What's new

Rockwell 6S Plates

I own my 6S since March and have been experimenting with plates. R1 works as long as pull my skin taut and as long as I shave every day. 6S R1 is the only razor I have had where cuts are impossible.
I typically do not shave on weekends and on rare occasions skip a week. For 1-day stubble, I prefer R2 - very comfortable and quick. Still haven't found out whether R3 or R4 is best for 3+ day stubble, but I definitely feel R5 too much.

I tend to hang out with the R4 plate for routine, every-other-day shaves. If I go an extra day between shaves I might use the R5 for the first, WTG pass and follow up with the R4 to finish.

I use the R4 for shaving every day or so, the R3 if I happen to be sore from an unusually irritating shave, often the result of trying a new blade or cream that doesn't agree with me, and I might use the R5 in the unusual event I haven't shaved in three or more days. The R6 has never been comfortable, and the R1 and R2 barely cuts anything at all on me.

I figured the R1 and R2 are for new, adolescent shavers or men with really, really fine hair, body shavers, or women. YMMV.

When I'm using this razor in my weekly rotation I usually use plate 4 & occasionally 3. But last time I used it on plate 4 it followed a lighter razor & I must of used to much pressure & left my face irritated.

When I'm using this razor in my weekly rotation I usually use plate 4 & occasionally 3. But last time I used it on plate 4 it followed a lighter razor & I must of used to much pressure & left my face irritated.

Anytime you use a razor & blade combination that is not efficient enough for your beard, there is a tendency to add a little extra pressure to compensate. If you skin is sensitive, that may be a bad idea.

The same thing can happen if you try to use a blade a little longer than its capability for your beard and skin.

Those with less sensitive skin might be able to get away with doing that, but it sounds like your skin is too sensitive.

Anytime you use a razor & blade combination that is not efficient enough for your beard, there is a tendency to add a little extra pressure to compensate. If you skin is sensitive, that may be a bad idea.

The same thing can happen if you try to use a blade a little longer than its capability for your beard and skin.

Those with less sensitive skin might be able to get away with doing that, but it sounds like your skin is too sensitive.

Thanks but I don't have sensitive skin. I'm capable of shaving every day with a razor like my GC .84 with no issues. I tend to use the same razor for about 1 to 2 weeks straight. The problem I have is readjusting to a new razor in my rotation. Specially if I'm going from a light weight to a heavier weight. Some times it takes me a shave or 2 to readjust.

Rockwell states that # 6 is for a thick beard. I'm wondering if # 6 can handle the monthly overgrowth

Several years ago, I shaved off a monthly beard with a Feather Popular. The longest I have skipped shaving using the 6S is 8 days, to compare it to FOCS. 6S@R4 had no issues whatsoever, you don't need an open comb or a straight for a long beard.

Top Bottom