What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

Coco Van Porter with dinner and opened up a bottle of vintage port for desert (oatcakes and cheese)

Attachments

• 20210607_230939.jpg
    20210607_230939.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210607_215626.jpg
    20210607_215626.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210607_215609.jpg
    20210607_215609.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 4
Exactly! Several months ago I looked for variations on the Manhattan. I saw a recipe for Black Manhattans with Averna Amaro. My local liquor store didn't have Averna (...after looking high and low! She swore she had it!) and suggested Cynar. I saw online that Cynar is an acceptable substitute and went for it. There is a slight bitterness on the finish like Campari gives to the Negroni that I like now and again. I don't believe I have used the Cynar in any other drink, so the bottle is still 3/4 full.

Edit: I see I used the Cynar in a Whiskey Thyme cocktail a little while ago, too.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Exactly! Several months ago I looked for variations on the Manhattan. I saw a recipe for Black Manhattans with Averna Amaro. My local liquor store didn't have Averna (...after looking high and low! She swore she had it!) and suggested Cynar. I saw online that Cynar is an acceptable substitute and went for it. There is a slight bitterness on the finish like Campari gives to the Negroni that I like now and again. I don't believe I have used the Cynar in any other drink, so the bottle is still 3/4 full.
Interesting, I’ll have to look for some, how does it compare to Campari on the bitterness scale? Campari is almost too bitter for me. I keep a bottle around just to make an occasional Negroni for a buddy I have that loves them. I can do a G&T but that’s about as bitter as I like to go.

I'd say they are very similar in terms of bitterness. I just tasted a fraction of an ounce of each. I wonder if you could find a nip to give it a try once, though I don't think I have seen a tiny bottle.

I'd say they are very similar in terms of bitterness. I just tasted a fraction of an ounce of each. I wonder if you could find a nip to give it a try once, though I don't think I have seen a tiny bottle.
I've always wanted to try it on its own too, have only ever had it in a few cocktails. The fact that its made with artichokes has had me intrigued since day 1.

I’d go with the Rock Hill Farms, but it doesn’t look like it has been opened. I can’t believe the price those bottles are selling for now. I think I paid $75 for the bottle I have but that was 5yrs ago.
I am conflicted about the Rock Hill Farms as it was a birthday gift from my best friend. I told him I would not open it until we could get together to share it but unfortunately shortly thereafter he found out he had pancreatic cancer and we never got a chance to share a drink before he passed on.........

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I am conflicted about the Rock Hill Farms as it was a birthday gift from my best friend. I told him I would not open it until we could get together to share it but unfortunately shortly thereafter he found out he had pancreatic cancer and we never got a chance to share a drink before he passed on.........
Sorry about your loss. My dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Ca just over a year and half ago. So far he’s beating it, but we know that without some sort of miracle it will eventually take him. Is your friend laid to rest somewhere close. I’ve gone and had a drink with friends that I’ve lost just to reminisce about old times. It sounds kind of corney and I probably got the idea from some movie I watched long ago, but it really was therapeutic for me.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Someone in the Speakeasy mentioned Rum & Pineapple juice. I’m thinking I might try that tonight.

Any tips on how to mix it? 1oz Rum, rest Pineapple and ice? I also have some frozen pineapple chunks, was thinking of tossing in a few of those.

Finally found a bottle of creme de violet at Total Wine, El Paso. I enjoyed Aviation cocktails aboard the Norwegian Epic on a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise. My wife and I had the same reaction: it’s not very purple. Flavor is great. Good gin, fresh lemon juice, exotic liqueurs…what’s not to like?
C70AB893-C1FB-47DA-985D-8696279B8C3E.jpeg

Top Bottom