What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm evaluating yesterday's shave (having not shaved this morning) in terms of three things.
  1. Did the shave persist thus showing it was close overall? Yes! I'm not saying it was BBS nor that I don't need a shave today, but it was a shave which lasted.
  2. Was the shave smooth in my most difficult area, the soul patch? Yes, going by how it looks and feels now the SP was as close as anywhere else + I noticed no SP stubble yesterday.
  3. Was the shave comfortable during the shave, immediately after the shave, and since the shave? Yes to all three. (I had a bit of face discomfort but I'm sure that was a trace of sunburn; nothing to worry about in any department as it was so minor; just reporting.)
Maybe I'm making progress with the Timeless Ti 95 OC. It was my best shave so far with the razor.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday. Fixing to go to the beach in a few minutes but shaved first.

6-6-21.TopsailBeachKit.640.95OC.JPG

Right above the razor you can see a blurred and distant image of the cabana my wife purchased for the trip. I've been very pleased with it as has she. Much better than two rented umbrellas and a better deal financially too.

The really great thing about the Timeless Ti 95 OC is how smooth it is, and how non-aggressive. It does not seem able to bite me (knock on wood) or cause a weeper, but it is also pretty efficient. Due to the mildness of the razor I can go over and over on the areas I need to approach many times without worrying much at all about overdoing things. I'm sure this has its limit, but the limit is way up there going by my experience in recent days.

I'm using a steep angle and a very light touch.

6-5-21.TopsailBeach.LookingWest.640.JPG

Took this photo while on my walk around noontime yesterday. It was a bit too warm for me to be walking, but there I was. Later the temp on the beach dropped so I put on a sweat suit (nobody else on the beach followed my lead).

I would like this razor to be a bit more efficient (for my soul patch). I'm not sure a razor this smooth and this non-aggressive and also more efficient exists (but it's possible I already own one as I have several I've not used or thoroughly explored).

I've used HA and will use my moisturizer and splash.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was a little bit experimental.

6-8-21.TimelesTti95OC.RV-D01.Vitos.640.@Topsail.JPG

The experiment was using my tongue to push forward my soul patch area. It resulted in a smooth shave in that area, but also in three little weepers. Perhaps I can improve upon those mixed results.

Otherwise I did a lot of shaving. After the first lathering, I held the brush in my left hand and applied lather frequently to areas I felt might benefit from a bit of Vitos.

I'm getting better with the Timeless Titanium 95 OC, that's for sure. In my view, it is a very good razor. I'm sure part of its goodness is because of how it so rigidly holds the blade (paging Mike @Esox and others). I know it doesn't have the largest gap in Razor World but a 95 is no slouch in the Gap Department. You'd never know there's any gap at all with this razor.

I had to go way out of my way to get minor weepers. Bites with the 95 OC? Zero so far. Threats of bites, the same.

Applied hyaluronic acid, my moisturizer, and my splash.

Think I'll go to the beach...

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm sure part of its goodness is because of how it so rigidly holds the blade (paging Mike @Esox and others). I know it doesn't have the largest gap in Razor World but a 95 is no slouch in the Gap Department.

Blade support and gap. The best of both worlds? Or with the blade supported the way it is, is the gap not really gap?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know it doesn't have the largest gap in Razor World but a 95 is no slouch in the Gap Department. You'd never know there's any gap at all with this razor

Do we know how much blade exposure that razor has? I'm guessing neutral to slightly positive.

I've been testing the blade gap theory my last few shaves.

First shave with a Slim on 6 and a fresh Derby Extra. Great shave, three passes one left jawline cleanup, 9 hour BBS. Then I loaded a fresh Polsilver in the same Slim, left it on 6 and repeated the same shave. Polsilver is more blade than Derby Extra and my skin suffered because of it. I was much more aware of the blade and had to lighten pressure considerably but it was, seemingly, a very smooth shave with a >9 hour BBS.

