What's new

Synthetic Summer

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, June 9th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, well built with great design, 316 Stainless steel construction, easy to load and unload blades. I receive usually excellent results, might be a good daily driver for some folks.
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson sword salon (1) excellent blade sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Low cost blade from what I recall.
Soap: Speick, nice spicy scent with excellent lather qualities + triple milled.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my RR Lupo 72+ Gillette Wilkinson sword blade.
Brush collage, June 9th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Never the less I have put it back into rotation and will use it some more before I give my final verdict - so thanks @Cesare

You’re welcome! I’m curious but, for now, my money is on your other brushes.

This thread and @SterFry ‘s suggestion about the Everest got me to AliExpress. I couldn’t resist the price (or lack thereof...) and pulled the trigger on a defective Yaqi with fibers that look similar to the Trafalgar ‘s. Not the Everest, though.

US$ 6 (SIX!!!), shipped to my door in Brazil! If I order anything from the US or Europe, shipping alone will cost US$ 10, minimum! The Everest was U$ 19 (without defects, brush plus shipping).

F2A7D59F-09B0-4B81-BAEB-6334268C2C2B.png

RR Bruce synth brush
RR SLOC + WCS 84s handle (George Jetson Edition)
Feather (1)
PAA Ice Cube 2 pre-shave soap as stick
Haslinger Schafmilch as stick + Don Marco soap
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya
Proraso Green Balm

The RR Bruce (Little Bruce) is one I don't use too often, but coming back to it, I'm really not sure why. Everyone says the Plissoft knot is last-generation and obsolete, but I don't think that's really true. Sure, there is not a lot of backbone, despite that it did a fantastic job today. For the $9 this cost, it's impossible to complain.

You’re welcome! I’m curious but, for now, my money is on your other brushes.

This thread and @SterFry ‘s suggestion about the Everest got me to AliExpress. I couldn’t resist the price (or lack thereof...) and pulled the trigger on a defective Yaqi with fibers that look similar to the Trafalgar ‘s. Not the Everest, though.

US$ 6 (SIX!!!), shipped to my door in Brazil! If I order anything from the US or Europe, shipping alone will cost US$ 10, minimum! The Everest was U$ 19 (without defects, brush plus shipping).

View attachment 1279208
If you are set on Yaqi I can wholeheartedly recommend the Rainbow Pony.

Since @Owen Bawn helped me jump down the rabbit hole on encouraging me to get the beagles as my first higher end badger purchase and I actually did start my month with a synthetic brush I should probably jump in on this thread...
Started off the month with Poraso green, my KCG razor loaded with a Derby premium blade and the Shave Nation black synthetic brush, which was the first one I purchased.
Others in the rotation so far are the Omega S brush, Omega Hi brush, and the Boreal brush I got as a nice gift from West Coast Shaving.
PXL_20210610_014447629.jpg
PXL_20210610_014821327.jpg

SLOC + Super Knurl handle
Feather (2)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia synth brush
PAA Ice Cube 2 pre-shave soap as stick
Haslinger Schafmilch as stick + Omega Eucalyptus soap
Dickinson's witch hazel with Pereja Limon Kolonya
Proraso Green Balm

I used to think the Sagrada Familia with tuxedo knot was a bit too stiff and hard to splay, it felt like you were fighting with it to get what you wanted from it. I have since discovered how to get the best results with this brush! Just load a crap-ton of soap! Fortunately, I have an overabundance of soap to use...
😅

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thur, June 10th 2021

Razor: Razorock Game changer.84, Mfg 2018> excellent milder side mid range, well made Stainless steel, smooth shaver, I enjoy this razor with my Kai SS blade.
Blade: Kai SS(7)- sharp & smooth with great longevity, extra wide blade by .009" thousands of a inch than a standard Gillette giving more blade feel.
Soap: Razorock XXX, nice refreshing clean scent with excellent lather qualities. One of my favorites.
Brush: Razorock 24mm Plissoft, excellent lather generator, soft tips, nice scrub + excellent lather painter. 4 years ago top of the line synthetic brush but Oh how times change so quickly. I used this inexpensive brush a lot over the last 3.5 years and still use it.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX:001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper(operator error)= :a17: excellent shave with my RR GC.84 with a Kai SS blade.

DE SOTD, Thur, June 10th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Late post.

I jumped back into Synthetic Summer with the PAA Solar Flare. The Solar Flare made amazingly plush lather with Haslinger Schafmilch. I completed three passes with my MMOC #3 and finished with Skin Bracer for a DFS/BBS shave.

The Solar Flare is a fantastic brush. It cannot be compared to a great Badger brush or excellent broken in Boar brush. It has to be experienced and judged on its own merits. It is incredibly soft on the face, holds a lot of soap or cream, splays easily, and generates copious amounts of lather via face or bowl lathering. It is different and simply wonderful.
0030EEB4-7841-4127-B218-8ED4821D8F98.jpeg
B33720C4-C82F-4EB9-99BD-3A63DDC50665.jpeg
4704499D-0C35-4A6B-A35B-0D6F2C7B1F2E.jpeg
2B55447D-DA74-4535-A315-21C3CBF6F0A8.jpeg

Top Bottom