What's new

Tallow makes shaves worse?

I tend to find Arko drying as well, I think that's due to the coconut oil and it probably lacks super fats like a lot of more expensive soaps with better PSF. Not that this is a deal-breaker for it, as it is a good soap at a great price. As for tallow, most people find tallow soaps to be moisturizing in the PSF, but again, it probably has to do with super fats to balance the more drying surfactants*.

*Note: this assumes that the soap doesn't also include butters and waxes like lanolin and shea etc

I’ve been using valobra the past week, a wonderful tallow soap, and i can safely say not all tallow soaps are super fatted moisture bombs. Valobra gets the job done, doesn’t leave my face dry, but it’s not super moisturized like say if I used Mitchell’s wool fat. Ie, it’s pretty perfect: not too little, and not too much, and very slick.

A soap I think that comes close to valobra in performance is tabac, which is also tallow based.

And mike’s is really good too, but it moisturizes a bit more.

I’ll be using dr Harris this week to compare to the valobra, see who comes out on top. And then cella after that, rotating through the classics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using valobra the past week, a wonderful tallow soap, and i can safely say not all tallow soaps are super fatted moisture bombs. Valobra gets the job done, doesn’t leave my face dry, but it’s not super moisturized like say if I used Mitchell’s wool fat. Ie, it’s pretty perfect: not too little, and not too much, and very slick.

A soap I think that comes close to valobra in performance is tabac, which is also tallow based.

And mike’s is really good too, but it moisturizes a bit more.

I’ll be using dr Harris this week to compare to the valobra, see who comes out on top. And then cella after that, rotating through the classics.

Valobra is my favourite soap, including AOS old formula w/tallow, I found DRH rather disappointing tbh, but I find Cella a solid performer. Enjoy the classics.

Valobra is my favourite soap, including AOS old formula w/tallow, I found DRH rather disappointing tbh, but I find Cella a solid performer. Enjoy the classics.

Used DRH lavender today, think it’s spectacular equal or slightly better than valobra. It’s a little softer though so I suspect that might be because I used more product, so will dial it in.

Used DRH lavender today, think it’s spectacular equal or slightly better than valobra. It’s a little softer though so I suspect that might be because I used more product, so will dial it in.

I'll have to break out my puck of Arlington again and see if I have more luck now.

Throw all your other soaps away, I did, and use Ethos, MDC & Canada 🇨🇦

That should end the discussion. YMMV. Lol. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Doug

Throw all your other soaps away, I did, and use Ethos, MDC & Canada 🇨🇦

That should end the discussion. YMMV. Lol. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Doug

Sorry, but that all depends upon your preferences in a soap. I tried a sample of Ethos, but was not impressed. I have soaps costing half as much that perform similarly based on MY preferences. I have about 75 soaps that I rate higher than Ethos. It is certainly an excellent soap, but for me, it just is not worth the price.

I suspect Frank expects to sell Ethos soap in combination with his post shave products. When used in combination, it may provide superior results. However, I do not typically use post-shave splashes, aftershaves, balms or serums, so for me the post-shave left me wanting.

Sorry, but that all depends upon your preferences in a soap. I tried a sample of Ethos, but was not impressed. I have soaps costing half as much that perform similarly based on MY preferences. I have about 75 soaps that I rate higher than Ethos. It is certainly an excellent soap, but for me, it just is not worth the price.

I suspect Frank expects to sell Ethos soap in combination with his post shave products. When used in combination, it may provide superior results. However, I do not typically use post-shave splashes, aftershaves, balms or serums, so for me the post-shave left me wanting.
YMMV is a true statement, I have not found anything that leaves my skin as smooth as Ethos, MDC. Without using their aftershave products. But your results are true for you.

Have great shaves

Doug

Some men have gone so far as to suggest that the scent of Arko might even put them off a little bit.

TOBS and DRH are excellent products. Arko isn't for everyone, or in some cases it isn't for everyone all the time. Step away from it now if it bothers you. Perhaps revisit it in a year or two and see if you have a different experience.

Or three.... :001_tongu

Cost.
Post shave.
Lather.
No beef scent.
No breakouts from animal fats.
They don't spoil.
Less harsh on natural hair brushes.
This is misleading information ranging from a gross over generalization to outright incorrect.

Both of the most economical soaps in my den are both tallow (Williams and Arko)

Best post shave I've experienced is a tallow soap (MWF) although this is a factor of many ingredients and processes... Same with lather

I've never smelled a beef scent,
broken out or had a tallow soap go bad.

I won't tell anybody what to believe, but I'd like to suggest to any new guys reading that post... Take it with a very big grain of salt.

This is misleading information ranging from a gross over generalization to outright incorrect.

Both of the most economical soaps in my den are both tallow (Williams and Arko)

Best post shave I've experienced is a tallow soap (MWF) although this is a factor of many ingredients and processes... Same with lather

I've never smelled a beef scent,
broken out or had a tallow soap go bad.

I won't tell anybody what to believe, but I'd like to suggest to any new guys reading that post... Take it with a very big grain of salt.
Fake news.

See how easy that is? The poster asked for our thoughts. The beef scent in tallow products exists and you can search B&B to find others talking about it. He specifically said he wanted away from Arko. You compared our experiences.

People aren't stupid. When they ask for opinions on an opinion board, they're going to get opinions. Going around "warning" people of "gross misinformation" is silly, as we all have unique experiences. People will eventually own all these soaps and form their own opinions anyway. What dangers or turmoil do you even think you're saving them from by telling them not to listen to one person you disagree with? It's not as if I offered dangerous advice. Get real. Come back down to Earth.

Fake news.

See how easy that is? The poster asked for our thoughts. The beef scent in tallow products exists and you can search B&B to find others talking about it. He specifically said he wanted away from Arko. You compared our experiences.

People aren't stupid. When they ask for opinions on an opinion board, they're going to get opinions. Going around "warning" people of "gross misinformation" is silly, as we all have unique experiences. People will eventually own all these soaps and form their own opinions anyway. What dangers or turmoil do you even think you're saving them from by telling them not to listen to one person you disagree with? It's not as if I offered dangerous advice. Get real. Come back down to Earth.
Not dangerous, just too over generalized to be worth anything and misleading enough to waste people's time and money. If I can save somebody from wasting time and money by needlessly going into wet shaving with what I assess to be misleading information, information that is then justified by the assumptions that everybody wants/can afford to try 50 soaps before finding what they're looking for then I have every right to state that opinion. You gave your opinion and I'm giving mine. OP and other forum members can do with the information as they see appropriate.

My biggest fear with the british,
tallow based MWF soap is “prions” .
Still,I use it nonetheless...

I use Arko (Bowl pressed) regularly I get a fantastic lather, and a great shave with it. I'm not wild about stick lathering, but I enjoy the soap and after it's bowl pressed it lasts a long time, $14 for 12, I find economical . As for the scent, a bit stronger than Williams used to be, I find it quite pleasant but how long does any soap scent last after your done shaving? After an Arko shave, my face feels good, no skin irritation

My biggest fear with the british,
tallow based MWF soap is “prions” .
Still,I use it nonetheless...

I'm not sure those prions are found in fats, but I was under the impression that a lot of soapmakers now use synthetic tallow.

Prions are a type of deformed protein. The process of rendering the animal fat to produce tallow would separate the meat proteins from the fats. Thus, I would not be concerned about getting mad cow disease from tallow soaps.

Thanks, that was my understanding as well.

Top Bottom