Last night I flipped and loaded the same Polsilver and used my Grande. My Slim is smooth? My Grande defines smooth. However, because I've been using my Slim and theres so much more blade exposure with my Grande, I tended to drop the angle so I could feel less blade along my jawline. Both right and left side wernt quite BBS, It's been a while since I used my Grande and I'm, once again, asking myself why it's been so long.

For me, less gap is clearly better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do we know how much blade exposure that razor has? I'm guessing neutral to slightly positive.

I've been testing the blade gap theory my last few shaves.

First shave with a Slim on 6 and a fresh Derby Extra. Great shave, three passes one left jawline cleanup, 9 hour BBS. Then I loaded a fresh Polsilver in the same Slim, left it on 6 and repeated the same shave. Polsilver is more blade than Derby Extra and my skin suffered because of it. I was much more aware of the blade and had to lighten pressure considerably but it was, seemingly, a very smooth shave with a >9 hour BBS.

Last night I flipped and loaded the same Polsilver and used my Grande. My Slim is smooth? My Grande defines smooth. However, because I've been using my Slim and theres so much more blade exposure with my Grande, I tended to drop the angle so I could feel less blade along my jawline. Both right and left side wernt quite BBS, It's been a while since I used my Grande and I'm, once again, asking myself why it's been so long.

For me, less gap is clearly better.

Here's the post on the Timeless 95 blade exposure. It's not tiny, and not huge. I can feel the blade a little bit. More when it's ATG of course.

In that same post the gaps and blade exposure for the Karves are also listed. Those, too, are razors holding the blade in a very rigid manner.

Mike, I'm certainly one to historically have not been a fan of much gap having said many times that less is better. I'm not entirely sure there aren't factors beyond gap and blade exposure and rigidity about which I'm clueless.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was good.

I have the day right today. Apparently, I thought yesterday was Tuesday. Not that it mattered to me.

6-8-21.Ti95OC.TopsailBeach.Kit640.JPG

My plan was to persist with the Timeless 95 OC unless it bothered me too much in which case I brought with me the Bronze 38 plate. The 95 OC has persisted in being very easy to get along with gear.

topsail-beach-2021.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.theBeach.640.JPG

I've been right pleased with my shaves and my skin. Maybe it's the beach water and air?

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday's shave was good.

I have the day right today. Apparently, I thought yesterday was Tuesday. Not that it mattered to me.

View attachment 1278638

My plan was to persist with the Timeless 95 OC unless it bothered me too much in which case I brought with me the Bronze 38 plate. The 95 OC has persisted in being very easy to get along with gear.

View attachment 1278639

I've been right pleased with my shaves and my skin. Maybe it's the beach water and air?

Happy shaves,

Jim

The beauty of the location sure doesn't hurt. ;)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Here's the post on the Timeless 95 blade exposure. It's not tiny, and not huge. I can feel the blade a little bit. More when it's ATG of course.

That translates to +.002" blade exposure. Not a lot but at least its positive.

The .095 gap I'll also assume is mm which translates to .037". Compared to a Slim on 9 below.

I dont have a proper set of feeler gauges but I do have a dime. A Canadian dime is .049" thick and fits tightly under the blade edge of my Slim on 9.

From that I'd guess the Timeless .95 to have roughly the same gap as a Slim on 6 but be slightly more efficient and smoother. I might be okay with that but its hard to say. I know I'd be wanting more blade exposure.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That translates to +.002" blade exposure. Not a lot but at least its positive.

The .095 gap I'll also assume is mm which translates to .037". Compared to a Slim on 9 below.

From that I'd guess the Timeless .95 to have roughly the same gap as a Slim on 6 but be slightly more efficient and smoother. I might be okay with that but its hard to say. I know I'd be wanting more blade exposure.

Not me. It has plenty of whatever is required to get it done.

