I was ahead but got too conscientious and as a result got quite a bit of irritation.

Oh well there is always the next shave

I have one of those Schick razors that I have never used. I picked it up at a thrift store a couple years ago for less than two dollars. Seems to be in really good shape and cleaned up well. I think mine is all black. Maybe I need to pull it out and give it a try.
You probably have a Schick Krona, and YES you do.
I got mine in a lot when I was bidding on a Gillette Rocket HD, cost me almost nothing.

Still in, another pleasant shave with the Rocca and the last shave with Fine L'Orange Noir in my current rotation.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base).

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Hylamide SubQ Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Muhle Rocca
- Israeli Red (2)
- Zenith 80B Boar

Still in

I don’t change finishers often but I’m back on the hazy katsumi finish of the Japanese Natural. There is something quite special about how these stones produce such a sharp and comfortable edge.

I got a little disenchanted with some stones a while back. This was after sharpening up some new razors with varying degrees of success. What I’ve come to learn is that creating a sharp edge and maintaining a sharp edge are two different things. Maintenance is pretty easy compared to the initial establishment.

Long story short, the Jnat is back in my good books (for touch ups). I’ve even come to like the slight side to side slope of the stone. This used to bug me but I come to see it as an advantage. Using the stone with the slope falling into the blade, it holds water and slurry beautifully. Using it with the fall away from the blade it useful for diluting slurry in the final stages.

B642798A-3868-42E9-8E5C-8081DE07B2F7.jpeg

Top Bottom