Not saying I have any idea what the magic formula is, but this razor is pretty tasty. I suspect there are several recipes which work in the end to deliver a good shave.

I don't know all the ingredients much less the ratios.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not saying I have any idea what the magic formula is, but this razor is pretty tasty. I suspect there are several recipes which work in the end to deliver a good shave.

When the honeymoon is over, swap the same blade into your FOCS and see is it really is true love.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When the honeymoon is over, swap the same blade into your FOCS and see is it really is true love.
Yes please

Absolutely.

As far as I can tell, the Timeless Ti 95 OC is definitely more efficient than the FOCS in the sense that the final outcome is a closer shave (closer to BBS, longer lasting).

One really nice bit of information to report is the fact that I seem to be able to go over and over places, from many different angles, without causing discomfort during or after the shave. This is not something I could report to that degree with any razor I've previously used.

If tells me the Timeless Ti 95 OC is mild?

Or, maybe it tells me the water at the beach is vastly better for shaving purposes than the water in my shave den at home.

The gold standard for me is the FOCS. I know how good it is. Good as in daily driver good. Good as in smooth. Good as in efficient.

I'd like something more efficient though. Without losing the daily driver smooth qualities.

Perhaps the Timeless Ti 95 OC is going to turn out to be a new gold standard titanium standard razor. If so, everyone should realize what the FOCS costs and what the Timeless goes for ($255 without the stand).

Am I the only one flabbergasted to see some SS razors - like this H&S - running $500 these days? Fatips and RR razors and Karves and such (and even Timeless) are such bargains relative to some available SS razors.

If it were only efficiency I cared about I'd be using the iKon Tech!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Used the Ikon TEK today with a Wizamet Super Iridium blade today and got an absolutely phenomenal shave. :thumbup:

My technique must be improving. ;) 🤣

Must be, David. I saw your iKon Tech posting - smooth & not irritating - which spoke volumes about my technique last time I used the iKon Tek.

2:8:21.RV-IBO.iKonTech.Vitos.640.JPG

It's efficient, probably a bit more efficient than the FOCS. I can use it, and have, but I can't say I've much enjoyed the iKon Tech. To me, it just about epitomizes aggressive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Must be, David. I saw your iKon Tech posting - smooth & not irritating - which spoke volumes about my technique last time I used the iKon Tek.

View attachment 1278902

It's efficient, probably a bit more efficient than the FOCS. I can use it, and have, but I can't say I've much enjoyed the iKon Tech. To me, it just about epitomizes aggressive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Ikon TEK certainly can be aggressive if my technique is even a little bit off.

This time I used the Wizamet S.I. blade, a steep angle and kept my technique focused and direct (no fancy stuff trying to get my "problem areas" smooth). I actually had very little touchup work for the Schick Type I2 Hydro-Magic around my nose, mouth (including the "soul patch") and jawline.

The thing with the TEK is that the Ikon B1 Standard is also really efficient (but not as efficient as the TEK) and is more manageable. I like both razors but use the B1 Standard more than the TEK.

Hope this helps. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Ikon TEK certainly can be aggressive if my technique is even a little bit off.

This time I used the Wizamet S.I. blade, a steep angle and kept my technique focused and direct (no fancy stuff trying to get my "problem areas" smooth). I actually had very little touchup work for the Schick Type I2 Hydro-Magic around my nose, mouth (including the "soul patch") and jawline.

The thing with the TEK is that the Ikon B1 Standard is also really efficient (but not as efficient as the TEK) and is more manageable. I like both razors but use the B1 Standard more than the TEK.

Hope this helps. :)

All your posts help. It helps that you're clear and that I have some understanding of what you like and why you like it.

How often do you use the Hydro-Magic to do any touch up work?

It's been a very long time since I used SE razors, but that doesn't mean I don't like 'em. I particularly like the Schick L3 and the Schick E2 open to clean. Perhaps my favorite AC platform razor is the DLC SS Hawk.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom